E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sun Roof Wind Noise - Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I read where there is a known problem with the sunroof seals??? Mine seems to have gotten a lot noisier in the last month or so.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

I don't think it is "normal". If you test drive any new '08-'09 5 series, there is no wind noise at all. I took mine in because I noticed on my loaner one time it was perfectly quiet. They replaced the seal, which took care of the problem.....but when i closed the glass from the tilted position one day, it wouldn't shut, just bounce back up. Took it in, and they adjusted the glass, and it closed as normal.....but the wind noise was back Also noticed the wind deflector was up against the glass in the tilted position now, and would rattle. Took it back in for the rattle and and wind noise, and they lowered the deflector, but wind noise is still there, but worse. Service manager is involved now, and said wind noise is not acceptable. Scheduled to take it back in for a 4th time, for another attempt to do the job right. Idiots
Old 04-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

Originally Posted by ktlocklear' post='837279' date='Apr 5 2009, 07:28 PM
I don't think it is "normal". If you test drive any new '08-'09 5 series, there is no wind noise at all. I took mine in because I noticed on my loaner one time it was perfectly quiet. They replaced the seal, which took care of the problem.....but when i closed the glass from the tilted position one day, it wouldn't shut, just bounce back up. Took it in, and they adjusted the glass, and it closed as normal.....but the wind noise was back Also noticed the wind deflector was up against the glass in the tilted position now, and would rattle. Took it back in for the rattle and and wind noise, and they lowered the deflector, but wind noise is still there, but worse. Service manager is involved now, and said wind noise is not acceptable. Scheduled to take it back in for a 4th time, for another attempt to do the job right. Idiots

wow/ keep us updated since im still under warranty and if repairs are needed id like to get it done. thanks
Old 04-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Contributors

Red face

I also have this problem and do not accept it as "normal." A car in this price range simply shouldn't have it, and if it's not that way on the latest models, it shouldn't be on our earlier ones. Mine's a 2006. My 2002 E39 made absolutely no noise of any kind -- you could barely tell a difference between having the sunshade open or closed at high speeds. I happen to know that it still doesn't at 105K as I gave it to my mom because she liked it so much.

I complained about it to my [completely outstanding] SA last week while we were talking about its 30K checkup and he instantly replied that it's a common issue and that I should have let him know about it before. He agreed that any noise coming from a sunroof is unacceptable and plans to install the new, and according to him, 'updated' seal. I'm supposed to drop it off on Tuesday or Wednesday of this week and I'll report back here when it's finished.

Btw, I remember reading a while ago about this problem, I think while I was researching the model, and I'd swear it was something about a plastic part that had to be "shaved down a little" or something like that in order for the seal to fit properly. Maybe this was on the 04 or 05 models? Not sure ... I thought it was in these forums because this is where I spent most of my lurking. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about cause maybe I don't ...

Ktlocklear, I hope you'll report back too!
Old 04-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

I had this nosie 2 years ago and still got it and no planning to fix it.
it is very comon after a few years of using the sunroof.
if you car is still under warranty the take it back to fix it cos it cost alot.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, Orient Blue, M-tech Front, otherwise stock.

Originally Posted by ktlocklear' post='837279' date='Apr 5 2009, 05:28 PM

Hmmmmmm, maybe that's what my rattle is too! I get a rattle noise when my sunroof is in the tilt position. I get the extra noise too when the sun shade is open...
Old 04-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nikko64' post='837445' date='Apr 5 2009, 07:55 PM
wow/ keep us updated since im still under warranty and if repairs are needed id like to get it done. thanks
Definitely not normal. If still under warranty, take it to the dealer and complain about the noise level.

I did, last week and they confirmed it to be a known problem. First they tried to re-align the run roof, but (they) were not satisfied. Ordered the new run roof seal. I went back two days later after the part arrived and they replaced the seal. Took them about couple of hours.

Now very quiet as it should be, with or without the inner sunroof open/closed.

Defiantly get this fixed if still under warranty.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 545I SPORTS SUPENSION DINAN CAI DINAN STAGE 2 WISH LIST: RPI SCOOPS BODY KIT NEW FEET (RIMS)

Originally Posted by Lawr' post='837519' date='Apr 5 2009, 11:57 PM
Hmmmmmm, maybe that's what my rattle is too! I get a rattle noise when my sunroof is in the tilt position. I get the extra noise too when the sun shade is open...

Yes its your sunroof...I had the same problem with the rattle. I was told it was some type of brackett and they replaced it.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:53 PM
Members

I am still in warranty so I sent an e-mail to the dealership to have the car inspected for the work. I'll advise progress.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Mixture Rich' post='836884' date='Apr 5 2009, 04:16 PM
I drive a 2007 530d. On rare occassions when the sun shines on this damp island I get to use my sunroof. Sometimes, without opening the glass sunroof, I just slide the cover back to let some light in. With the cover slid back the cabin noise levels increase considerably. There is an offensive level of wind noise. Is this normal? I've checked seals and glass roof seating and all seem OK.

The other half drives a Toyota Amazon and when you slide the sun roof cover back in that there is no change in internal noise levels.
I too have the wind noise, and though annoying I think it's normal.

Funny, when I read that you also have an Amazon I first missed that it was a Toyota and thought it was one of the old Volvos. Made me happy as I also have one! The one on the pic below is not mine though.

Quick Reply: Sun Roof Wind Noise - Normal?