E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Oil Filter Housing Gasket Resulted in Extra Job :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 11:05 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Stock 2008 535xi
Default Oil Filter Housing Gasket Resulted in Extra Job

Bought an '08 535xi w/68k miles a couple months ago. Turns out it needed the oil filter housing and cooler gaskets replaced, as oil was visible along the front of the block, and running down the right side. The longest part was taking off all the things necessary to get to the cooler and housing: cabin air filter and filter trays, plastic beauty cover, air box and feeder tubes, and intake manifold--just to get to the back filter housing bolt.

Well, another thing that had to come off in my case (since I didn't have a E10 ratcheting wrench) was the thermostat coolant hose flange held on w/two 10mm bolts. It was in the way of one lower filter housing bolt. Unfortunately, when I disconnected the flange it cracked such that the o-ring that seals it to the block probably wouldn't fit correctly!

Since I was working at a garage about 15 miles from home, I was able to fit the broken end of the flange into the connection so the o-ring sealed enough that it didn't appear to leak before I left, so I drove home. Of course when I got there, fifteen minutes of highway driving later, a small puddle started forming in my driveway. Time to replace the thermostat coolant hose. This is where the fun began.

To replace the thermostat coolant hose, you have to pull the water pump and associated coolant hoses. Not to onerous sounding, but man it it a tight fit (at least on the N54 engines)! I managed to avoid pulling the pump entirely, and got away with only removing the three mounting bolts and two quick-release thermostat hoses. Cutting the old hose off near the end with a box cutter gave a bit more room to work, but still not a fun job in the driveway on rhino ramps.

Why do I post all this? Just to warn anyone that's planning on replacing their oil filter housing gasket, get an E10 wrench like this youtube vid (see 14:02), or be prepared for the extra step of replacing the thermostat coolant hose.

Last edited by think3mm; 02-06-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:08 PM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

I feel your pain. I'm in the middle of a radiator replacement, and while I'm "in there", I'm replacing the oil housing and cooler profile gaskets along with everything else. My job is also including the water pump and thermostat as preventive maintenance since I bought those parts 3 years ago and have been carrying them around in the trunk ever since. The pump and thermo are original and they have 190,000km on them - probably a good life expectancy. I guess I'm lucky I have a heated garage at home and all the tools (except that racheting E10...) that I need for the job. Now I think I'll have to order that E10 tool too. Hello Amazon!
Old 02-06-2017, 02:52 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Stock 2008 535xi

Originally Posted by audiophool
I feel your pain. I'm in the middle of a radiator replacement, and while I'm "in there", I'm replacing the oil housing and cooler profile gaskets along with everything else. My job is also including the water pump and thermostat as preventive maintenance since I bought those parts 3 years ago and have been carrying them around in the trunk ever since. The pump and thermo are original and they have 190,000km on them - probably a good life expectancy. I guess I'm lucky I have a heated garage at home and all the tools (except that racheting E10...) that I need for the job. Now I think I'll have to order that E10 tool too. Hello Amazon!
Yes, the E10 wrench looks like a time-saver, but if you're in it that deep, probably want to change that thermostat coolant hose anyway. Thus you could just use a 10mm socket like I did? Anyway, good luck! And I hope you have something to catch all the radiator fluid so you don't mess up that nice heated garage.