E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 12:21 AM
dvw
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Streak,

could you give me some feedback on the new gearbox?
Yesterday I went to the dealer and they want to give it another try with a software-update.

Can you give me more information about 'our' gearbox-problem (under what ID,name, description is this problem known at BMW HQ).
This way I can push my dealer to look for this problem. For the moment he's not informed about such problem -dixit my dealer)

Thanks in advance.

DVW
Old 11-16-2004, 02:09 AM
Senior Members

DVW,
Just got the car back yesterday. It's too early to tell if the new gearbox has fixed the grinding gear change problem and I have not driven the car enough to see what other differences there may be.

I will try and get some info for you which will help you when talking to the dealer. Software will not fix the grinding problem.

They are still trying to find out what is causing the wandering rpm's at idle and at 1100 rpm.

Streak
Old 11-16-2004, 09:04 AM
Members

My Ride: Current... 2005 545i Black/Black/Anthracite, Sport Package, Steptronic, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, Cold Weather, Fold Down Rear, Sirius.
Unhappy

Originally Posted by streak' date='Nov 16 2004, 04:09 AM
DVW,
Just got the car back yesterday. It's too early to tell if the new gearbox has fixed the grinding gear change problem and I have not driven the car enough to see what other differences there may be.

I will try and get some info for you which will help you when talking to the dealer. Software will not fix the grinding problem.

They are still trying to find out what is causing the wandering rpm's at idle and at 1100 rpm.

Streak
[snapback]56722[/snapback]
All,
I'm very close to buying a 2005 E60 and was considering the steptronic. I'm a little leary now......... My 1999 528 has the 5 speed manual.
If you had it to do over... would you go for the manual?
Thanks,
Spartacus_33
Old 11-16-2004, 12:50 PM
roger uk

Originally Posted by dvw' date='Oct 15 2004, 07:32 AM
Hi,

Since I got my car (may 2004) I'm having problems with the auto tranny (I think it's the transmission)
I will do my best the explain the situation/problem.
When I drive my car at 80-90 km/h and when I floor the pedal, the transmission makes ' a hiccup ( ? no other way to explain this), it's . It's not a hesitation like described in other topics here online of having to wait almost a second before the accelaration takes place, but a real mechanical issue (between 3-4 and also 4-5 gear). Sometimes a real hard bounce, my passengers ask me 'what the hell was that!' :'(
My dealer told me it could be a software issue, but after installing 13.23 I still have this problem. The longer this continues, the more I'm getting sure that indeed a mechanical problem is the cause.? ?

Another time I visited my dealer there was an engineer from BMW Belgium, he told my keep driving until the problem was getting too serious (I wouldn't have to be afraid that my car would stop driving, he said ). Then they would change my transmission (under warranty of course)
Thing is: I don't want to wait until this happens, I want a car that runs perfect (well considering the software-issues, that's too optimistic) not a car that has the hiccup!!

Someone else having this problem?
[snapback]45081[/snapback]
Old 11-16-2004, 12:51 PM
roger uk

Originally Posted by dvw' date='Oct 15 2004, 07:32 AM
Hi,

Since I got my car (may 2004) I'm having problems with the auto tranny (I think it's the transmission)
When I drive my car at 80-90 km/h and when I floor the pedal, the transmission makes ' a hiccup ( ? no other way to explain this), it's . It's not a hesitation like described in other topics here online of having to wait almost a second before the accelaration takes place, but a real mechanical issue (between 3-4 and also 4-5 gear). Sometimes a real hard bounce, my passengers ask me 'what the hell was that!' :'(
My dealer told me it could be a software issue, but after installing 13.23 I still have this problem. The longer this continues, the more I'm getting sure that indeed a mechanical problem is the cause.? ?

Another time I visited my dealer there was an engineer from BMW Belgium, he told my keep driving until the problem was getting too serious (I wouldn't have to be afraid that my car would stop driving, he said ). Then they would change my transmission (under warranty of course)
Thing is: I don't want to wait until this happens, I want a car that runs perfect (well considering the software-issues, that's too optimistic) not a car that has the hiccup!!

Old 11-16-2004, 01:01 PM
roger uk

[/quote]
[snapback]56919[/snapback]
[/quote]

the problem you quote i have suffered
a few years ago i had a problem with a 525 auto (hesitation on change) you would not believe that my dealer has a ferret, a techy who is passionate about finding
funky quirks where no fault shows on diagnostics. It turned out to be 2 plug coils breaking down with a higher resistance. this caused a voltage problem which the OBC sensed as a gear box fault. Not believable!!!!! believe it!!!
your prob maybe software, could be gearbox comp out of synch with enginge comp

Find youself a ferret!!!!
Old 11-16-2004, 08:28 PM
Senior Members

Hi Spartacus welcome,
Yes I would do the Steptronic again. As annoying as these problems are they will be sorted out. Every write up you read will tell you how the 3.0D and the Steptronic box are a marriage made in heaven.

The experts tell me in fact that the 0-60 mph times are quicker in the steptronic box than in the manual!!
Old 11-17-2004, 02:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Welcome to the Forums Spartacus_33!

Skaffa
Old 11-17-2004, 06:34 AM
Members

My Ride: Current... 2005 545i Black/Black/Anthracite, Sport Package, Steptronic, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, Cold Weather, Fold Down Rear, Sirius.

Originally Posted by streak' date='Nov 16 2004, 10:28 PM
Hi Spartacus welcome,
Yes I would do the Steptronic again. As annoying as these problems are they will be sorted out. Every write up you read will tell you how the 3.0D and the Steptronic box are a marriage made in heaven.

The experts tell me in fact that the 0-60 mph times are quicker in the steptronic box than in the manual!!
[snapback]57089[/snapback]
I really pride myself in doing my research before making such a substantial purchase, trying to avoid "buyers remorse". I read somewhere in these forums yesterday where someone wrote, "the single most important (option) decision is selecting the type of transmission for the E60.

As I mentioned earlier, I currently have a 5-speed manual in my 528i. I really would like to get away from the clutch with my next car, (E60). The steptronic problems that most everyone is having is rather un-nerving. Reading chats on the SMG forum...... they all seem to love them and really don't mention any problems. With the SMG, I'm concerned about "down the road maintenance" problems.

The standard 6-speed manual sounds like the safest option........any comments on the Steptronic vs. SMG?
Old 11-17-2004, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

I did not notice that you were in the USA that would exclude the diesel as an option for you. In that case needing steptronic is less of an issue.

Keep in mind however that the "problems" reported by most are not complete failure issues but rather observations by picky owners (myself included) whose observations of what is perceived to be a problem quite often is a design feature.

Drive the Steptronic before buying amd see if you like it. We have had it on our X5 for 2 years with no problems at all.

Streak

Quick Reply: Transmission problem