E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530i N52 - engine almost stalling when pulling away at low revs

Old 10-13-2013, 04:49 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i M Sport auto
Default 530i N52 - engine almost stalling when pulling away at low revs

Hi guys - new forum member here off of BMWLand in the UK. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Jumping on here for a plea of help on resolving a long standing issue with my 2006 E60 530i N52 engine with 66k miles on it.

Had it a couple of years now and after a few months into ownership, I started experiencing what I thought was the dreaded 2-1 downshift gearbox jerk so spent time trying to fix that. Had the gearbox checked (fluids/errors etc) and it was passed as fine and so had a full software upgrade on the car but the problem persisted.

With the downshift issue, every now again the car when coasting about 30mph and 1500rpm, a prod of the throttle would result in the car 'dying' and almost stalling. Eventually, the car responded, throttle opens up and it flies on full throttle.

The problem with engine stall overtime has gotten a lot worse and I can now create the problem at will. Indeed when it's hot at stationary in Park, if I hit the throttle flat to the floor it coughs, burbles for a couple of seconds under 1000rpm and then eventually revs freely.

After the gearbox was investigated, I was told to pursue the problem via the engine route and as time is passing it does seem to be an engine problem - the dead throttle in Park kinda proves that. If I am progressive with the gas - it doesn't show itself and the problem is less apparent in Sport mode - purely because the engine is revving higher.

I had the codes read recently and it came up with 'P1553 2a89 camshaft for crank correlation error.' To try and resolve the fault, the following has been changed:

New Plugs
New Vanos solenoids (runs smoother for sure)
New air filter
New Exhaust Cam Sensor
New oil and filter.

The problem persists and no other errors show in the diags.

Investigating further the service history, I found out the previous owner had a new cylinder head installed by a BMW dealer in the UK. They changed the following due to a misfire reported by the previous owner.....

New Head and bolts
New plugs
New oil separator
CCV cleaned.

I'm now at my wits end with the thing and am very likely to be getting rid of an otherwise lovely car. (This is 4th 5 series I've had in 10 years and I am struggling to find a decent alternative!)

I've searched your (quality!) forum and have seen similar threads from N52 owners and am wondering if there is anyone out there who has had a similar issue and actually managed to resolve it?!?!?!

Advice welcome.

Thanks for reading such a long post!
Old 10-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

my initial thought would be a intake vacuum leak. next i'd check the maf sensor.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:25 PM
New Members

Checked the MAF sensor yesterday - removed it and ran car with/without with no difference.

Where do I start with vacuum leaks? Inlet manifold?
Old 10-14-2013, 06:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Seadooxpseadooxp
Checked the MAF sensor yesterday - removed it and ran car with/without with no difference.

Where do I start with vacuum leaks? Inlet manifold?
i think that IS your problem. you should notice a difference with the maf disconnected.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:39 PM
New Members

I read another post on here regarding a user cleaning their MAF on the same car/engine.

The image he showed of the MAF is completely different to the MAF installed in my car! On the sensor itself, mine is a completely different shape! There is no branding on it so I'm wondering if at some point an aftermarket sensor has been installed.

Worth changing for a brand new OEM one?
Old 10-16-2013, 04:46 AM
New Members

New (VDO) MAF ordered - GBP 165.00. Will install and report back........not holding my breath but seeing that dubious MAF in the casing made me think just change it to see.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:21 AM
New Members

Ok - so new MAF installed and things have improved marginally. I dont know what MAF was in it before as it looks nothing like the new one I've just installed so for peace of minds sake I'm glad I changed it.

The lumpiness on throttle blip is still there though - but here is an interesting find.......

THE PROBLEM DISAPPEARS IF I TAKE THE OIL FILLER CAP OFF!

I left the cap off and blipped the throttle and hey presto the issue disappears!

So - what does that point to?

CCV system?
Old 10-17-2013, 07:42 AM
Senior Members

sounds like ccv issue. or at least definetly a vacuum issue.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:06 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 530i

To the Op... I have the identical issue. Did you work out what the problem was?
Old 12-19-2013, 05:01 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

Overfilled of motor oil can cause this problem also! I overfilled mine because the I-Drive showed I was two marks below Max Line. I was having this problem for two days while driving with oil about one centimeter above MAX Line.

Good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 530i N52 - engine almost stalling when pulling away at low revs