E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 12:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an update:

I have now been informed that my gearbox will be changed under warranty. The wandering rpm's that I have noticed is due to a problem with the torque converter and since I have had problems with mechanical noices from the gearbox as well, it has been decided that the entire gearbox will be changed. I will get the new gearbox in a few weeks. This far, the tech at my BMW dealer has been superb at finding out the source of my problems and dealing with it properly!
Old 11-26-2004, 02:24 AM
Senior Members

Hi Oreo,
I am pleased to hear that you are being well looked after. Since my transmission change no more grinding gear changes.

The problem I do still have though is that at idle, the revs move up and down slightly and if you take the revs to about 1100rpm (while in park)they move around quite wildly with popping/missing noises coming from the engine. Does your car do this?

BMW and ZF are still scratching their heads over this one and hope to find a solution soon.

Streak
Old 12-03-2004, 07:00 AM
Contributors

Good news !

To day my dealer accepted that my problems with the transmission and the "shifting RPM" only can be solved by chaning both the gear box and the "converter"..

So both will be changed under the warranty...

Peter
Stockholm

PS Thanks to ?rjan from Uppsala (Sweden) who helped me, as he had the same problems
Old 12-03-2004, 10:08 AM
Members

Sound slike what I have too, my car banged so hard yesterday 5 times

Heres the deal the ZF box when it works is great but there is a fault in the clutch design and the regulation with the valve body from downshifting and if there are any software glitches which most cars have it will translate into these symptoms.

replacing the tranny wont help so the software needs to be perfect.

The severerty mY 545i has last night was 10 times more harsher and rough than my Jaguar

I thought My Jaguar was bad I sued them and won over this issue, it lurches the car foward and you can hit a pedestrian

I just hit 500 miles car is going in Monday for sure

If this becomes a repeat issue Im gettign out of my car ASAP becasue It cost me alot of $$$$$$ to be bumping and banding around NYC everyday, passengers look startled when it happens, I will not stand for it one bit.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:10 AM
Members

Another issue is the Throttle by Wire in the ECU, it sucks!

Never works 100%
Old 12-03-2004, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by 2004RType' date='Dec 3 2004, 08:10 PM
Another issue is the Throttle by Wire in the ECU, it sucks!

Never works 100%
[snapback]64072[/snapback]
And another one is "software updates", since the drivers settings are lost and the tranny needs to learn and adapt the drivers style of driving again.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dvw' date='Oct 15 2004, 01:32 PM
Hi,

Since I got my car (may 2004) I'm having problems with the auto tranny (I think it's the transmission)
I will do my best the explain the situation/problem.
When I drive my car at 80-90 km/h and when I floor the pedal, the transmission makes ' a hiccup ( ? no other way to explain this), it's . It's not a hesitation like described in other topics here online of having to wait almost a second before the accelaration takes place, but a real mechanical issue (between 3-4 and also 4-5 gear). Sometimes a real hard bounce, my passengers ask me 'what the hell was that!' :'(
My dealer told me it could be a software issue, but after installing 13.23 I still have this problem. The longer this continues, the more I'm getting sure that indeed a mechanical problem is the cause.? ?

Another time I visited my dealer there was an engineer from BMW Belgium, he told my keep driving until the problem was getting too serious (I wouldn't have to be afraid that my car would stop driving, he said ). Then they would change my transmission (under warranty of course)
Thing is: I don't want to wait until this happens, I want a car that runs perfect (well considering the software-issues, that's too optimistic) not a car that has the hiccup!!

Someone else having this problem?
[snapback]45081[/snapback]
I m from CROATIA ...I also have this same problem....I bought car in MAY2004 ( 530d)and registered in start of JUNE..First i back to dealers and they say that is with software problem and they put new software...then problem not gone..again i back to dealers and they say thatmust put new gearbox.. KM was around 15000...when they put new gearbox everything was right ....BUT I THINK PROBLEM WAS BACK AGAIN....Now i have around 34000km ...everthing was fine until now....PLEASE ...WHAT TO DO NOW??? PLEASE HELP....
Old 04-27-2005, 09:27 AM
Senior Members

Hello Sango,
I have the same MY car as you and had the same gear change problems.
At first they changed the transmission but this did not help. They then called in the country manager from ZF transmssions. He loaded an updated version of the gearbox software (takes 5 minutes) from his laptop directly into the gearbox. Since then no more problems.

Keep in mind that it takes a number of months for the ZF software to be included in the latest BMW software so make sure that the dealer gets hold of ZF to do the download, they know about this problem and how to fix it, many of the BMW dealers do not.

Please let me know how you go.

Streak

My Landrover Horror Story
Old 04-27-2005, 09:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by streak' date='Apr 27 2005, 06:27 PM
Hello Sango,
I have the same MY car as you and had the same gear change problems.
At first they changed the transmission but this did not help. They then called in the country manager from ZF transmssions. He loaded an updated version of the gearbox software (takes 5 minutes) from his laptop directly into the gearbox. Since then no more problems.

Keep in mind that it takes a number of months for the ZF software to be included in the latest BMW software so make sure that the dealer gets hold of ZF to do the download, they know about this problem and how to fix it, many of the BMW dealers do not.

Please let me know how you go.

Streak

My Landrover Horror Story
[snapback]120838[/snapback]
THX Streak for fast replay...i will tell them sure...i have 7000km to first inspection at around 41000km...i will tell you when i back from dealers...THX one again
Old 04-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 530d Touring '04

I have a 530 daT build 03/2004 and I just recently upgraded to CIP 16.2. Seems like fixing the "bang" problem in the gearbox

Quick Reply: Transmission problem