E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Touch Screen I-Drive (and Navigation)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 07:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='212999
Heck, I can vote with a touch (voting machine), I can withdraw money from the bank with a touch (ATM), I can get an airplane boarding pass with a touch (self-serve kiosk), and heck I can even order and buy something as pedestrian as a Big Mac with a touch. Yet, I can't do the same with my BMW.

I couldn't agree with you more that in all the examples you gave a touchscreen is the perfect input device. One thing that they all share is the fact that when you use them you can give them your full attention. While you are using the ATM, voting, buying a plane ticket, or a Big Mac you don't need to give your concentration to anything else, certainly not driving a moving vehicle on the road.
[/quote]

Ok, maybe the advantages of touch-screen for the I-Drive isn't all that great (but, just maybe); however, I think the advantages of touch screen for the NAV cannot be gainsaid. Imagine how easy it would be to input addresses with touch-screen functionality?
Old 12-18-2005, 10:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

once you set your initial settings, how much do you really use the i-drive anyhow? Other then Nav, is it not quite straightforward? One thing I will say is I wish the gauges were sexier. I testdrove a Lexus 430 and the dash and gauges were definitely sweet to look at. I wish BMW had a bit more exciting gauges...not a big deal but certainly caught my attention when I saw other cars.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Sound PKG, Cold PKG, STEP Tranny, Power sun shades, fold rear seats, rear seat heating, PDC, Nav

Originally Posted by Knubblo' post='212743
Audi's next generation roadster TT, to be named Shooting Brake, (and its entire platform in fact) will feature touch-screen navigation/MMI.

The Japanese makers already have it in their high-end cars (e.g. Lexus LS and GS), and no doubt they will let it trickle down to all of their models in the next few years.

BMW - when will YOU bless us with this feature (I hesitate to use the word technology as it might throw off some of the good folks here as that word tends to connote cutting-edge, new, different, unexpected, but I digress ...).

Just think with touch-screen, none of those nags at the car mags will be able to dock you points on the comparison test drives for having "a less than intuitive I-Drive system"!
I have a Lexus RX300 with touch screen. Easy choice on which one I prefer, yes, I prefer iDrive. Why? The sticky fingers, smudge on the screen that always needs a cloth close by to sweep the screen.

/Knubblo
[/quote]

In my buddies Lexus coupe, the Nav touch screen system DISABLES when he is driving....whats up with that!?!? I think it has to do with the liability factor about touching the screen while you are driving...

I-Drive all the way ppls!!!
Old 12-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Trev550i' post='213079' date='Dec 18 2005, 11:44 PM
once you set your initial settings, how much do you really use the i-drive anyhow? Other then Nav, is it not quite straightforward? One thing I will say is I wish the gauges were sexier. I testdrove a Lexus 430 and the dash and gauges were definitely sweet to look at. I wish BMW had a bit more exciting gauges...not a big deal but certainly caught my attention when I saw other cars.
I agree with you about the gauges, in fact I feel like the whole of the BMW interiors have taken a step backwards in terms of design/layout with the advent of I-Drive. Don't get me wrong, I like I-Drive ... alot. It's just that I miss the driver-centric layout (e.g. airplane cockpit) feel of the previous generation BMWs, like the E46 and E39.

That being said, one thing that does bug me alot about the Lexus interiors is the overuse of buttons and knobs -- there are so many gosh darn things to push, pull, turn, twist, etc., ... makes me almost feel like I'm playing foozeball, or something. That's one thing that BMW has done right, simplified the cockpit area and, while it may be Spartan to the eye, it is easier to use (yes, I-Drive is easier to use vis-a-vis other car systems).
Old 12-19-2005, 02:24 PM
Contributors

I had the touchscreen on my lexus GS and RX before getting my 530. I prefer iDrive. I thought I wouldn't, but I really LOVE iDrive!!!!

james
Old 12-19-2005, 02:31 PM
Senior Members

Yes, E60 dash, may look too simple compared to let's say the new A6 or A8. It may look a little bit too cheap. Maybe some can say that, but nobody who actually drives one can say it's not easier to use.

Simple but efficient. Driving oriented this time, not driver oriented.

Also think that BMW dash at night look a bit too simple, isn't it? After a while, we do understand way too well why only red lights on dash. Because the dash lights do not need to be some corolful discoteque/club. It's just some info while you drive THE machine.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

is it at least a WEE bit more exciting to look at with the Navigation screen? I agree with the driving experience etc, but still, when a car is that expensive, you do...at least I personally feel it SHOULD be like a cockpit inside...adds to the fun and the coolness. Just how bad IS it compared to others...the A6 or A8 is pretty nice is it?
Old 12-20-2005, 09:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='212755' date='Dec 18 2005, 11:32 AM
This is one thing that I can't understand. Critics have slammed iDrive for taking too much of the driver's attention away from the road yet a touch screen takes one's eyes away from the road more than iDrive would. A touchscreen only has visual feed back, you have to look at the screen to see where your desired selection is, then you have to keep looking at it to make sure your finger touches the right part of the screen. With iDrive after a whle you learn where some of the selections are and how to reach and select them without even looking.
There is sure point!!

Skaffa
Old 12-20-2005, 10:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Simple solution:
Make iDrive come with both a touchscreen AND the dash controller.

I'd prefer using the controller while driving but using a touchscreen while parked. Touchscreen would only be useful for typing in long addresses into NAV.

And add some baby wipes next to the screen to wipe off your hands first.

You guys realize that this point is moot right? In the future everything in the car will have voice recognition. Using YOUR OWN HANDS to drive? How primitive!
Old 12-20-2005, 11:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 14th Oct 05 delivery, 525d SE Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Dark Poplar, Adaptive Xenon, Prof Radio, Prof Nav, 6 CD Changer, BT, Advanced A/C, Electric Seats, Heated Front Seats, Thru Load/Ski Bag

The touch screen on my Jaguar was much easier to use than the iDrive.

However, the position of the iDrive screen is much better than the position of the Jaguars screen. The Jaguar screen position was dictated by fact that it had to be accessible/touched by people of all shapes and sizes in a safe manner

Quick Reply: Touch Screen I-Drive (and Navigation)