E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Throttle Dead Spot / RPM Drop

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 11:41 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530i

Update: Looking for someone to chime in here...
I have fixed the issue... really don't know how...

Got a copy of INPA and a K+D Can Cable for the pc and ran the Vanos and Smooth Running Diagnostic tests... and what do you know... fixed....

How can this happen... incidentally ... no codes present from inpa when I read them.

Cheers,..
Old 01-15-2013, 07:36 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport

Originally Posted by ManiacAUS
Update: Looking for someone to chime in here...
I have fixed the issue... really don't know how...

Got a copy of INPA and a K+D Can Cable for the pc and ran the Vanos and Smooth Running Diagnostic tests... and what do you know... fixed....

How can this happen... incidentally ... no codes present from inpa when I read them.

Cheers,..
I believe this is the initial stage of the intake cam sensor going bad. My other BMW (330i) did the exact same thing. After the engine warms up, light throttle and it will want to stall. This problem came up for a few days and went away. But a few weeks later it came back and got progressively worse to a point that I'm coming to a stop and press down on the clutch and the engine stalls. My check engine light came on though.

After my Indy scanned the code and changed out the intake cam sensor, the engine was running great. Hope this helps.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:13 AM
New Members

No... It's back... Still no codes and doing it at all temps now. Seen people with same issues, but threads die before the solution is presented... Can anyone who has had this fill in the gaps?
Old 12-19-2013, 04:46 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Mystic Blue, Dark Beige, 138 wheels

On my 04 545 there is a lag/hesitation/gaff with the throttle at zero to the first 1/2inch of pedal cold or warmed up. Not fun. Beyond 20kmh there are no problems whatsoever. After reading previous posts I have a better understanding of what I'm experiencing. I'll check the pedal sensor first as I feel this is the root of the problem.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

I have the same problem and could not figure it out...i have the n54 motor. Light throttle jabs and rev will jump to where it supposed to and then fall about 500 rpms then slight bogging till it climbs up ...does not happen at full throttle and could not find anything online...i will email terry with part throttle logs to see if he could see what is going on... no faults also wierdest thing.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:50 PM
New Members

Gents, would be great to hear how you go
Old 12-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i
Default similar issue

I had a similar issue withe my 04 530i though it is a six speed. I had a stumble at around 3 to 4 thousand rpm you could see the rpm hand stumble and feel it in the seat of your pants. ddealer was stumped they kept the car for weeks on end finally there fix was a ecm flash, had to remove the ecm ship it to new Jersey engineering to reflash. it seemed to work for a month or so but came back. I just finally figured out my issue was my alkternator regulator it was overcharging and not only causing the hesitation,but on cold mornings it would flicker lights and flicker off the radio for the first two to three minutes of start up also would get every conceivable error until restart. I replaced the alternator on a whim and it fixed all my issues. I tried multimeter's on the battery on startup and also did the hidden voltage dash thing and of course it always worked when I did that so I took the chance and chanced right. cat even seems quicker now like it did when I first brought it.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:57 AM
New Members

Update: Replaced the CCV (oil separator) and one of the hoses attached to it as it had disintegrated. Car is not going through as much oil as before however the dead spot still remains.

Spent about a year now reading about people with the same issues and to be honest have been pretty slow getting around to things as I have had so many other things taking up my time, but it's time to solve the problem.

One think I think I missed in all of this is a rattling sound from the engine bay that you only notice when the hood is up. Given this is my first bimmer I paid no attention to it at all because every other car I have ever had has had a similar sound. But from reading I starting to think it could be a DISA valve. If it is then I'm a goose give the first reply I got here said to check it out and I got side tracked. There's 2 to check, so in a couple of weeks when I am done I'll post back just in case anyone is following this and has similar issues.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:32 PM
New Members

Update Again - DISA's a both fine.... what else can this damn thing be? Help!
Old 03-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

Did you try cleaning both VANOS unit solenoids? Pretty easy job, should be done as maintenance anyways.

As a side note, how did you check your DISA valves and which hose from the oil separator did you change?

edit: also, reset the adaptations using the software you just purchased

Quick Reply: Throttle Dead Spot / RPM Drop