E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 09:38 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Henrik' date='Apr 27 2005, 01:20 PM
I have a 530 daT build 03/2004 and I just recently upgraded to CIP 16.2. Seems like fixing the "bang" problem in the gearbox??
[snapback]120925[/snapback]

COOL!! Thanks for the report. What transmission do you have? I assume Step since this is mainly about step.

I'm in for 16.2 on 5/16 hoping for transmission BANG fix too.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d Touring '04

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Apr 28 2005, 07:38 AM
[quote name='Henrik' date='Apr 27 2005, 01:20 PM']I have a 530 daT build 03/2004 and I just recently upgraded to CIP 16.2. Seems like fixing the "bang" problem in the gearbox??
[snapback]120925[/snapback]

COOL!! Thanks for the report. What transmission do you have? I assume Step since this is mainly about step.

I'm in for 16.2 on 5/16 hoping for transmission BANG fix too.
[snapback]121180[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have the steptronic.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:54 AM
Members

How many kilometers does your car have. I had some problems as well but turbo related plus a noise as well in the gearbox. They changed the gearbox oil and it seems to work a bit better. A friend of mine has a 530 d as well and they changed the gearbox....(automatic) under warranty. There is a "kind" of known problem on the 530 d due to the high torque that it delivers.... Go to your BMW dealer and ask him. Good luck
Old 07-03-2005, 06:40 AM
Members

My Ride: Range Rover Td6 Vogue 09/2005 (replaced: 730d, November 2003, orientblue metallic, brown leather interior). Also 525i touring 2001, Audi convertible 2004, Alfa Romeo Giulia 1300TI 1969

I have a 2004 model 730d and I have exact the same problems you mention for 18 months now.

I experience a slam or whining noise when accelerating strongly from approximately 80 km/h.

I experience the car changing between 5th and 6th gear while driving a constant speed of 80 km/h.

The worst thing is that after accelerating the car from very slow speeds (like rolling into an intersection and flooring the pedal from almost standstill) first nothing happens and then full power sets in, forcing the cars ESP to set in.

The dealer had the car for four times now. A BMW engineer drove the car, said that it is not ok (which is an extremely rare event first of all) and the reprogrammed the transmission, changed the transmission oil and said that they would change the transmission. Which in the end they didn't.

I haven't used the car for almost a month now because I am totally ****. The dealer told me that it is not a fault but merely a "comfort issue".

I wish I lived in the US and would be able to give the car back. Here in Germany there is nothing you can really do but never buy a BMW again.

Regards
Jens
Old 07-03-2005, 07:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i/ Olive Green/ Beige Dakota Lthr/ Sport Pkg/ Premium Pkg/ Cold Weather Pkg/ Dark Polpar trim/ Logic7/ Comfort Seats/ Rear Comfort Pkg/ Steptronic/ Euro red reflectors/ iPod Interface

Well lads, I hate to admit it but my MY04 545 has the lag problem too and it sucks. It's just really confusing. I haven't addressed the issue with my dealer because it is so hard to reproduce.

But the way, isn't this forum great to vent how jacked up our $50k+ cars are?
Old 07-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Senior Members

Contact the person at ZF in your area, who is responsible for the BMW account. They seem far more flexible and able to please as well as having the most up to dat software for your transmission, more up to date than what BMW have.
The software upgrade takes about 10 minutes.

Streak

My Landrover Horror Story
Old 07-07-2005, 05:17 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d SE saloon M57 3.0d, born March 2004. automatic gearbox, amethyst grey, beige dakota leather, servotronic steering, sport steering wheel, auto dim mirrors, poplar wood trim, comfort seats, xenon headlights, advanced air con, star spoke wheels with run flat tyres, sat nav professional, 6 disc CD changer, service inclusive

I have transmission problems similar to those described here on my 2004 530 diesel automatic. In my case the car has been through a series of ?cycles?. It first went into the dealer with clutch slip but apparently the whole engine management system crashed while it was plugged into the dealer system being fixed.

Afterwards I first experienced the car?s refusal to change up from 4th gear in normal automatic mode. Just wouldn?t do it. Had to move to steptronic. Car then changed up but was noisy (rumbly) in steptronic mode.

Car would recover and change properly in auto, but thereafter became laboured with significantly worse fuel consumption ? only about 28/29 to the gallon on open road driving ? terrible for a diesel. There would be occasional repitition of the 'refusal' problem.

Car would then go into the dealer. They would apparently ?fix? it. Car would be great for between one and three weeks. Then one day I?d get the gear change refusal problem again. As someone else said, it takes you by surprise. Thereafter the car would lapse back into the laboured/poor consumption mode before going into the dealer to be fixed again.

I have now been through this cycle four or five times with the car going into the dealer on as many occasions, each time for them to try something different. Remedies have included plugging it into the system so that analysts in Germany could investigate it; replacing the torque converter and, when that didn?t work, having someone out from zf to reprogram it. Each time the car has come back great with excellent consumption ? but only for a week or two.

It?s as though, once the ?refusal? incident has occurred, the car can?t get back to its correct settings, hence the labouring. Also, the fuel consumption is abysmal when it?s in this mode. Since I last reset the details on the car?s computer, it shows I?ve done 2000 miles at an average speed of 40mph with the car returning 29.4 to the gallon. This is nothing like the manufacturer?s claims ? it should be between 35 and 40 to the gallon.

Typically, the range left in the tank drops significantly, normally by 80-100 miles per tank, once the transmission problem has occurred.

Fortunately, the car has done the ?refusal? trick while in the dealer?s care, hence they replaced the torque converter.

The gearbox hasn?t been changed yet ? just the torque converter. My problem has an air of ?engine management malfunction? about it, rather than a mechanical fault, but that?s just a feeling ? it?s obviously very difficult to tell.

I?m obviously now wanting my money back or a new car and talks are in progress with the dealer. Am currently dealing with the ?your experience is quite normal? routine from them (you can say that again, judging by the posts on this board?.)

The ?dealer principal? has offered to try the car.

Remarks anyone? Sorry this is such a long post, especially as it?s my first on this board. Has anyone else experienced the problem I?ve got ? with the associated fuel difficulty?