E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission Putting into Gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 03:41 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 530i & 88 325
Default Transmission Putting into Gear

So recently I had issues with my transmission going into Malfunction mode, and after doing filter, seals and fluid change I have not had many more issues. Unfortunately last night car went into malfunction mode, and came home checked the codes and they were the same ones I had thrown before so cleared it figured that would be it. But now I have no codes but my car will shift to all gears but when in reverse will no just rev as if it is not actuated. Same for Drive. Just will sit and rev. I had read that some have had issues with the actual shifter being bad or the shifter solenoid going out. But any one that has related issues or can tell me where to start looking that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-04-2016, 06:50 PM
New Members

Ok so just giving an update on my current findings, lifted the car and see that the cable linkage that some had said can disconnect leaving the car from moving was connected properly but didn't seem to have been the issue. Though I did notice a leak from the from of the bell housing, turned the car on got it to the transmissions operating temp and pulled the fill plug to see if the fluid was good. Nothing came out and completely dry when I placed my finger in. Im assuming no Trans fluid will allow the car to shift into gear but not to actually engage the car to move?
Old 09-05-2016, 12:31 PM
New Members

Old 09-05-2016, 07:21 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

If the car was level *and* the engine turned on, there should be no fluid coming out or just a very small trickle. Now, if none comes out, you don't really know if you are low unless you have the trickle.

But, if the car is off and nothing comes out, you are low on transmission fluid. You cannot check the fluid level with the engine off.

The difference between engine on and off is that there is fluid locked up in the operating transmission that collects back into the transmission oil pan when the engine if off.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:53 PM
New Members

Ok so here is a little update since I finally got around to working on the car. I have checked the oil and noticed with it shut off there was no trickle or anything. So I went and added more oil.

So let me ask about this because I am so not sure what the problem is, I can use the shifter to put the car into gears but nothing really happens. Before I placed it into Reverse I would feel it move back to start driving in reverse. I checked the linkage under the car by the transmission and can move it from drive to neutral and you can hear it click. But still when in any moving gear the car just revs and no codes are being shown on INPA. Is there a throttle link to the transmission that could be disconnected?
Old 09-11-2016, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 300 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

What model do you have? How many miles? What issues where you having that prompted you to change the fluid and seals?

Do not add oil when the car is off (only with the initial fill you add with it off). There is a refill procedure you must follow to get the correct amount in the transmission. I would drain and restart the procedure. After the procedure is complete do a trans reset in INPA and see what you get.

You did change the pan with the filter, right since its the only way to change the filter. What seals did you change? Did you drop the valve body? We need all the info to help you. Their are a few of us on this forum that have brought transmission back to new but with the lack of info no one will be able to help you. There is also a DIY on transmissions on this site. I would check that out and maybe you can answer your own questions. Trust me its worth the search!!
Old 09-11-2016, 03:33 PM
New Members

I have a 2007 530i, 140K

Since I recently purchased this car it gave me the jerky shifts from 2-1, then had it go into the Transmission Malfunction mode. I had used INPA to clear the codes and I have a thread about that experience. So followed the steps that had been shown from the DIY thread. When I added more, I did have the car lifted, level and at the transmission temp that is recommended using INPA to check the temp.

I changed, the pan that has the built in filter, oil (of course), Sleeve Replacement, and Transmission valve body seals.

No valve body drop, I wanted to see if this would resolve some of the issues till I could eventually afford to get the valve body serviced and new Solenoids ordered. I know its not going to fix the issues but at least it could be a bit of preventative till I had the money to get the larger tasks done.

And I forgot to reiterate the reason for why im now having issues with my transmission is that it can shift into gears but the car does not move.

Last edited by Chilango1986; 09-11-2016 at 05:35 PM.