E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tiptronic - wrong way round

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this.... Mash the gas and when close to red line push forward... run to a corner in STEP mode and mash the breaks.... you will find the momentum of the body will be in step with the shifter....
Old 07-19-2008, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by sick95gt' post='627832' date='Jul 19 2008, 03:05 AM
It depends on it if it's a digital clock.....

There is not going to be a tiptronic that is just like a manual, but I can see this making more sense than the other way around. At least some of it is similar. If it were the other way, none of it is similar. Not trying to say it's the 'right" way, but the argument was on if its counter-intuitive. Your typical manual (which tiptronic is supposed to simulate) starts off just like the BMW's tiptronic. Comparing it the other way around would be completely backwards. Imagine having a manual gearbox where 1st was right and down, 2nd was forward and so on... It would be considered counter-intuitive to anyone who has driven a left hand drive manual. Either way, everyone is going to have their own opinion on what they feel is intuitive, based on their own natural instinct or previous experience. The same argument could be had with paddle shifters. Who is to say that the right paddle can or can't be used to downshift? Which way is more intuitive or the "right" way?
I still think your whole argument hinges on a couple of thin premises -- that of "starting out" and that a the movement of a tiptronic style shift lever is supposed to "simulate a typical manual" (tiptronics simulate manuals in the way they offer manual shifting, not in how the actual shifter moves).

I think you'll find it interesting that many manual transmissions, years ago, did, in fact have 1st gear on the lower left. Older 3-speed manual transmissions and even some 5-speed transmissions had this configuration. (I actually learned to drive on an antique car that had only 3 speeds using the standard "H" pattern with reverse in the top right position. )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_transmission

Not so long ago, Mercedes used a left/right arrangement (rather than forward/backward) for their manual shift mode (can't remember if they changed it yet or if it's still that way today.) Our 2008 Chrysler Town and Country has a left/right manual mode arrangement too... Talk about not being intuitive!

As you said, there's really no "right" way to set things any of these things up and yes, intuitiveness can vary between designs and/or people. My whole point in this debate is that I don't think there's really any logical connection between the shift lever movements of a "tiptronic" style automatic and a traditional manual.

As far as I'm concerned (and I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one), the most intuitive way to set up an SMG or tiptronic style shift lever is to do it exactly the way BMW currently does it. It's all about G-forces on your body. If the shift lever direction matches that of the G-force your body is undergoing during acceleration and braking, it's quite intuitive to move the lever in the same direction as your body is moving. That's precisely why they do it that way in race cars (much higher G-forces) and it makes sense to design it this way on our cars as well. It clearly shows BMW's understanding of not only racing but also it's customer (who's usually more racing oriented or, at the very least, a driving enthusiast.) If you want to have some fun, take a look at this awesome video of a guy racing a BMW with a sequential transmission. While you watch it, try to imagine the G-forces that the driver is experiencing -- especially during the downshifts under heavy braking. http://www.supercarchallenge.nl/video/Assen-bmwSTW.wmv

As far as the steering wheel paddle arrangement -- for years now I've been an advocate of the arrangement that BMW puts on it's non-M cars. Traditionally, race cars have the left-side downshift and the right-side upshift configuration but I think that it really isn't as intuitive as the "fingers upshift" and "thumbs downshift" configuration that BMW gives us non-M guys. Why? Because with the fingers/thumbs arrangement, you never have to think about what paddle you're touching (in case the wheel is turned) so you can shift up or down with either hand (helpful during times when you might be using one hand to adjust the iDrive controller, etc.) Also.......wait for it.......the paddles move in the exact same direction as the shift lever (forward to downshift, rearward to upshift) which, overall, offers the most intuitive experience! I really believe this push/pull configuration is something that even race cars should adopt -- I think the only reason they're setup differently is due to the "that's the way we've always done it so we're not going to change it now" mentality. The only other reason I can think of is that it's less complex to use a left/right paddle set up because there are less micro-switches to fail, etc. (Keep in mind that in the push/pull way, if a micro-switch fails during a race, the driver might still be able to shift up or down using the other paddle!)

I think it all comes down to individual experiences. If you're used to driving a car that has a push upshift, pull downshift arrangement, then BMWs are going to feel odd at first. Obviously, it's all about what you're accustomed to but I will say that it doesn't take long to get used to things (no matter which way) and before you know it, if feels intuitive and natural...
Old 07-19-2008, 05:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='620940' date='Jul 10 2008, 10:45 PM
I usually keep it in sport mode. I was on a road today, and down shifted to slow down to 2nd gear. I'm looking over at a cute girl from work passing by me, and I hear my engine making some wierd sounds. I was going 60MPH in 2nd gear. Do you guys shift with the steptronic or do you just keep it in sport mode to down shift when needed. I generally don't shift.
Wonder how many hotties are the cause of blown engines? As soon as my car is warmed up, it stays in sport mode - every time I'm in it. I usually don't shift it manually, but sometimes I do just to mess around, then back to sport mode.

Barry
Old 07-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by Rudy
Just take the plunge...before you know it, your brain will be back up to speed on the new "right" way to shift...it really doesn't take that long, honest!
Had to dig up this old thread...Hey Rudy, I finally mastered it LMAO!!!
Old 07-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i M Sport. GPS, Satallite, Active suspension, Silver over Black in color with beige. 68k on the clock. My 10th BMW in forty years.
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 550 Msport

Part of BMW's heritage is the production of Airplane engines. the shift function in there cars is a carry Over from those days. " Push the stick forward to go down, pull it back to go up"
It does seem to be counter intuitive and I have trouble going in the correct direction.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
I forget when BMW changed it... it USE to be the same as the Japanese cars... push to upshift pull to downshift... and it was sometime in the early 2000s that BMW swapped it. I want to say it was sometime in 2001. so your RR being a 2003 and being made by BMW... *shrugs* who knows...
I don't think BMW ever changed it actually. I remember my 2001 E46 being this way and also the E39 too. The 99 E46 Auto didn't even have it. See...........
Tiptronic - wrong way round-img_1170.jpg

Range Rover was never considered a BMW. An RR is lik a Rolls Royce or a Jaguar..... frankenstein cars. A few parts here, a few parts there... I know they use BMW electronics in them but you can't diagnose or program them like a BMW. As far as the "step-tronic" they're famous for switching engines constantly so that would make one assume about the tranny as well and with each tranny comes different shift pattern especially if they're also using different EGS software.
Range Rover is the biggest piece of $h!t SUV according to ever owner and tech I've ever spoken to. Porsche Cayenne is the way to go. I have to admit the RR is sexy but looks can kill.