E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Throttle Dead Spot / RPM Drop

Old 04-23-2014, 06:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ManiacAUS
Update Again - DISA's a both fine.... what else can this damn thing be? Help!
Hi there,

I came across two folk who had a similar issue, and each found a different solution: these were the DISA valve and a leak in the crankcase breather.

If you're still searching for a solution, these might give you something else to look at.

Do let us know if you find a cure as this does appear to be a widely reported problem.

Good luck!

Hans
Old 09-15-2014, 01:33 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 530i

Originally Posted by Hans
Hi there,

I came across two folk who had a similar issue, and each found a different solution: these were the DISA valve and a leak in the crankcase breather.

If you're still searching for a solution, these might give you something else to look at.

Do let us know if you find a cure as this does appear to be a widely reported problem.

Good luck!

Hans

Hi All, Finally got to pulling off the intake manifold... will mostly any way. DISA 1 I shall call it if perfect with no issue. I was not able to full remove the manifold to get at the DISA 2 (the smaller one on the inside on the manifold to inspect that. I might need to have another go when I get some more time.

On the crank case breather matter... I have replaced that just on spec, but made no difference.

What I have noticed is that this issue is getting worse.

While I had the manifold off I cleaned the throttle body which had some carbon build up. Cleaned the MAF.

Really running out of ideas. Has anyone else come up with a solution or fix?
Old 09-15-2014, 08:54 PM
New Members

My Ride: 5 SERIES

For some odd reason I think my car is doing the same thing. I have a 2004 525i. I just bought it. It has 125,000 miles. I was thinking it was just my ignition coils. I noticed that SOMETIMES the rpm needle would cut down a little below 2000 rpms and reach a little over 2000rpms and cut down back again all while keeping my foot steady at 30% throttle. It goes away after I go over 30% throttle.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:58 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport

I strongly believe it is the intake Cam sensor starting to go bad. Please read my post #12 I replied months ago. I know there is no check engine light because it is not broken yet. Your symptoms are exactly like mine. The Intake Cam sensor does not cost that much compared to all the time you have spent on this matter. Most important, it is dangerous if it stalls on you at the wrong time.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:39 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 530i

SOLVED!!! FOR THOSE WITH THE SAME ISSUE PLEASE READ.

After dealing with this for almost 2 years it turns out the problem is quite simple and non mechanical.
1. Get a copy of DIS v57. Don't waste time with INPA. It does not do anything to help. I have been down that road.
2. Go into the Service Functions menu.
3. Go into the DME sub menu.
4. Select the RESET ADAPTION VALUES AND DELETE LEARNED SETTINGS.

All of a sudden, no throttle dead spot. Perfect acceleration. Just like a new one. No jerky acceleration from lower RPM's.
So frustrated that mechanics could not work this out. 2 years and a whole bunch of stress and mucking around for it to be so simple.

My advice for any one who has a similar symptom is to do this first before you go pulling things apart particularly if there are no fault codes to point you to something specific.

Thanks to everyone for trying to help out. All of the advice was valuable from a process of elimination stand point. I hope others can benefit from this thread. Would love to hear from anyone who has read this thinking that this is just like my issue and finds this helpful.

Last edited by ManiacAUS; 09-20-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:36 AM
New Members

Can I go to a dealership and have this done?
Old 09-22-2014, 04:30 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: E60 M54

Sounds similar to the 30 second throttle reset trick.

Last edited by Notheld; 09-22-2014 at 04:32 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:09 PM
New Members

throttle reset trick? What about the relearn reset? Does anyone know if this could be done at a dealer?
Old 09-22-2014, 10:48 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: E60 M54

Originally Posted by ST JAMES
throttle reset trick? What about the relearn reset? Does anyone know if this could be done at a dealer?

You can do it at home..

In 30 seconds.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:04 PM
New Members

how?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Throttle Dead Spot / RPM Drop