E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission Problems / Slam

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I'm looking for people who may have had the same issue as me, I am currently in dispute with a BMW dealer that I bought my car from and would like to know if anyone else has had the same problem with their car as I am having with mine. I have a 530d sport 2005 model.

Basically I am having an issue where I go to pull away from a standstill, for example out of a junction or onto a roundabout and the car pull away but not with any power. The best way to describe it is like pulling away with a badly slipping clutch in 2nd gear, then all of a sudden the slip is gone and the car surges away.

This only happens occasionally so is very difficult to illustrate to the dealer to get them to fix it. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

The bad news - this happens to just about all of us. And it is very disturbing when it does happen. The good news - you can get rid of it for a certain period of time by flashing the transmission's programming.

I won't try to replicate the explanation here - but if you do a forum search on "transmission slam" (include the quotes to search on the phrase), you'll find there is a lot of discussion about that problem as well as the "patch". I hate it too!

Best luck,
Old 02-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Members

Thanks for the advice, I have seen other posts detailing this but I just wanted a definitive list of people that this has happened to rather than search around and cobble together some information on numbers of people affected.

Seems bizarre that a car so expensive would have such a disastrous fault, my old 2002 E39 530d did not suffer from this fault and it had exactly the same gearbox.

Its a bit hair-raising when you go to pull out and a car is approaching faster than you expected, you put your foot down and nothing happens...
Old 02-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Sports, Premium and dynamic packages

Hey, I am not sure if this is exactly what you are going thru; however, this is the problem that I had back in Nov/Dec and the dealer finally got it fixed...hope this helps! There were several posts about this issue, do a search it will be helpful.

This is to everyone out there with gear problems and you Smarty:

I recently bought my 545i and noticed that in certain gears the car would "jerk" like all of you; since I am still under warranty I took it to the dealership. They first reset the tranny, it did not work. My boyfriend and I test drove the car with the technician and the shop foreman and duplicated the jerking motion in different drive modes (D, DS & M). We left the car there, got a loaner and told them to call only when the car was fixed! Well, it is fixed and it drives like a dream! THEY REPLACED THE MECHATRONICS MODULE, the invoice reads: "it had faulty shorts for EGS, after replacement of mechatronics I programmed and encoded complete vehicle including CAS. I cleared all adaptations in vehicle and re-teached adaptation values." In other words, they replaced the transmission module.
I just thought that all of you should know what to look for since I was afraid that I had a lemon in my hands...

Good luck
Old 02-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

I've continuously lived with the experience that suggests that our cars tend to start off in 2nd, but drop into 1st when they sense that we want more out of them. Mine does this regularly but, towards the end of last year, it got positively ponderous. A couple of things I did:

1. The "hold the accelerator down for 25 seconds" reset works wonders on the transmission for most complaints. If you haven't already, do a search on this and try it out. You will be pleasantly surprised.
2. The ponderous behaviour of my tranny got sorted by a software update my dealers did under warranty.
3. Sprint Booster
Old 02-15-2009, 11:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Full agreement with the others, perform the 25 second transmission reset!
Old 02-16-2009, 12:09 AM
Members

Sorry guys, maybe I didn't make myself clear, I'm not after a resolution because I have tried all the transmission and throttle reset steps, they make no difference long term.
I am not satisfied that this is a trait of a ?50,000 car when a ?12,000 Ford doesn't suffer from it.
I should not have to reset my gearbox every few days because the car drives like a bag of shit and the point I am trying to make is that I want the dealer to take some responsibility for their product.

So... if anyone here has had this issue please let me know, if you have had it resolved permanently, please state how.

Thanks very much in advance.

Chris
Old 02-16-2009, 07:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

Originally Posted by MacSid' post='793795' date='Feb 16 2009, 12:37 AM
3. Sprint Booster
Really? How does a Sprint Booster help?
Old 02-16-2009, 07:28 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by chris f' post='793829' date='Feb 16 2009, 04:09 AM
Sorry guys, maybe I didn't make myself clear, I'm not after a resolution because I have tried all the transmission and throttle reset steps, they make no difference long term.
I am not satisfied that this is a trait of a ?50,000 car when a ?12,000 Ford doesn't suffer from it.
I should not have to reset my gearbox every few days because the car drives like a bag of shit and the point I am trying to make is that I want the dealer to take some responsibility for their product.

So... if anyone here has had this issue please let me know, if you have had it resolved permanently, please state how.

Thanks very much in advance.

Chris
Hi Chris, I had the same issue. My dealer resolved it permanently by replacing the tranny under warranty. Hope this helps.... Good luck.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Members

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='793990' date='Feb 16 2009, 08:28 AM
Hi Chris, I had the same issue. My dealer resolved it permanently by replacing the tranny under warranty. Hope this helps.... Good luck.

+1 mine got resolved with a new transmission (under CPO warranty). Good Luck getting your issue resolved.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problems / Slam