E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Three Pedals FTW!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I don't know... I guess, if I wanted to be COMPLETELY honest, the real reason I don't double clutch is because the couple of times I did try it (was during one of our driving meets with Scott), I totally sucked at it. That and the fact that we have syncros now - that's what's really precluded me from it. Do you know the science of it? I mean, is it just as simple as timing the clutch - once on the way out of a gear and second time on the way into a gear?
Old 09-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by v_therussian
I don't know... I guess, if I wanted to be COMPLETELY honest, the real reason I don't double clutch is because the couple of times I did try it (was during one of our driving meets with Scott), I totally sucked at it. That and the fact that we have syncros now - that's what's really precluded me from it. Do you know the science of it? I mean, is it just as simple as timing the clutch - once on the way out of a gear and second time on the way into a gear?
Well you do it so every part of the drivetrain is revolving at the same RPM, so clutch in, gear out, release clutch, rev, clutch in, gear in, rev match (RPMs will have dropped by now) clutch out. Ball.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Contributors

Oy, I'm getting a DCT in my next ride lol unless I get a Benzitto - then it'll be back to torque converters for your boy... there Ball That you Germanic underaged prick!

Seriously though, even if I do go to an automatic in my next DD, I'll definitely be looking for a Boxster or something like that with a stick to abuse on weekends and meets. Wonder who'll take the gold in a RT 125 meet then...
Old 09-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Sport / Premium / Manual Trans

I installed these Rennline pedals in my E60 and love them so far. I find the traditional heel toe technique to be akward, so instead I press the brake pedal and roll to the outside of my foot to blip the throttle.

The throttle extensions on these pedals make that type of heel toe shifting much easier.

http://www.rennline....info/P71.60.55/

Old 09-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I installed these Rennline pedals in my E60 and love them so far. I find the traditional heel toe technique to be akward, so instead I press the brake pedal and roll to the outside of my foot to blip the throttle.

The throttle extensions on these pedals make that type of heel toe shifting much easier.

http://www.rennline....info/P71.60.55/

if I may say so, those are some sexy-ass pedals there

Added to my to-mod list
Old 09-02-2010, 07:18 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Oy, I'm getting a DCT in my next ride lol unless I get a Benzitto - then it'll be back to torque converters for your boy... there Ball That you Germanic underaged prick!

Seriously though, even if I do go to an automatic in my next DD, I'll definitely be looking for a Boxster or something like that with a stick to abuse on weekends and meets. Wonder who'll take the gold in a RT 125 meet then...

Don't get a Boxter...trust me...we had one for the dealership and there really isn't anything special about it...if you want a FUN car, get an old Z4 or even a Z3 M Coupe...now THAT car is throwable...
Old 09-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Krozi

Don't get a Boxter...trust me...we had one for the dealership and there really isn't anything special about it...if you want a FUN car, get an old Z4 or even a Z3 M Coupe...now THAT car is throwable...
Sorry, have to disagree completely here. I had to let go of my '06 Boxster when I got my 545i and I miss it every single day. While I manage the 545i just fine with a stick, the Boxster is a completely different ball game... Something about Porsches that just makes it so easy and natural to drive their manuals smoothly and quickly ("zuegig" as they taught us in German drivers ed). Even though it's not especially powerful in base form, it's really more about the whole experience, the way the controls and chassis work to keep you in tune with the machine, the sounds etc., it all works together cohesively for a total Zen experience. Do I sound like I'm biased?

Come to think of it, I actually hate the stupid CDV valve on the 545i - it ruins the experience for me, been meaning to have it blanked out but haven't gotten around to it yet...
Old 09-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Those pedals make me think of happy
Old 09-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Contributors

The reason I'd always choose a Boxster over a Z4 (and especially over a Z3!) is the mid-engine platform. When you're in the curves, there's nothing to compensate for a perfect weight distribution and lower center of gravity. If I can afford to, I'll get something more powerful, but it would still have to have the lowest possible center of gravity and as close to perfect as can get on weight distribution. Period.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by obacht545
Sorry, have to disagree completely here. I had to let go of my '06 Boxster when I got my 545i and I miss it every single day. While I manage the 545i just fine with a stick, the Boxster is a completely different ball game... Something about Porsches that just makes it so easy and natural to drive their manuals smoothly and quickly ("zuegig" as they taught us in German drivers ed). Even though it's not especially powerful in base form, it's really more about the whole experience, the way the controls and chassis work to keep you in tune with the machine, the sounds etc., it all works together cohesively for a total Zen experience. Do I sound like I'm biased?

Come to think of it, I actually hate the stupid CDV valve on the 545i - it ruins the experience for me, been meaning to have it blanked out but haven't gotten around to it yet...
I know where your coming from...but I am totally bias when it comes to BMW lmfao

Quick Reply: Three Pedals FTW!