E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Touch Screen I-Drive (and Navigation)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 08:16 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Add me to the list to keep what we have for all the reasons listed previously. The only improvement I see needed is SPEED. How frustrating would it be in a touchscreen scenario if you press and do not get immediate feedback, press same item again, or go to another selection? It's the lack of an immediate response that frustrates users. So faster processors and better code (designed for speed of response and fault free) is my take on what it would take to make iDrive nearly perfect not going to touchscreen.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='212836' date='Dec 18 2005, 12:16 PM
Add me to the list to keep what we have for all the reasons listed previously. The only improvement I see needed is SPEED. How frustrating would it be in a touchscreen scenario if you press and do not get immediate feedback, press same item again, or go to another selection? It's the lack of an immediate response that frustrates users. So faster processors and better code (designed for speed of response and fault free) is my take on what it would take to make iDrive nearly perfect not going to touchscreen.
Agree 100%. Just some faster response times, and we'd be set.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d

Fully agree ! Keep the iDrive !!!!!
Just to mention, on the new IS220 (Lexus), OK you have a touch screen. But (well that's the case over here in Europe in any case), in order to program Navigation, you have to have the car being STOPPED ! Yes, that's right, no nav programming while on your way !!! So just keep the iDrive !
Old 12-18-2005, 09:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='212716' date='Dec 18 2005, 12:33 AM
Audi's next generation roadster TT, to be named Shooting Brake, (and its entire platform in fact) will feature touch-screen navigation/MMI.

The Japanese makers already have it in their high-end cars (e.g. Lexus LS and GS), and no doubt they will let it trickle down to all of their models in the next few years.

BMW - when will YOU bless us with this feature (I hesitate to use the word technology as it might throw off some of the good folks here as that word tends to connote cutting-edge, new, different, unexpected, but I digress ...).

Just think with touch-screen, none of those nags at the car mags will be able to dock you points on the comparison test drives for having "a less than intuitive I-Drive system"!
Hi ipse d:

Germans are very fastidious so we'll never have touch screen. If you drive a German car, you should not have finger prints on your screen. Or, maybe BMW knows the Seimens VDO would be incapable of developing the required software in a finite period of time--which is more likely.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Touch Screens suck.

End of story.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

I have a 2006 Range Rover with a touch screen, and it is absolutely head and shoulders superior to the BMW system. Without a doubt. Touch screens with secondary voice and/or idrive-like knob control are the way to go.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='212716' date='Dec 17 2005, 11:33 PM
The Japanese makers already have it in their high-end cars (e.g. Lexus LS and GS), and no doubt they will let it trickle down to all of their models in the next few years.
It's already there in other models. My friend's 2005 Honda Odyssey minivan has a touch-screen nav. So does the Toyota minivan.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:03 PM
Senior Members

Fine, for those that do not want touchscreen functionality, BMW should at least make it an option for those that do (me, for instance).

Heck, I can vote with a touch (voting machine), I can withdraw money from the bank with a touch (ATM), I can get an airplane boarding pass with a touch (self-serve kiosk), and heck I can even order and buy something as pedestrian as a Big Mac with a touch. Yet, I can't do the same with my BMW.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I have a touchscreen in one vehicle and iDrive in the other. I can say with complete certainty that over time, iDrive wins hands down. The touchscreen concept grabs you at first but after time, you realize how much more concentration it takes to use it since you have to always focus on where you're going to be touching next. This takes attention away from driving much more than a quick glance at the iDrive screen while your hand is already on the controller.

The biggest key here that I don't think was mentioned is the "force feedback" on the controller knob. Many times, all I need to do is glance for less than a second at the screen and I'll be able to accomplish more than one command just by "feeling" the clicks. In other words, I see where I am and I see where I need to go (slide up twice, turn two clicks, etc.) very quickly. Once that's in my head, I can move the controller while my eyes are still on the road...
Old 12-18-2005, 06:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='212924' date='Dec 18 2005, 03:03 PM
Heck, I can vote with a touch (voting machine), I can withdraw money from the bank with a touch (ATM), I can get an airplane boarding pass with a touch (self-serve kiosk), and heck I can even order and buy something as pedestrian as a Big Mac with a touch. Yet, I can't do the same with my BMW.

I couldn't agree with you more that in all the examples you gave a touchscreen is the perfect input device. One thing that they all share is the fact that when you use them you can give them your full attention. While you are using the ATM, voting, buying a plane ticket, or a Big Mac you don't need to give your concentration to anything else, certainly not driving a moving vehicle on the road.

Quick Reply: Touch Screen I-Drive (and Navigation)