E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission Problems / Slam

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i

Originally Posted by dimsum' post='794199' date='Feb 16 2009, 02:11 PM
+1 mine got resolved with a new transmission (under CPO warranty). Good Luck getting your issue resolved.
How did you guys go about establishing the problem with the dealer? It's not easy to predict when it's going to happen.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Will Greer' post='794457' date='Feb 17 2009, 03:09 AM
How did you guys go about establishing the problem with the dealer? It's not easy to predict when it's going to happen.
This is EXACTLY the problem I am having.
I'd be interested to know how you guys managed it, if it comes down to it I'll print off this thread and email it to the dealer!
Old 02-17-2009, 06:24 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by chris f' post='794692' date='Feb 17 2009, 04:12 AM
This is EXACTLY the problem I am having.
I'd be interested to know how you guys managed it, if it comes down to it I'll print off this thread and email it to the dealer!
Well, first I told them of the slam problem. They took the car in and although they could not duplicate the problem, they did a transmission reset. I drove the car around for a week or so and that didn't help.

Then I requested a test drive with the shop foreman who drove the car with me. Of course, wouldn't you know it, he couldn't duplicate it so we switched and I drove. I was able to duplicate the slam once and he said he knew exactly what that was.

They took the car in and later wrote that "mechanical checks" indicated that the car needed transmission replacement. That was it. They didn't go just looking for computer codes but actually got their hands dirty to check the transmission the old fashioned way and were able to find the fault.

Good luck to you guys. I hope you can get it resolved...
Old 02-17-2009, 07:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Silver/Grey E60

I had this problem on my 04 525i.

The dealer replaced my transmission under the CPO. I had to take it in 2 times before this because of the transmission slam... Finally, the third time I took the car in for the same issue i told my service adviser "I don't want the car back until its fixed. Then i tried to play the "car is unsafe" bit.

I think if you keep taking the car in for the same thing they'll get frustrated and switch it out.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Sports, Premium and dynamic packages

In my case I described as the "jerk", however, the tranny would slam from 2>>1 gear along with jerking motion driving in different gear modes. I will be blunt with you, I kinda thru a tentrum at the dealership because of this problem and told them that I would refuse to drive (70 miles daily) in an unsafe car. Keep in mind that I bought the car on a Saturday car was fine, Sunday=fine, comes Monday I started noticing these problems while driving to work. So basically the car had been in my hands for 2 1/2 days and it went into the dealer.

I dropped the car off Tuesday night which was Nov 4rd, the car stayed at the dealer until Dec 2nd. I REFUSE to take the car back until problem was fixed. One time they called me a week later and said car if fixed, as soon as I drove off the dealer, it started and I drove right back and told them to fix it right this time around...you have to fight with them in a way.

PS: Not sure if you were able to create a pattern...in my case, when car was cold in the morning tranny slamming for the first 20 min. then it would gradually go away. I know how frustrating it is and I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me and I can even PDF the invoice if that helps.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:20 AM
Members

I'll be honest with you guys, I have had my E60 for 6 months and its been nothing but trouble ever since day 2.
Its only a 2005 with 22k on the clock.
It broke down (battery collapsed) the day after i bought it and its had loads of problems ever since.
  • Airbag system failure twice
  • Battery collapse
  • Battery lead needed replacement
  • PDC sensors fail
  • Drivers door speaker failed
  • No service history
  • Window system failure
  • Transmission slam issue

Are just some of the faults I have experienced. I have given the dealers enough opportunities to get it fixed (its been in 5 times) but its still not right. I am now rejecting the car under the sale of goods act and am now seeking legal advice.

I'm just gathering information to prove that mine is not an isolated case and that others have experienced this unusual and difficult to prove fault.

Any more info guys is more than appreciated.

Val: that .pdf would be brilliant if you could get it to me.

Thanks again guys... i'm standing up for the little guy.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Sports, Premium and dynamic packages

I'll PDF to you tomorrow.

If any consolation, I had a few things that needed attention and once I got these little problems fixed, it has been a great car, no issues (knock on wood).

PS: On a CPO, it is always good to get the history report, it gives you an indication of how the previous owner took care of the car...some do and others don't!
Old 02-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Sport Package, Titanium Gray II Metallic, Wheel Style 124

Originally Posted by ValE60' post='795072' date='Feb 17 2009, 11:46 AM
In my case I described as the "jerk", however, the tranny would slam from 2>>1 gear along with jerking motion driving in different gear modes. I will be blunt with you, I kinda thru a tentrum at the dealership because of this problem and told them that I would refuse to drive (70 miles daily) in an unsafe car. Keep in mind that I bought the car on a Saturday car was fine, Sunday=fine, comes Monday I started noticing these problems while driving to work. So basically the car had been in my hands for 2 1/2 days and it went into the dealer.

I dropped the car off Tuesday night which was Nov 4rd, the car stayed at the dealer until Dec 2nd. I REFUSE to take the car back until problem was fixed. One time they called me a week later and said car if fixed, as soon as I drove off the dealer, it started and I drove right back and told them to fix it right this time around...you have to fight with them in a way.

PS: Not sure if you were able to create a pattern...in my case, when car was cold in the morning tranny slamming for the first 20 min. then it would gradually go away. I know how frustrating it is and I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me and I can even PDF the invoice if that helps.

had the same issue Dealer updated software regarding jolt from 2nd gear to 1st... months later i had severe slamming for a few days i had a schedule oil change and the slamming went away shortly after.