E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Has TMC ever worked for you?
Yes
68.18%
No
31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

TMC - useless???

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 05:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whenever i have used my sat nav, it always warns me that traffic or road works are ahead on my route. But whenever i get there, there is no such thing. Im happy that i dont take the alternative route otherwise it will take much longer. Is it just me or do you find TMC is not very good?
Old 07-19-2006, 05:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Steptronic Transmission. Silver Gray Metallic with Gray Leather. Added Red rear reflectors. Swapped stock Style 124 wheels and Bridgestone run-flat tires for BMW Style 125 5-Double Spoke wheels, 8" x 19" front, 9.5" x 19" rear with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, 245/40YR-19 front and 275/30YR-19 rear.

We don't have it here in the USA. Some talk of a real-time system that would be of actual use. Time-delayed traffic reporting is of little value. Then again if everyone got and responded to real-time traffic reporting, the problems would probably merely be re-located to a new spot.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I think it is country related. In the Netherlands it works very accurate and is almost never off.. Although I have to be honest and never take alternative road because the NAV doesn't take traffic lights in account when calculating the fastest route (or fastest alternative route).

I also get TMC messages that give me a warning for police checkpoints..
Old 07-19-2006, 05:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 530d M Sport Saloon; Auto; Silver Grey; Navigation System Professional; Sun Protection Glass; M Rear Spoiler; No Model Inscription; Bluetooth Telephone Preparation; BMW 6 Disc CD Changer

I've found the TMC to be absolutely useless. Frequently I travel on the M25 (a very busy motorway in the UK), where there is often slow and standstill traffic, and yet the TMC only tells me about the problems when I'm actually in a jam. It is most anoying when it tells you the next junction is clear, but when you get there it is clearly not the case - and only then does it say there are problems. I understand that it can only be as good as the information it is given, but while sitting in the jams the radio traffic announcements all know about the problems, so why doesn't the TMC system?

The car has already been back to the dealer about this problem (and had a software update), but it's no better.

Recently drove round the Paris P?riph?rique and every five minutes the TMC told me of problems and tried to recalculate a route. Moments later it would change its mind. By the time the system had recalculated a route I would have typically missed the junction that it wanted me to take. On the way back, I switched off the dynamic navigation and had a _much_ better trip.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:25 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 525d Mystic Blue Business Line

TMC is useful every day.

Each morning leaving my home to the office, I drive 4 km before reaching the highway. Usually, TMC conviently warns me about traffic jam on the highway before reaching it.

This morning going to Brussels, TMC tells me about an accident and 1km of traffic jam. It was right. The accident was cleaned but the traffic jam still unresolved.

Just 2 exemples. TMC is not perfect but obviously useful.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by groovemasterj' post='312613' date='Jul 19 2006, 02:24 PM
I understand that it can only be as good as the information it is given, but while sitting in the jams the radio traffic announcements all know about the problems, so why doesn't the TMC system?

The car has already been back to the dealer about this problem (and had a software update), but it's no better.
Presumably it's no better because, as you say, "it can only be as good as the information it is given"...

ABC
Old 07-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 520d with BMW Night Vision, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, Adaptive Cruise Control, Pro Logic 7, Pro Nav with DVD changer and TV, Aux in for Ipod, Hella White Taillamps, Red Angel eyes, HUD, BMW Individual Backseat DVD with infrared headsets, Alp White 3, Comfort Seats with ventilation electric memory, sunroof, PDC, Alpine remap, M-Sport, Dynamic Drive, Steptronic ..... (ALL OPTIONS) (Why not get all options then buying a bigger engine?)

Never tested it cause we don't have it here in Turkey but one time I rented a E60 in Germany and it was very useful.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

I frequently use TMC - the only issue I have is that it rarely reroutes me, it just tells me that the delay is 1 minute and sends me to the back of the line. Now and again it says that there are roadworks or contra flow and there isn't, but I think that's just a delay in the update from the Highways Agency.

I drove an X5 before I got my E60 and it's version of TMC asked if I wanted to be diverted. I wish my E60 asked the same question rather than just alerting me but sending me the same way still
Old 07-20-2006, 12:37 PM
Members

Works very well in The Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. No complaints, although the Dynamic Route rarely offers an alternative.