E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission slam

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

never had this problem since i had the software udated late last year, but then all of a sudden just last week BAM! sh*t happened again!!

i just pulled out of my garage, came up to an intersection slowly and as soon i pressed on the gas pedal (lightly i might add), i get a hesitation. kinda like a delay in throttle response. i see my tack/rpm go up (didn't notice how much) and car just sat there. then BOOOM! WHIPLASH! WTF!

hate when this sh*t happens . it doesn't happen all the time, hardly if ever. maybe its time to do tranny reset.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='877269' date='May 13 2009, 09:57 AM
hmm. could be. mine also only happens right after starting the car. 5-10 mins of operating, it goes away
I get a quick slam just as I start from the red light and only for the initial start. If I press the gas paddle slowly, then no slam and I never get any, after I started going, neither when I'm slowing down to stop at the red.

I always thought this is normal (I had hard time accepting it though). So is this also considered a slam?
I have about another 3 months left before I run out of warranty. If this is, I would like to get this fixed before I run out of this option.

thanks
Old 05-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jagbagri' post='877293' date='May 13 2009, 01:26 PM
I get a quick slam just as I start from the red light and only for the initial start. If I press the gas paddle slowly, then no slam and I never get any, after I started going, neither when I'm slowing down to stop at the red.

I always thought this is normal (I had hard time accepting it though). So is this also considered a slam?
I have about another 3 months left before I run out of warranty. If this is, I would like to get this fixed before I run out of this option.

thanks
mine is fixed...
Old 05-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Mine does the same thing. I noticed if I accelerate slowly after a red light it didnt do it. Since I just bought the car about a week ago, i havent really tested the theory about it doing it only when its cold or anything else. But I definitely will have them update software next time I bring it to the dealer. How long does the fix take? Meaning did you have to leave the car for more than a day at the dealer?
Old 05-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dalangi' post='877854' date='May 13 2009, 11:18 PM
Mine does the same thing. I noticed if I accelerate slowly after a red light it didnt do it. Since I just bought the car about a week ago, i havent really tested the theory about it doing it only when its cold or anything else. But I definitely will have them update software next time I bring it to the dealer. How long does the fix take? Meaning did you have to leave the car for more than a day at the dealer?
i had a few things done. i was to recieve my car 24 hours after it was picked up but it took longer. I suspect there was another pick up in my area the following day which caused the delay. i am 45 mins from my dealer. when the guy showed up to drop my car off, i mentioned to him i put 10 bucks of gas in the loaner because he gave it to me empty, anad that it was again empty. he told me he was gonna gas it up because he was picking up another car down the road. convenience for the dealership cause me a day of inconvenience because WOW... that 09 328 was a piece of doo doo compared to my 535.

anyway, the software update should only take about 30 mins, however they have to then let yoru car fall in to sleep mode, which takes about 45 mins. i had a software update after my ipod install. took about 3 hours.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:20 AM
Senior Members

People that are experiencing this problem is on a regular automatic or sports automatic trans?
Old 05-14-2009, 08:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by Kzang' post='878088' date='May 14 2009, 02:20 AM
People that are experiencing this problem is on a regular automatic or sports automatic trans?
Both I believe, (mine is a regular Steptronic that BMW replaced).
Old 05-14-2009, 09:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='877263' date='May 13 2009, 12:51 PM
no. if i had the car in D at say, a red light, and i went to drive off at green, when i lift my foot off the brake, the car would slam into gear.
I've had this issue for a while now and i've mentioned it to my SA several times in the past. I actually have the car at BMW as I write regarding this issue plus several others that I wanted looked at. I'll keep all of you posted regarding this issue. It usually happens more during cold starts but it's been happening more frequently so I figured I'd have it looked at again. The problem is exactly as described above. I did get a new 09-328I as a loaner which I really enjoyed driving. I love the new I-drive and software. I wonder if we'll be able to update our software to the new one. anyone?

Rick.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

I get transmission slam in only this situation:

I'm in DS, I brake to pull into my company parking lot, it's a downhill ramp so I am applying brakes until I get to the level of the basement parking. I stop braking, put my foot 'gently' on the gas as I make a slight right and SLAM, it downshifts from whatever gear I was in to 1st and also squeals the tires if the traction control is off. I've got used to shifting into D when pulling in now so it doesn't happen.

It's shifting 'down' as the rpms are increasing, counter to the usual situation of shifting up when rpm increase to the shift point. It's a lag in the software that monitors the downshift point or its downshifting multiple gears too quickly. The software needs its hysteresis mapping modified.

I'll have to look at my service record to see what they did about it last time, as it turns out it didn't seem to help for long.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Members

First post, but long time lurker... I took my 04 545 in yesterday for this same issue. This is the second time, the first time they updated the software but of course that did not work. The shop foreman was able to duplicate the issue and said that it is the transmission. They have taken the transmission out and as of this morning they are still waiting to hear from BMW as to what actions to take next. Will keep the board posted. In the meantime they gave me a 08 525 loaner to kick around.

Quick Reply: Transmission slam