E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Touch Screen I-Drive (and Navigation)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 08:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audi's next generation roadster TT, to be named Shooting Brake, (and its entire platform in fact) will feature touch-screen navigation/MMI.

The Japanese makers already have it in their high-end cars (e.g. Lexus LS and GS), and no doubt they will let it trickle down to all of their models in the next few years.

BMW - when will YOU bless us with this feature (I hesitate to use the word technology as it might throw off some of the good folks here as that word tends to connote cutting-edge, new, different, unexpected, but I digress ...).

Just think with touch-screen, none of those nags at the car mags will be able to dock you points on the comparison test drives for having "a less than intuitive I-Drive system"!
Old 12-17-2005, 11:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='212716' date='Dec 18 2005, 06:33 AM
Audi's next generation roadster TT, to be named Shooting Brake, (and its entire platform in fact) will feature touch-screen navigation/MMI.

The Japanese makers already have it in their high-end cars (e.g. Lexus LS and GS), and no doubt they will let it trickle down to all of their models in the next few years.

BMW - when will YOU bless us with this feature (I hesitate to use the word technology as it might throw off some of the good folks here as that word tends to connote cutting-edge, new, different, unexpected, but I digress ...).

Just think with touch-screen, none of those nags at the car mags will be able to dock you points on the comparison test drives for having "a less than intuitive I-Drive system"!
I have a Lexus RX300 with touch screen. Easy choice on which one I prefer, yes, I prefer iDrive. Why? The sticky fingers, smudge on the screen that always needs a cloth close by to sweep the screen.

/Knubblo
Old 12-18-2005, 12:32 AM
Contributors

This is one thing that I can't understand. Critics have slammed iDrive for taking too much of the driver's attention away from the road yet a touch screen takes one's eyes away from the road more than iDrive would. A touchscreen only has visual feed back, you have to look at the screen to see where your desired selection is, then you have to keep looking at it to make sure your finger touches the right part of the screen. With iDrive after a whle you learn where some of the selections are and how to reach and select them without even looking. Even when you do need to look, the look does not have to last as long or be as often as with a touchscreen. For example, you may quickly look and see that the item you want to select is four lines down from the current position, all you have to do is turn then knob until you feel four clicks and then push the knob, all without needing a second look at the screen. The clicks and the forced feedback are great tools to minimize the number of times and the length of time that one needs to look at the screen. With a touchscreen even if you use if for years you still need to look at the screen for every selection you make and make sure when your finger reaches the screen that it is actually going to touch the right area......there is no feedback or getting used to with extended use.

Another inherent advantage to the BMW system is the placement of the screen. It is very high up and deep into the dash. It requires less eye movement from the road to the screen than most (if not all) touchscreens. Most touchscreens are placed lower and closer to the driver because the driver needs to be able to reach it with his hands. So because of the screen placement it is easier to look at the iDrive screen and still keep an eye on the road than most touchscreen systems.

Yes, touchscreens are great and easy to use. I love using them at work and everywhere else, OTHER than in my car. It would be cheaper for BMW to use a touchscreen system than their current system, so there must be a good reason why they don't. I would not want a touchscreen system in my car......let me keep my iDrive and give me an improved voice command system, together they should be much safer than a touchscreen system.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 2002 545i sport pckg,sirius,active steering,grey on black

I agree wholeheartedly! Touchscreens are IMHO inherently

"bulky" in terms of cockpit ergonomics. I-drive let's

you keep your eyes on the road.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='212716' date='Dec 18 2005, 12:33 AM

The shooting brake is only one of three versions of the TT - the shooting brake is just a concept & may not even make production.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 530iSE, Black Saphire with beige leather, auto, lux pack, comms pack, viz pack, power mirrors, 122 wheels

Oh great blue and white roundel in the sky, please don't go down the touchscreen route!

Apart from smudges and distractions,

Thick fingers mayfind it dificult to use accurately and ergonomically it is preferable not to have to stretch to a screen to interact with the system. Even MB hasn't gone down this route, the new S Class seems to have an input device a bit like our iDrive control!

Touchscreens are great in many circumstances but I am not convinced that the car is the place for it. Anyone with experience with the Jaguar system? I think they have touchscreens.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by Brendan' post='212775' date='Dec 18 2005, 01:05 PM
Thick fingers mayfind it dificult to use accurately and ergonomically it is preferable not to have to stretch to a screen to interact with the system.
For thick fingers, I reckon it would be Ok with a 22" touch screen .

Whats wrong with voice commands.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

I agree with the comments given here. I have only had my car for a few days and I love the I-drive. I still have a bit to learn but it is so easy to use. I would not want a touch screen because you would have to lean up to use it rather than the very comfortable position of the I-drive control. Not to mention the smuggy screen. BMW, please keep it like it is. Furthermore, I do not understand why the media hates I-drive so much. Yes, at first it is intimidating, but after just a short while with the car its benefits become obvious.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

My father has an LS4300 with a tocuhscreen. It is always covered in fingerprints. I don't like them at all. i think the I-drive controller is a much better system. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

No touchscreens please! BMW has it right -- the others are the one's that got it wrong!!

Quick Reply: Touch Screen I-Drive (and Navigation)