E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Telescoping steering wheel is not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 08:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Telescoping steering wheel is not working

I got in my car yesterday and the telescope function on the steering wheel does not work. I have searched a few forums and multiple posts and have only found posts regarding complete failure or up/down failure, but not in/out failure (insert inappropriate comment). The switch works for up/down. Seat memory works, mirror memory works, and it raises when I shut the car off. The only thing that doesn't work is the in out function. I followed a few tips to reset the steering wheel with no luck. I have not been driving my car for a while, but it has been driven. She drives with the steering wheel in the forward position, so I don't know how long the malfunction has been going on. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-05-2014, 07:09 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

If the other functions such as memory and up down works, then the only other option would be a bad motor for the in and out, or the wire could be disconnected. Take off the under cover in the footwell. Should be a few screws then disconnect the light and speaker if so equipped. Inspect the motors on the steering column, there should be two, one for up down one the other for in out. Hopefully the wire is not properly connected that would be your cheapest route. If the wire is connected properly jiggle the wires see if it makes a difference. If that doesn't work see if you can switch the wires from the working motor and test. This way you will know if the motor is shot or its something else.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:11 AM
New Members

My Ride: 545i, 07' gallardo, 12' s65

I have the same problem, mine goes up but sometimes doesn't want to go back down. Most likely a bad motor or possibly a loose connection somewhere...
Old 03-09-2014, 04:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 535i M Sport
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by Munki
I have the same problem, mine goes up but sometimes doesn't want to go back down. Most likely a bad motor or possibly a loose connection somewhere...
I had the same thing happen. Try raising the steering wheel completely up and then completey down a few times. Not sure why, but once I did that it's been fine ever since.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Gee_115
If the other functions such as memory and up down works, then the only other option would be a bad motor for the in and out, or the wire could be disconnected. Take off the under cover in the footwell. Should be a few screws then disconnect the light and speaker if so equipped. Inspect the motors on the steering column, there should be two, one for up down one the other for in out. Hopefully the wire is not properly connected that would be your cheapest route. If the wire is connected properly jiggle the wires see if it makes a difference. If that doesn't work see if you can switch the wires from the working motor and test. This way you will know if the motor is shot or its something else.
Cool, thanks. I'll try that. Hopefully it will give me a better idea.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:22 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xi wagon 6AT

Mine did what OP's did, and the dealer replaced some electronic module under the dash. Not the motor.