E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Totaled or Repairable???

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silver2000stang' post='628693' date='Jul 20 2008, 04:38 PM
Very cool, I went to IU and love bloomington to this day, i keep seeing these SoCal/NorCal meets, we should get an Indiana meet going. I'll of course be driving a rental, but who knows.

Brian
Also, if it is totalled, make sure you get the wheels and tires for your next E60. I wouldn't want that car after it was repaired. I don't know of any good body shops in Evansville. I do know of one here. I had to replace the bumper on previous X5 after a little deer incident. The car didn't have any metal damage and I was able to get them to paint the bumper only in the paint booth to keep overspray off the car.

Mark
Old 07-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by Mr Five' post='628670' date='Jul 20 2008, 05:03 PM
Just a thought, everyone's mentioning the rear glass and the risk to back seat passengers.
Judging by the impact marks from the truck that hit from behind looks like it was quite high off of the ground.

I'm not sure what other vehicle you could have been driving that would have given you more protection.
Er apart from say a Hummer?????

I managed to put a 5 series upside down in a deep ditch and to be honest i'm glad i was driving a car as tough as
that was, i feel sure it saved me from much worse damage than a cut on my head!!!!!

PS glad you guys were ok!!!!!
I agree. Even though it looks like a lot of damage, the passenger cell is intact. There would be no other car I'd feel safer in. Even an SUV could have crumpled into the rear seat area.
The broken glass would have been a problem but would have happened with any vehicle in a crash like that. My parents found bits of glass in their van 6 months after an accident.

Bottom line, glad you are OK, I do hope its totaled. That makes it not a concern for long term keeping.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

Glad your ok

Seems like a toss up to me if the car will be labeled as totaled or not.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

Originally Posted by mjfloyd1' post='628704' date='Jul 20 2008, 05:57 PM
Also, if it is totalled, make sure you get the wheels and tires for your next E60.

+1... don't give up those wheels!

glad you are OK. I'm also in Indiana. I didn't realize how many Hoosiers on this board... good luck.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Wow - thank God you were able to walk away unscathed. The E60 is one of the safest automobiles you can buy. Even though the glass is shattered, luckily its coated safety glass. You'll be back in action soon. While it's a shame to lose such a fine automobile, it will be replaced. Keep us posted on the progress of this - and again, thank God you're OK.

-Al
Old 07-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

Ouch!!! that hurts. At least you are okey. From the look of the damage in the rear, you have a frame damage. The broken rear windshield is usually a symtom of frame damage. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Wow! That sucks......sorry to see those pics. It's too bad that liquor store was closed next to you. You could have washed down a Domino's with some JD while waiting for the tow truck.

Good luck with the baby and new or fixed ride!
Old 07-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

WOW!! Brian, glad everyone involved is ok. I agree that having a wife and children does change your perspective on life.

Make sure you go to a Dr. and get checked out ASAP as Gene suggested. He is right on the money that pain from these types of accidents tends to build 24-72 hours after a whiplash accident and can last for weeks, months or even years. Some times you even end up with a fractured T1 vertebrae from being in a rear ended....not that I would know anything about that.

Hopefully she is totaled and you can start over from scratch but if they do end up repairing the car make sure to sub in an Mtech kit instead of those factory bumpers.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by silver2000stang' post='628640
its probably not totaled. especially when the car is new.

they usually consider it totaled if the repair cost is higher than the current value of the car.
I think that's when it gets "written-off" but I could be wrong. Or in insurance talk, is that the same thing?
Old 07-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Senior Members

Dude I am glad you are okay. Get yourself checked, seriously. Especially for back problems.

Damn Chevy drivers!

Quick Reply: Totaled or Repairable???