E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Test drive my friend's E60 M5 vs 550i

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

@phlfly

look, i understand where you are coming from to a certain extent. i owned a 545i and modded it like crazy to make it look faster, more sporty and ultimately like a baby ///M5. it was quick off the line, kinda nimble around corners and sounded beautiful with that V8 roaring via aftermarket exhaust. i was in heaven!....until i test drove an E92 M3 and a E60 M5....both cars blew my lil 545i out of the water!

but here's the craziest shit about it....i knew that was going to happen.

i knew that my 545i was an entry car into real luxury performance. its still a drivers car. it was no damn camry or honda accord (real soccer mom cars). it was a (nearly) ultimate driving machine for daily driving. imo the perfect balance (for the price) of luxury, comfort, power and performance. you have to realize that BMW engineers upward when they create their ///M division cars. they start with the base platform and go from there to improve everything humanly possible then charge you literally twice or three times the price for what started out as the same car. you simply cannot compare a 550 to an M5 unless you want an exercise in futility

now that i own an ///M5 many days i miss my 545i. i miss the 20mpg....i miss the supple ride after a long tiresome day when i just want to cruise home, i miss the lazy/laid back transmission with smooth shifts at low speeds. i miss being able to park it anywhere and not worry about assholes vandalizing it or walking up to it and looking it over like its parked on a showroom floor or at the auto show. i miss riding down the street and not being challenged by every asshole who thinks he has a quick car (no one can touch me...unless they own a super car but daily idiots want to race me). i miss driving it hard and not worrying about what might break because any repair on that damn thing starts at like $4k and goes north from there lol (i dont have a warranty). i miss my monthly payment on my loan being HALF of what it is now lol!

so its not all smiles and sunshine on the other side. im not complaining, but its a quid pro quo when you jump up to a ///M division Motorsport car.

but then again, you couldnt PAY ME to go back to my 545i....im addicted to this V10

enjoy your baby for now. let her do what she was designed for. you sound like a guy who doesnt appreciate his girlfriend because he just got done reading a playboy mag and now wants a super model in his bed....but remember, those super models come with many more issues than your current gf (daddy issues, insecurities, money grubbing, plastic surgery bills, big shopping bills, etc)....but all you can see right now are those nice curves....enjoy what you have now....upgrade later....if youre lucky

just my 3 cents...

Originally Posted by phlfly
I'm just upset with valvetrain system I guess, it's a problem where no feedback from the engine, as soon as let go a gas pedal.
By doing something efficient, they broke attachments to the car.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Black 2006 530i Premium Package, Navigation, 18in OEM Wheels, Black Leather, Wood Grain Dash

Originally Posted by umichchris
@phlfly

look, i understand where you are coming from to a certain extent. i owned a 545i and modded it like crazy to make it look faster, more sporty and ultimately like a baby ///M5. it was quick off the line, kinda nimble around corners and sounded beautiful with that V8 roaring via aftermarket exhaust. i was in heaven!....until i test drove an E92 M3 and a E60 M5....both cars blew my lil 545i out of the water!

but here's the craziest shit about it....i knew that was going to happen.

i knew that my 545i was an entry car into real luxury performance. its still a drivers car. it was no damn camry or honda accord (real soccer mom cars). it was a (nearly) ultimate driving machine for daily driving. imo the perfect balance (for the price) of luxury, comfort, power and performance. you have to realize that BMW engineers upward when they create their ///M division cars. they start with the base platform and go from there to improve everything humanly possible then charge you literally twice or three times the price for what started out as the same car. you simply cannot compare a 550 to an M5 unless you want an exercise in futility

now that i own an ///M5 many days i miss my 545i. i miss the 20mpg....i miss the supple ride after a long tiresome day when i just want to cruise home, i miss the lazy/laid back transmission with smooth shifts at low speeds. i miss being able to park it anywhere and not worry about assholes vandalizing it or walking up to it and looking it over like its parked on a showroom floor or at the auto show. i miss riding down the street and not being challenged by every asshole who thinks he has a quick car (no one can touch me...unless they own a super car but daily idiots want to race me). i miss driving it hard and not worrying about what might break because any repair on that damn thing starts at like $4k and goes north from there lol (i dont have a warranty). i miss my monthly payment on my loan being HALF of what it is now lol!

so its not all smiles and sunshine on the other side. im not complaining, but its a quid pro quo when you jump up to a ///M division Motorsport car.

but then again, you couldnt PAY ME to go back to my 545i....im addicted to this V10

enjoy your baby for now. let her do what she was designed for. you sound like a guy who doesnt appreciate his girlfriend because he just got done reading a playboy mag and now wants a super model in his bed....but remember, those super models come with many more issues than your current gf (daddy issues, insecurities, money grubbing, plastic surgery bills, big shopping bills, etc)....but all you can see right now are those nice curves....enjoy what you have now....upgrade later....if youre lucky

just my 3 cents...
LOL this was a great read. +10 for this. I love my little 530i sport and will one day upgrade but it does exactly what i want it to do. Love what you have, cherish it....its a BMW, how many people can say they can afford to drive these beautiful machines.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6 speed manual. Gray with tan interior. High performance floor mats.

phlfly, I have the same opinions on modding. I also left Bimmerfest for the same reasons.

I modded a couple of cars in the past, but simple stuff, and all of it easily reversible. Nothing murders a car's resale value quicker than mods, especially boy-racer type mods, like front bumper covers, lowering the suspension, and any mod to make it look like something it's not.

