E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Totaled or Repairable???

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Sorry to hear about your wreck and its good that nobody was hurt. I have a friend with a Z3 M with a Dinan Supercharger that had very substantial collision damage - not his fault. He was sure it was totaled, but the local BMW dealer collision repair guys restored it to like-new condition. It took them many weeks and around $26,000 but it looks great and drives like new. The bottom line is that it depends on who fixes it, so if your insurance company insists on repairing it, make sure you get it repaired at an authorized BMW center.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='628798' date='Jul 20 2008, 10:02 PM
Sorry to hear about your wreck and its good that nobody was hurt. I have a friend with a Z3 M with a Dinan Supercharger that had very substantial collision damage - not his fault. He was sure it was totaled, but the local BMW dealer collision repair guys restored it to like-new condition. It took them many weeks and around $26,000 but it looks great and drives like new. The bottom line is that it depends on who fixes it, so if your insurance company insists on repairing it, make sure you get it repaired at an authorized BMW center.
BMW always stresses that, and there's a reason why. I wouldn't want my corner mechanic doing anything on my BMW, especially knowing how unique the cars are set up and how foreign cars are always a "hassle" for them.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:44 AM
Members

Most important is that everyone is okay in the car... i know the car doesn't look okay, and by looking at some parts relating to chassis, i think this is a goner.... and if they somehow do decide to work on the car until it looks great, i wouldn't even trust driving it... and safety is important, so the final decision is very obvious...
good luck!!
Old 07-21-2008, 03:59 AM
Senior Members

Damn, glad you are ok! I would hope they total that. Bring it to a really pricey shop!
Old 07-21-2008, 04:40 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by Bteljuice' post='628652' date='Jul 20 2008, 10:34 PM
The E60 is an excelent car. The car just looks this bad because it is designed that way.the car absorbs 70-85% of the shock so that YOU DONT GET HURT. The car is designed perfectly to be a shock absorbent.

As Bteljuice wrote, good to see that the car did its job well and you walked away from the accident. Interesting to see that the car also did a good job of absorbing the impact from an SUV, i.e. not a direct hit on the bumper but on the trunk.

I hope all goes well for you at the DRs and you get a good result with the insurance.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Glad your ok. Sorry about the car, but the important thing is your ok. The car can be replaced/repaired. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Please do get checked out! Although I hope you are ok, some pain may show up further down the line. Protect yourself and the family. Good Luck.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt its totaled. Based on est. values you'd need to land around 25K+ for repairs to make it totaled for sure by most insurance standards.

Chances are your more in that 10K to 15K area tops and a good 6 weeks at the shop. With labor costs of today it adds up quick when they charge $80+ an hour for labor. Make sure they'll pay for a rental the whole time your car is gone. Many parts come from Germany so as they get in there to fix things I'm sure they'll need to order what most body shops call supplement parts (knick knack small parts). Each time they order it can take a good 7 to 10+ days to get the parts. Then if one part doesn't come in and they have to reorder........well you get the idea, days can add up quick and before you know it your going on 8 weeks with out a car.

Glad everyone was ok.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Senior Members

wow sorry bro!!
Old 07-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Members

i went to the hospital today and got checked out about 20 different xrays, everything is OK, so I shifted all the attention on getting the car totaled. I went to my salesman, sales manager and asked for their help. They actually called me this morning and left messages making sure I was OK, they were al little shocked when they got to work today and saw my car there.

I also spoke with the body shop manager, they did a preliminary report and put it at $16,000. But he is going to go back and check, he thinks that a frame rail may need to be replaced and if so the labor to remove engine/tranny etc. should push it to totaled.

I spoke to him about the effects of driving a repaired car, not to insult his mechanics, but the loss in value since there was such heavy damage. He said that if it isn't totaled that I should discuss "diminished value" with them.

I hope the sales dept really puts pressure on them to find every dollar they can to total it.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Senior Members

I feel your pain. Happy to hear that you are ok.

As far as the car goes.... how many miles are on it? That makes a BIG difference in the total decision (BELIEVE me... I know).
Also, pray for frame damage and/or any compromise to the firewall. This will certainly total the car. Firewall damage looks to be pretty unlikely due to the relatively mild front end damage.
If they do decide to repair... be prepared for a VERY long process. Mine (which was only front end damage, but very severe) took about 4 months to complete the repairs.

Quick Reply: Totaled or Repairable???