E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission slam

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by SLICK50' post='879715' date='May 15 2009, 04:06 PM
First post, but long time lurker... I took my 04 545 in yesterday for this same issue. This is the second time, the first time they updated the software but of course that did not work. The shop foreman was able to duplicate the issue and said that it is the transmission. They have taken the transmission out and as of this morning they are still waiting to hear from BMW as to what actions to take next. Will keep the board posted. In the meantime they gave me a 08 525 loaner to kick around.
**Creepy!**A member since October and haven't posted until today?? Good luck with the repairs, you will be AMAZED at how differently your car will drive with a new transmission!
Old 05-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Members

Well my car is still at the dealer but I hope someone here can help me out. They told me that they are going to replace the "Megatronic Sleeve" on the transmission. What in the world is that? Has anyone on here ever heard of this before? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 535d M Sport

I've had the same issue for several months on my 535d now. Here's what has been done:

1st visit) Transmission found to have too much fluid, some fluid drained out.
2nd visit) Transmission adaptation values reset. Gearbox OK for about 100 miles, slam returned.
3rd visit) Whole car re-programmed. Gearbox OK for about 200 miles, slam returned.

Car is booked in again for next tuesday/wednesday for an oil service and to have the gearbox issue looked at again. I'll report back with any useful info...
Old 05-20-2009, 06:26 PM
Members

Well I got my car back today after they replaced the "MECHATRONICS" on the transmission (part number 1 24-34-7-571-233) and it drives like a brand new car! This car has never felt this way since I bought it 8 months ago! Its a good thing it's a CPO because it only cost me $50 out the door. They also have to reprogram the car after the install. After doing a search for "MECHATRONICS" on the board I noticed a few people have mentioned this in the passed but were ignored. This seems like the right fix for this issue. BTW the "MECHATRONICS" controls all of the electronics within the transmission. Hope this helps someone with similar issues.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Members

i had this transmission slam issue even until now. however, i have realized that this can be avoided just by slightly changing my accelerating habit. for my case, the slam only happens when i am braking until the point of near stopping(the car does not stop), and at the same moment, suddenly press the accelerator. therefore, if i brake until the car stops for one or two seconds( wait until the clutch engage, and downshift), i won't encounter the slam issue anymore.

PS: to me the slam doesn't feel like transmission slam, instead it feels more like sprinting in a manual car( where u press the accelerator and release the clutch instantaneously)
Old 05-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by unlimited90' post='885199' date='May 21 2009, 12:18 AM
i had this transmission slam issue even until now. however, i have realized that this can be avoided just by slightly changing my accelerating habit. for my case, the slam only happens when i am braking until the point of near stopping(the car does not stop), and at the same moment, suddenly press the accelerator. therefore, if i brake until the car stops for one or two seconds( wait until the clutch engage, and downshift), i won't encounter the slam issue anymore.

PS: to me the slam doesn't feel like transmission slam, instead it feels more like sprinting in a manual car( where u press the accelerator and release the clutch instantaneously)
I agree. Even after getting a supposed software fix that didn't quite fix it, I could probably make it happen again if I worked at it because it's now an unconcious act to avoid it. However, I do have a bit of problem with BMW and ZF for not finding a solution to a problem that is so widespread in vehicles (BMW, Jaguar, and others) that cost so damn much. It really is a fundamental quality issue that simply would never be found in a Japanese car. I suppose that in the end, they know I will put up with it because on the whole, the car is otherwise superior.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SPF Cobra #1019

I've been in email discussion with my SA about two transmission problems:

1. Between 30-40MPH in "D" and at 50MPH+ in "DS", the torque converter will lock/unlock/lock/unlock, resulting in a jerking sensation. At first he said it was normal. So, I'm been waiting for the problem to recur - it's intermittent, however when it gets into the "mode" the problem occurs constantly.
2. The infamous "tranny slam" from a rolling start.

So, last Thursday I took my '05 545i to the dealer, because the SES light came on. The "torque converter" jerking problem was not occuring, but he asked about it and about the "slam", and then he introduced me to shop foreman, who said that they will try a few steps to fix the transmission, but ultimately they may have to replace the transmission <- yes, that's what he said.

Also, the SA said that my passenger seat air bag sensor was under recall... He said that it may not be until Wednesday that I hear back from him.

So, they gave me an '09 X5 Diesel to drive as a loaner, and off I went... I want to buy one for my wife, so getting an X5 for loaner was good, so she can test drive it without a sales-weeny in the back seat. Anyway...

Today, my SA left me a message on my home answering machine saying that a new transmission has been ordered and that he will update later.

I'll update this thread after I get my car back - I have no clue how long it will take to get the transmission and install it, etc... I don't mind - this X5 is kinda fun.

For the record, I purchased my '05 545i from this same dealer last year with ~49k miles as a CPO. I also purchased the extended maintenance from them. My 545i had almost 70k miles on it, when the SES light came on.

More later...
Old 06-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: '06 550i Sport Package

Originally Posted by Cobra 427' post='898706' date='Jun 2 2009, 08:30 PM
For the record, I purchased my '05 545i from this same dealer last year with ~49k miles as a CPO. I also purchased the extended maintenance from them. My 545i had almost 70k miles on it, when the SES light came on.
Who is your dealer? SA?
Old 06-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: '06 550i Sport Package

Originally Posted by SLICK50' post='885060' date='May 20 2009, 07:26 PM
Well I got my car back today after they replaced the "MECHATRONICS" on the transmission (part number 1 24-34-7-571-233) and it drives like a brand new car! This car has never felt this way since I bought it 8 months ago! Its a good thing it's a CPO because it only cost me $50 out the door. They also have to reprogram the car after the install. After doing a search for "MECHATRONICS" on the board I noticed a few people have mentioned this in the passed but were ignored. This seems like the right fix for this issue. BTW the "MECHATRONICS" controls all of the electronics within the transmission. Hope this helps someone with similar issues.
Who is your dealer? SA?
Old 06-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by ivan545' post='876180' date='May 12 2009, 12:10 PM
Ok guys for those of you that have transmission slam, what did you do?

Drop it off at the dealer, have them look at it, can't find the problem? I've done that a few times

Have them do the update CIP? I've also did the latest updates

Contact bmw? i don't have their info.

How can i contact bmw rep? INfo phone number anyone, i've tried doing a search, i know there is someone here that works for bmw here.
Hope this helps:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=77101&hl=

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=77591&hl=

Just to let you know my tranny is still slammin and I don't mean this in a good way....

Rick..

Quick Reply: Transmission slam