E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

UGH

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 06:15 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Originally Posted by Sluis530
nice! this thread took a turn for the worse.. I originally just wanted to share that I hate keeping my car clean in the winter. I was in no way complaing about how it handles in snow or bad conditions ( it actually performs great ). I guess when I said " Ill never drive this or any BMW in the winter" i went too far. Well on that note im done... hopefully this thread is too omg omg omg omg.. i think i just broke a nail
Ah come on man, this is just starting to get interesting.

I don't care who you are or how fantastic your driving skills are, a RWD car in the snow is NOT as safe as either a front wheel drive or a 4WD. No science to back this, I didn't complete a double blind study or anything like that, it's just seems to be common sense to me. Now can it be done and done safely...sure, but why the hell would you risk it if you didn't have too? Not to mention the damage that you are doing from the salt and cinders. I mean more power to you if you want, but respect to those of us that don't want to would be OK too - just because we chose to NOT drive them in the snow and salt and cinders because of the pain in the ass it is to keep them clean and the damage it does doesn't mean that you have to get defensive and try to rationalize your habits.

There are two issues here, 1. don't like driving in the winter because of the salt and cinders and washing the car/ damaging the car because of them, and 2. don't dive in the winter becasue of the potential for damage and lack of handling compared to an old jeep or some other AWD or 4WD vehicle in the snow. I happen to come down on the side of I don't drive my BMW in the winter because of BOTH. You may be different and that's OK, really. But don't come on here and try to convince us that your M3 handles just as good as any other AWD or 4WD in the snow, or that salt and cinders don't do damage to your car - you are only fooling yourself with that logic.

Somebody said something like "if you think your car will be worth more because you didn't drive it in the snow and salt, you're wrong" is the one who is more likely wrong. Really, you beleive this? How so? Take two identical cars. One sits in the garage all winter the other is out there tearing it up in the snow and salt all winter. Repeat this over 4 years. Number 1 the one that sat all winter will have less mileage. Number 2 the one that ran all winter will have more paint damage from salt and cinders and probably more likely to begin to rust, for rubber components to start to detriorate quicker, etc etc. sure, you can try to clean it up, but the fact remains it will have more wear and tear and be worth less - everything else being equal. So tell me how the car wouldn't be worth more that sits all winter?

Whatever. My car will be sitting in the garage till April - and I'm OK with that.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Originally Posted by gerrypd
I drive an XI and I love driving it in the snow.
now there's a car made for driving in the snow - damage be damned. My wife currently has a 325 XI and we've had a 330XI and an X5 - all three do phenominal in the snow.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009.5 E60 550i MSport 2011 E90 ///M3 ZCP

well OP,

I hate that the cars get dirty in the winter as well, one thing I'm afraid is bringing it to a random auto car wash to wash off the salt (ugh!). during the "non winter" months, I hand wash my cars at home, and wax them myself.

As long as you bring the car to a decent car wash, that will hose off your car before driving it in for the autowash, get the car waxed, you should be fine.

most german cars use high quality paint, like PPG-ish type, not mason. it's made to withstand such winter damages.

Anyways, no flame. Just enjoy your 5-er. Winter is when everyone whips out their highly engineered cars for the safety features!

oh and M3 drivers are a-holes. lmao (kidding!)
Old 01-10-2011, 06:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 bmw 530xi

can you say xdrive
Originally Posted by aretardedorange
I got to experience my first "experience" of RWD snow driving last night...parked at a driveway that was covered in maybe 2 inches of snow at most thought nothing of it...when it was time to get out car was stuck and wouldn't move. Had to shovel around the car and since it was below freezing most of the snow had frozen over it took an hour to get my car out of 2" of snow.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 bmw 530xi

yeah ok i believe you bro
Originally Posted by poleposition
ok thx

As a matter of fact, I do drive the M all over the place in the snow. The right set of tires and proper knowledge of how to drive in the conditions allows you to do so with ease. The only thing that stops me from taking the M is deep snow because the car is so low. Anything else, it can and has handled.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:31 AM
Contributors

BMW Snow and Ice training
Old 01-10-2011, 06:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by harlem
yeah ok i believe you bro

Old 01-10-2011, 06:35 AM
Contributors

Old 01-10-2011, 06:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

Originally Posted by advans
well OP,

I hate that the cars get dirty in the winter as well, one thing I'm afraid is bringing it to a random auto car wash to wash off the salt (ugh!). during the "non winter" months, I hand wash my cars at home, and wax them myself.

As long as you bring the car to a decent car wash, that will hose off your car before driving it in for the autowash, get the car waxed, you should be fine.

most german cars use high quality paint, like PPG-ish type, not mason. it's made to withstand such winter damages.

Anyways, no flame. Just enjoy your 5-er. Winter is when everyone whips out their highly engineered cars for the safety features!

oh and M3 drivers are a-holes. lmao (kidding!)
cool man, were on the same page... love your TWO rides. thanks
Old 01-10-2011, 07:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver 550i, with all the bells and whistles!!

Originally Posted by poleposition
Ridiculousness!

Its not a 29 Deusenberg. These cars were designed to work in the most extreme conditions. You PAID for that engineering. Thats why you drive a BMW. If you think it'll be worth more money when you go to sell it because it wasnt driven in rain or snow, you're mistaken. Drive your cars.

Exactly! I bought my car to drive it. every day! not gonna let old man winter stop me. I hate seeing the winter grime on my car, but it is just a car afterall.

drive it like you stole it man!!

Quick Reply: UGH