E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unlocking Passenger door from diver seat

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 07:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was picking up a friend yesterday with the engine running and I couldn't figure out how to unlock the passenger door without reaching over and pulling on the door handle. There has to be a button that allow me to comfortably open all passenger doors from the driver seat. Am I missing something here? car is '07 530.
Thanks.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2006

There is a button in the middle of the dashboard that if pressed once locks the doors and if pressed again unlocks the doors. At least its there for 2006 models and I dont believe 2007 is different.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:04 AM
Members

even the 2003's have it
Old 03-07-2007, 08:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by whentmets' post='399650' date='Mar 7 2007, 09:01 AM
There is a button in the middle of the dashboard that if pressed once locks the doors and if pressed again unlocks the doors. At least its there for 2006 models and I dont believe 2007 is different.
Thanks! I was just looking around the driver door (like most Japanese cars) and the Idrive area.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ya its by the emergency triangle. by the air vents if memory serves right.

Yup Japanese cars are all by the doors I like it in the middle... but i guess it doenst really matter.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It does seem that the German cars have it in the middle instead of on the door like most Japanese and American cars. I suppose it's in the middle so a passenger can operate it but in my opinion, the downside is that very often, I find myself outside the car with only the driver's door unlocked. Usually I'll want to open a rear door to get my briefcase out or something. In order for me to unlock the rear door, I have to struggle to reach into the car to press the button.

Maybe a switch in the middle and on the driver's door would be the best solution?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Members

if you got out of the car and you have the key with you, just press the unlock button twice and it will unlock all the doors.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='399697' date='Mar 7 2007, 06:20 PM
It does seem that the German cars have it in the middle instead of on the door like most Japanese and American cars. I suppose it's in the middle so a passenger can operate it but in my opinion, the downside is that very often, I find myself outside the car with only the driver's door unlocked. Usually I'll want to open a rear door to get my briefcase out or something. In order for me to unlock the rear door, I have to struggle to reach into the car to press the button.

Maybe a switch in the middle and on the driver's door would be the best solution?
Can't you hit the unlock button twice on the remote to open all the doors like my old Audi? If not I guess the dealer can set it for you.

In my UK spec car I can choose in i-drive whether one press of the unlock button on the remote will unlock just the driver's door or the whole car. I have set it to open all the doors otherwise I have the same issue when getting out of the car after turning off the engine and taking the remote fob out of the ignition in that only the driver's door unlocks on this action rather than all.

As I need to get my briefcase out of the back each time and don't want to keep having to hit the manual unlock button in the centre of the dash I have it set to open all doors both on entry and exit.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by Thirdy' post='399701' date='Mar 7 2007, 06:25 PM
if you got out of the car and you have the key with you, just press the unlock button twice and it will unlock all the doors.
Just beat me to it...
Old 03-07-2007, 09:41 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I don't mind the button being located in the middle. I do wish there was one button for open and one button for close. Or maybe the button could rock one way to open and the other way to close. Depending on who is opening doors manually with the handle, the center console button does one thing or another. I never spent the time to figure it out exactly, but sometimes you hit the button and it does the opposite of what you are intend to do.

Tom

Quick Reply: Unlocking Passenger door from diver seat