E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transfer case smoked?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 09:27 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 525xi E60

God blessssss America and BMWs forums
Old 02-06-2017, 08:54 AM
New Members

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My Ride: 08 M5 + 10 535xiT = M5 6MT Touring
Model Year: 2010, 2008

Originally Posted by Woptech
Hi amesser325,
First I want to say I am new to forum and don't know how everything works, so please forgive me if I make mistakes.

I have a 07 525xi that was giving me problems with the TC actuator motor like yours, I replaced the motor with a used one, but I reuse the resistor that was on my burned motor cause the one I installed didn't have one, now seems that the ABS, the DSC and the AWD are working, BUT....... the DSC and the 4x4 warning lights are on, the car drives ok except when I push on the gas that start to shake, seem to have no power and the engine light comes on, but goes away if I stop and restart the engine, I scan it with a cheap tool Autel AL419 and gives me only a cyl6 misfire, but nothing else especially on the transmission, my question is..... do I have to change the resistor? do I have to delete the value on the one I have? How did you do yours? What's that ISTA/D? where do I get one? Is there any other way to reset that value?

Hope I made sense with my description, hang help would be much appreciated and thanks to everyone
ISTA/D is the BMW service software. Copies can be found with little effort on the web, but you'll also need an interface cable. There are inexpensive options, and there are really cheap options... I bought the one recommended by bmwcoder(.)com and had zero issues. You could also buy a kit from Rheingold/USA for reasonable that is a complete plug in solution.

With the shaking, it seems to be a mechanical issue, but the resistor change could swing the control of the clutches to cause that. Why did you replace the actuator as a first step? Were there any warning codes in the dash? I don't ask to chastise - just looking to understand what all troubleshooting has been done. It's been a good while since I went through this so I'm a bit rusty but if I recall correctly the resistor should be tied to the actuator, then the car needs to run through a calibration sequence knowing the resistor class. For that you'll need either ISTA/D or have a good dealer/independent connect and do that.

You need to have some sort of BMW-specific reader. All the generic tools only read the OBD codes (hence the misfire). There are aftermarket tools that do (Carly, I believe is one) you just have to be diligent and read up on them. By no means am I saying you need to spend a ton of money, but with electronics becoming integrated into cars more and more, investing is a more complete reader package is highly advisable. If you're a 'BMW guy' it's easier to justify buying a tool that you'll use for the next several BMWs you have. If you move to a different marque you could include that in the sale of your car as an incentive.

Good luck!

Andy
07 530xiT 6MT
13 335i 6MT
17 S1000R (on order!)