I had a manual trans E46 330Ci, and all I did was put the Shark injector on it. In many ways, I miss that car, but I wanted more luxury. I found a car I thought I'd never see--a 545 with a manual transmission, so I snapped it right up.

I love this car's ability to give me both a smooth ride, and quite respectable handling, along with excellent power. Boy, would I love to have a V-10 under my hood, but I would soon tire of the rotten gas mileage.

phlfly, I have a question for you: Have you (or anyone here) test-driven the new M5? It is very disconcerting to see BMW heading towards all turbocharged engines; my cars will be naturally aspirated as long as it's still practical. This new M5 has my engine (4.4L) with twin turbos, making 560 hp, and since it's a turbo, gobs and gobs or torque.

I didn't notice if this new M5 is as much of a maintenance headache as prior M-cars; nonetheless, witnessing the death of that gorgeous V-10, and the proliferation of turbos is making me sick to my stomach. The new base 5 series now has a turbo four banger? Come on!

OK, thanks for letting me rant.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by phlfly
If you are really aerospace and mechanical engineer, then you should know, the heat will kill engine, without proper heat exchange. All these supercharge are not going away without leave bunch failures. All mods for engine is not good for BMW, because BMW engineers had spent a lot time to design a perfect balance in durability, longevity and power. Well by installing something was not designed, you are unbalancing this, so you have to do a lot testing to make it's right and in the correct position.
I left to pursue teaching golf. Turned out to be the best decision of my life. Supercharging a high revving high compression M motor would be a risk and to do do you'd have to lower the compression. Supercharging a built 3.0 i6 with a 7k redline with head studs preventing the head from lifting (limiting factor of m54b30) would be very reliable. There is a guy with the stage 3 ESS TS kit putting down over 400hp to the wheels and IIRC 375ish ft/lbs. its the fastest non M in the country and is WAY faster than an E46 M3 and has the same power with significantly more torque than a stock M5. Add that a 530 is 400+lbs lighter than the M5 and can be made lighter, it would easily beat an M5 in any arena with mild suspension upgrades. It has been running strong, daily driven and run on track days, since 2008. I would rather have a supercharged m54 than a S54(E46 M3 motor). S54 has know rod bearing issues and there have been sub 50k mile stock motors have failures. The M5x motors are practically bullet proof as long as you prevent detonation. Kit uses Air to Water intercooler for heat exchange and the Lysholm TS they use is used by AMG, Cadillac (new CTS-V), Ford GT and many others for production engines.

To my knowledge there hasn't been a single engine failure on a m54 with the ESS kit. All there kits are stress tested for 80,000+ km in the desert of Arizona and the cold of Norway, with constant hard dyno pulls. I know of guys with 200,000 miles on original engine and supercharged for 100k miles with no issues. On the occasion that something did go wrong a short block can be had for less than a set of front rotors for the M5. Trust me it's been done and proven reliable. The 535i is turbo charged from the factory and the N54 has been tuned to make over 600 WHP (so over 700 crank HP)

I get what your saying and out of the box they aren't close to an M5 but a well designed FI system will be as reliable and fast as an M car and can be built for less than an M5.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:05 AM
Members

I'm lucky I don't know anyone with an M5, my 6MT 528i makes me happier than a pig in shit.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

Originally Posted by mrblorry
phlfly, I have the same opinions on modding. I also left Bimmerfest for the same reasons.

I modded a couple of cars in the past, but simple stuff, and all of it easily reversible. Nothing murders a car's resale value quicker than mods, especially boy-racer type mods, like front bumper covers, lowering the suspension, and any mod to make it look like something it's not.

I had a manual trans E46 330Ci, and all I did was put the Shark injector on it. In many ways, I miss that car, but I wanted more luxury. I found a car I thought I'd never see--a 545 with a manual transmission, so I snapped it right up.

I love this car's ability to give me both a smooth ride, and quite respectable handling, along with excellent power. Boy, would I love to have a V-10 under my hood, but I would soon tire of the rotten gas mileage.

phlfly, I have a question for you: Have you (or anyone here) test-driven the new M5? It is very disconcerting to see BMW heading towards all turbocharged engines; my cars will be naturally aspirated as long as it's still practical. This new M5 has my engine (4.4L) with twin turbos, making 560 hp, and since it's a turbo, gobs and gobs or torque.

I didn't notice if this new M5 is as much of a maintenance headache as prior M-cars; nonetheless, witnessing the death of that gorgeous V-10, and the proliferation of turbos is making me sick to my stomach. The new base 5 series now has a turbo four banger? Come on!

OK, thanks for letting me rant.
No I didn't have chance to test new M5. I'm looking forward to do so, just BMW CCA price is little bit to high. I might do instead vacation on ... somewhere.

Also I have a question to you, you have manual, so when you are on 3rd or 4th gear accelerating, then let the go gas pedal does is start to break, I mean hard, like your whole body goes forward?
Because those V8 with auto doesn't do so well, better to say at all. It?s continuing go for couple seconds then start soft (very soft) breaking.

About M3 bearings- well it was a problem up to 2003/2004, but recall took care. I had 2005.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Members

I've never noticed my car braking when I left off the gas. Drives like every other manual I've ever had. I have a 6 speed.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iteachgolf
I've never noticed my car braking when I left off the gas. Drives like every other manual I've ever had. I have a 6 speed.
Do you mean auto, right?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Members

No. I won't own an auto car. Not even a fan of the F1 on the 360 and 430. I prefer to drive with 3 pedals
Old 03-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iteachgolf
then it's bad, because it should brake by engine. I think you missed understand

Quick Reply: Test drive my friend's E60 M5 vs 550i