E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Throttle Dead Spot / RPM Drop

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 10:08 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 5 SERIES

Holy... I searched and did the 25 second reset and it seems like it worked! But I didn't drive long and far enough to completely test it out. I want it to be at normal operating temperature and I want to go through the whole rpm range to fully see if it worked. I'll try it out tomorrow morning on the way to work. I just drove around my house hahaha.
But I'm also going to listen to 10550i. I should replace both the INTAKE AND EXHAUST CAM GEARS along with my whole ignition system. They're cheap and might as well prolong the life of the engine. There's nothing wrong with replacing them even if they're not broken correct? Preventive maintenance?

Last edited by ST JAMES; 09-23-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:05 PM
New Members

My Ride: 5 SERIES

So I drove the other day and the reset DOES CHANGE THINGS. Everything was smoother. But it didn't solve the abnormal RPM. So far i've concluded it to be the ignition system.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:07 PM
New Members

My Ride: E61 2006 530i (motor N52B30)

Originally Posted by ManiacAUS
SOLVED!!! FOR THOSE WITH THE SAME ISSUE PLEASE READ.

After dealing with this for almost 2 years it turns out the problem is quite simple and non mechanical.

1. Get a copy of DIS v57. Don't waste time with INPA. It does not do anything to help. I have been down that road.

2. Go into the Service Functions menu.

3. Go into the DME sub menu.

4. Select the RESET ADAPTION VALUES AND DELETE LEARNED SETTINGS.

All of a sudden, no throttle dead spot. Perfect acceleration. Just like a new one. No jerky acceleration from lower RPM's.

So frustrated that mechanics could not work this out. 2 years and a whole bunch of stress and mucking around for it to be so simple.

My advice for any one who has a similar symptom is to do this first before you go pulling things apart particularly if there are no fault codes to point you to something specific.

Thanks to everyone for trying to help out. All of the advice was valuable from a process of elimination stand point. I hope others can benefit from this thread. Would love to hear from anyone who has read this thinking that this is just like my issue and finds this helpful.

Dear ManiacAUS,

Dear all who will read this,

I'm french, sorry for my poor english.

My car is an E61 2006 motor N52B30, manual gearbox, 150000km.

I have EXACTLY the same issue like you, ManiacAUS.

* at cold, no issue. Idle near 1000rpm and all seems ok during driving.

* after, when hot, idle is near 650rpm. Idle is ok, not rough. But driving at low rpm is not fine especialy if you put full throttle at low revs. In this case, the car becomes very nervous and want to stall, and not and yes and not... it could take a long time with the foot on the full throttle and rpm around 1000-1500 rpm. There is two ways to stop the problem.

The first one is to release the throttle near 20% and let the egine take slowly his rpm.

The second one is to downshift and take immediately high rpm. In this case, full throttle is possible, without any problem.

That issue could be observed on certain current driving condition with full throttle at low rpm (forgot to downshift on climb or on a roundabout on exit).

I can also reproduced the issue without driving. At idle, if I push on full throttle, the rpm drop, the engine want to stall, take some rpm, wants to stall, take some rpm, wants to stall and go to high revs.

It could take 3 seconds.

Parts I have cheched or replaced:

* Battery. There was a 78Ah instead of a 90Ah. No progress.

* CCV + hoses. No progress

* vaccum hose from vaccum pump. No progress.

* check for leak on intake manifold. No leak.

* both Disa valves looks great.

* no fault codes

I have search a lot on Internet. There is a lot of forum with that kind of problem. But roots are not clear. I have found an long and interesting thread called "hesitation @ low rpm" on E90post.com with discussion on exhaust leak.

I follow your advice. I go to my BMW store on monday to reset all the learned values. I hope it will help. If not, I will search for an exhaust leak.

Thanks a lot

Last edited by Kryss63; 02-21-2019 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Correction of reference
Old 02-26-2019, 08:39 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61 2006 530i (motor N52B30)
Default Solved !!!!

@ManiacAUS,

A VERY BIG THANKS.
All is ok after reseting all the adaptation value.
The motor is smooth, perfect, without any trouble at low rpm.
If you come in France, please let me know, I want to pay you a beer 😎
Old 03-09-2019, 07:20 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 530i

@Kryss63

So glad this helped you out! It took so long for me to solve so I’m glad you could benefit!!

