E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission slam

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 06:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2007

Why is this problem just now happening? I am wondering if some of the recent software updates have caused this problem? I have a 07 550i with 40K miles and it just strated to slam in the last couple of months right after I had a i-drive software update.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SPF Cobra #1019

Originally Posted by Cobra 427' post='898706' date='Jun 2 2009, 08:30 PM
Today, my SA left me a message on my home answering machine saying that a new transmission has been ordered and that he will update later.

I'll update this thread after I get my car back - I have no clue how long it will take to get the transmission and install it, etc... I don't mind - this X5 is kinda fun.

For the record, I purchased my '05 545i from this same dealer last year with ~49k miles as a CPO. I also purchased the extended maintenance from them. My 545i had almost 70k miles on it, when the SES light came on.

More later...
Well, yesterday a different SA left me a vmail on my home answering machine saying, "Car's done. Come pick it up. The tranny was: NO TROUBLE FOUND... blah, blah, blah..."

This morning I called my normal SA, and he told me that they flashed the tranny with the latest software and can't reproduce the Slam or Torque Converter jerking. They tried to order a new tranny, but the shop foreman couldn't get the authorization from BMWNA, or some such authority. He further told me that the Regional Field Manager will be at the shop next week, so I can bring the car back then and see what he says (assuming the problems persist).

My plan is pick up my car tomorrow, drive her around, see if she still Slams and Jerks, and if she's fixed, then great! If not, I'll be back to the dealer next week.

Someone wrote on this subject, "be persistent".

And the saga continues...
Old 06-07-2009, 04:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by psam550' post='900501' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:50 AM
Who is your dealer? SA?
BMW of Nashville TN
Ryan Lewis

And the car still runs great! No more transmission issues...
Old 06-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: '06 550i Sport Package

Originally Posted by SLICK50' post='903249' date='Jun 7 2009, 05:56 AM
BMW of Nashville TN
Ryan Lewis

And the car still runs great! No more transmission issues...
thanks.

Did they have to remove the tranny to replace the part? Cost of repair (assuming not under warranty)?
Old 06-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Contributors

update: it has been a month since the software update. no tranny slam
Old 06-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by psam550' post='903566' date='Jun 7 2009, 06:03 PM
thanks.

Did they have to remove the tranny to replace the part? Cost of repair (assuming not under warranty)?
Yes they did remove the tranny, They had the car for about 10 days... CPO = $50.00, not sure of no warranty cost...
Old 12-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Members

Sorry to bring back old thread....
I have very similar issue with my car and not sure if tranny slam.

Driving at low speed tranny/ car jerks a little bit and rpm jumping until speed up. I do feel bit of vibrate from 20-30mph.
Mine is 04 525i with 89K miles. Didn't drop the pan but drain and refill tranny fluid at 75K.

Would this be a slam issue? would reprogram software fix this issue?

Plz help..... =(
Old 12-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by tru350z
Sorry to bring back old thread....
I have very similar issue with my car and not sure if tranny slam.

Driving at low speed tranny/ car jerks a little bit and rpm jumping until speed up. I do feel bit of vibrate from 20-30mph.
Mine is 04 525i with 89K miles. Didn't drop the pan but drain and refill tranny fluid at 75K.

Would this be a slam issue? would reprogram software fix this issue?

Plz help..... =(

You sure you did a drain refill correctly? I mean technically since you didn't drop the pan, it's just that a drain/fill....which means you replace the fluid you put in with new....which I'm assuming was about 4 liters? I hope you didn't mix fluids. I'd only go with an approved fluid for that specific tranny, (Pentosin ATF) and make sure that you fill it correctly.....running the engine that is and under the ZF guidelines for temperatures while refilling.

If you've been driving it and it did not do anything most likely you did everything correctly. Perhaps you have some incorrect fluid levels at the moment? Or perhaps you also need to just do a tranny reset.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:47 AM
Members

lol thats absolutely kills me........ my heart stopped once, because i actually thought somebody smashed into me, i was in a daze for about 2mins wondering what da $%ck just happend....... especially when ur driving ur missus X5!!

can transmission reset cure that????
Old 12-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Space Gray

Originally Posted by Kzang
Can someone explain what a trans slam is?
i'm on my third E60 (2005 545(bought new), 2005 545 bought used in '07, now 2008 550)...BOTH of my 2005's had the slam...i only kept the first 2005 for one year, and the second one i had for three years...BOTH of them had this problem...
the best way i can describe it is this way.....
imagine driving through a residential neighborhood with many stop signs and you never really come to a complete stop at any of the stops....
as you slow down approaching the stop signs, but then begin to accelerate again without the complete stop...right as you accelerate it almost "confuses" the transmission and to ME it "slammed" into the gear after a hesitation of not knowing "which" gear it wanted....the result to you inside the car is a load noise, a "slam" feeling as if rear ended...it's unmistakable....if you have had you would know....
i was told WAY back in 2005 when the slam was newer in the posts that the "reprogramming" would help and it never did...i just ended up living with it...irritating as it was...although i got good at avoiding it....
on the second 545, purchased with 45k miles, within the first month of ownership i had my first slam....it was CPO and purchased with the extended warranty covering the wear and tear....again i went through the leaving it for two days with a "reprogramming"...but to no avail...i'll admit...on the second car, it did NOT happen for probably a year after the reprogamming...but eventually surfaced again....i used to cringe when not making a complete stop, as in approaching right turns at slow speeds or the WORST was coming to a red light that turned green before making the complete stop...i would tense up and go "LIGHT" on the pedal as not to "slam" it into gear....
i am one month into the 2008 550...with NO sign of this problem...i even tried to make it happen...but hopefully it's just one of the lucky ones with no symptoms...

cheers!

Quick Reply: Transmission slam