E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Universal Garage Opener RANGE PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I just bought a 2007 530i and I got the Universal Garage Opener to sync but it only open and close the garage when the car is inside of the garage. I tried to drive the car as close to the garage as possible but that didn't open either and it also mess up the 2 handheld remote and the wireless keypad mounted outside of the garage those stop working completely and I used a new battery also. I do have a Valentine1 radar detector mounted by the rearview mirror and I understand that could be my problem but it acts the same even when the radar detector is removed from the car. Can someone please help me with this issue. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

The V1 shouldn't be a problem cause I also have mine mounted right next to the rearview mirror. You probably resetted the receiving device on the garage opener when you were synching the Homelink in your car which means you have to re-sync those remote controls.

As for the range issue, not sure but maybe it's something to do with the antenae on the main opener?
Old 10-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='1030715' date='Oct 12 2009, 02:07 PM
The V1 shouldn't be a problem cause I also have mine mounted right next to the rearview mirror. You probably resetted the receiving device on the garage opener when you were synching the Homelink in your car which means you have to re-sync those remote controls.

As for the range issue, not sure but maybe it's something to do with the antenae on the main opener?
+1 On most garage door openers, there is a wire that hangs down, perhaps you should check into this?
Old 10-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Johnnycaox' post='1030707' date='Oct 12 2009, 05:01 PM
Hello, I just bought a 2007 530i and I got the Universal Garage Opener to sync but it only open and close the garage when the car is inside of the garage. I tried to drive the car as close to the garage as possible but that didn't open either and it also mess up the 2 handheld remote and the wireless keypad mounted outside of the garage those stop working completely and I used a new battery also. I do have a Valentine1 radar detector mounted by the rearview mirror and I understand that could be my problem but it acts the same even when the radar detector is removed from the car. Can someone please help me with this issue. Thanks in advance!
I had a Sears garage door opener from 1997 that worked flawlessly for eleven years - including its last two years with my e60's universal opener. Great range and never an issue. When the opener broke I replaced it with another unit from Sears. Sometimes I can open the door from 50ft away and at other times I can be parked less than 2ft from the garage door and have to press the universal opener up to 10 times before the door opens. On a few occasions I've used the same universal opener to open the second garage door and had to go into the garage and use the wall button to open the door. A couple of times when this has happened, I've gotten the remote that came with the opener to try to replicate the problem but it works fine. It also seems to be worse in hot weather. Basically, I think the universal opener just doesn't play well with my current opener.

I know it's not a solution but if you're using a Sears opener maybe that's an issue. Any chance of getting to program it with another opener to check it's range there?
Old 10-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Members

Thanks guys for all the input. Sometime my handheld take about 10 press to open the garage i think its the craftman. I had Liftmaster on my other house and it work great.