If in France I know where I’ll have my first beer!

Cheers

Originally Posted by Kryss63
@ManiacAUS,

A VERY BIG THANKS.
All is ok after reseting all the adaptation value.
The motor is smooth, perfect, without any trouble at low rpm.
If you come in France, please let me know, I want to pay you a beer 😎
Old 03-22-2019, 12:42 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 525I
Model Year: 2004

I have a 2004 525i with 129k on it, I got the car at 115k awhile back, I have had this problem since getting the car, one thing I didn't see anyone mention was the rpms fluctuate, when I accelerate from a slow speed or from a stop if I don't step on the pedal enough the car will had a vibration which feels like its coming from the front drivers side of the car, can mainly feel it in the pedal, passengers can only feel it if I say something, the rpm will also start to bounce up an down by 500-1000k each time getting a lil higher as it is working its way thru the gear, when the issue starts if I push down on pedal more, or let off an press again the issue will go away, I have also noticed it seems to do this when it is lower on gas along with when I have the ac/heater turned up high, it does it in every mode but less in ds/M mode than in normal drive, I have inpa and ista an so far neither has throw any code having anything to do with this.

im interested in trying the dis fix tho I have not been able to find a working download of the software, if anyone can help me with that I would be very greatful.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:57 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 530i 2007
Default BMW E60 530I Throttle hesitation at low rpm

Originally Posted by Jnelson1182
I have a 2004 525i with 129k on it, I got the car at 115k awhile back, I have had this problem since getting the car, one thing I didn't see anyone mention was the rpms fluctuate, when I accelerate from a slow speed or from a stop if I don't step on the pedal enough the car will had a vibration which feels like its coming from the front drivers side of the car, can mainly feel it in the pedal, passengers can only feel it if I say something, the rpm will also start to bounce up an down by 500-1000k each time getting a lil higher as it is working its way thru the gear, when the issue starts if I push down on pedal more, or let off an press again the issue will go away, I have also noticed it seems to do this when it is lower on gas along with when I have the ac/heater turned up high, it does it in every mode but less in ds/M mode than in normal drive, I have inpa and ista an so far neither has throw any code having anything to do with this.

im interested in trying the dis fix tho I have not been able to find a working download of the software, if anyone can help me with that I would be very greatful.

I have a 530I 2007 version with 125000 kms on it. I have similar issue with dead spot at low rpms. Car does not stop or stall. It just hesitates for a moment and then kicks off to normal speed. I can replicate this in Parking and Neutral mode too. When you accelerate, it struggles a bit and then goes to normal.

Changed everything I could.

Oil Separator
MAF sensor
hose pipes
non return valves
new coils
new plugs
new radiator fan (old one had an issue)
New fuel pump
New fuel filter
Engine oil and filter changed
Transmission valve body changed with new solenoids
Convertor reconditioned
Transmission oil changed to ZF

Cleaned the vanos, DISA, throttle body too. All looks fine.

Did a throttle learning and adaptation reset, quite a few times. Whenever I do it, the car runs fine for 200 to 300 kms and the problem comes back. I take it again to the mechanic to do the reset and the problem goes away for some distance and back again. What do I have to change?

Disa Valve - intake and outlet (there are 2)
Cam shaft sensor
Actuator Motor
Vacuum pump
Throttle body with sensor
Vanos - 2 no's

These are the only things in the engine area that might need a change.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Arjun
Old 02-11-2020, 03:29 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 525I
Model Year: 2004

were u able to find the issue? im starting to think it maybe something power related, im reading into how to check my disa but im running out of things to check an nothing on inpa seems to point me in the right direction, tho I don't know how to use it as good as I probably should lol
Old 02-11-2020, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

I've seen and worked on cars with this very issue and changing parts without knowing what the issue is, is a waist of money. I've mostly seen it in the 525s. The RPMs raising could mean a lot of things. I've corrected with transmission fluid change, Injectors even the disa fix but none had the same solution. I've them wait until either I saw a check engine light or I could pull something up in INPA

My 530 had the stumbling issue and it was corrected with OE coils. I would get it from time to time afterwards but I know the reason why was because I never drove it and the battery needed charging. After charging it it wouldn't happen again then I just kept a tender on it after a couple times charging it up and never seen it again.

I can't stress the importance of waiting so you won't waist money because the cause could be a number of things.