E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission malfunction / 2010 550i

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 08:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
I would not replace anything until you get a code. There is no way your car had a trans failure and there was no code recorded. Is this a euro Indy shop or just a shop. If it is just a shop then they are not going to see the code because they do not have the right tools to troubleshoot a BMW. I went through the same thing for years and was told I needed a reman. I finally got feed up with it and trouble shot it myself and figured out the issue.

Before throwing parts at it and spending money get a code first. If you're going to have it for a while I would suggest you getting a copy of INPA and a K+DCAN cable to check things out for yourself. It will save you a lot of grief.

Their are a few DIYs about the E60 transmission on this forum that covers your issue extensively but without a code you're shoot darts in dark.
I took my car into the shop again this morning, and my service advisor said that there was no code recorded. Given that I had a transmission malfunction warning light that led to my having to shut the engine off, he thought it was unusual that there was no code recorded, but he's seen it happen before. I already had the fluid changed the first time that this issue happened (thanks for the suggestion, y0itzflip). The mechanic who changed the fluid at that point said that it appeared darker than he would have expected at 35K miles, and that this was a sign of transmission wear.

I'm a bit at a loss as to what to do, at this point. I'll likely take it to another shop to see whether they can make heads or tails out of this issue.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:46 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 550i
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by TAmes
I took my car into the shop again this morning, and my service advisor said that there was no code recorded. Given that I had a transmission malfunction warning light that led to my having to shut the engine off, he thought it was unusual that there was no code recorded, but he's seen it happen before. I already had the fluid changed the first time that this issue happened (thanks for the suggestion, y0itzflip). The mechanic who changed the fluid at that point said that it appeared darker than he would have expected at 35K miles, and that this was a sign of transmission wear.

I'm a bit at a loss as to what to do, at this point. I'll likely take it to another shop to see whether they can make heads or tails out of this issue.
Ask your mechanic to use Rheingold or similar diagnostic app to read transmission adaptation values and post them here. I suspect they have replaced the transmission fluid they likely reset adaptation values. At 35k miles you should not have problems with tranny other then brought 2nd to 1st shift unless the car spend most of its life on the track. I would first replace solenoids before swapping/rebuilding transmission. Though it is strange that it gets into limp mode without triggering error code...
Old 09-04-2019, 06:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tpaxadpom
Ask your mechanic to use Rheingold or similar diagnostic app to read transmission adaptation values and post them here. I suspect they have replaced the transmission fluid they likely reset adaptation values. At 35k miles you should not have problems with tranny other then brought 2nd to 1st shift unless the car spend most of its life on the track. I would first replace solenoids before swapping/rebuilding transmission. Though it is strange that it gets into limp mode without triggering error code...
Thanks for the suggestion. My SA has recommended swapping/rebuilding transmission, which I'd prefer not to do, so I'm open to any alternatives.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:22 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 550i E60
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N62

I've had transmission error code problems on my 2008 550i. It threw many codes, i forgot exactly what they were but i remember one was the crankshaft position sensor. Turns out it was my IVM module got water damage. Here's a link about the IVM that helped me solve my problem. I'd pull it out and inspect it for water damage.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=850578
Old 09-04-2019, 02:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by NFJ79
I've had transmission error code problems on my 2008 550i. It threw many codes, i forgot exactly what they were but i remember one was the crankshaft position sensor. Turns out it was my IVM module got water damage. Here's a link about the IVM that helped me solve my problem. I'd pull it out and inspect it for water damage.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=850578
Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 09-05-2019, 07:11 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 550i
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by TAmes
Thanks for the suggestion. My SA has recommended swapping/rebuilding transmission, which I'd prefer not to do, so I'm open to any alternatives.
With transmission adaptation values being at their extreme it is likely you need your tranny repaired/replaced. Have them read and publish in this thread.

Take the IVM module and inspect the pcba for cold solder joints. If you find them repair the board.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:34 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 550i E60
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N62

No problem!

I bought my IVM on Amazon from BMW/Mini of San Francisco for $103 shipped.