E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sun roof closes - then opens again :-(

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just getting my 550 back from the dealer. I guess they did a reprogram and software update (after they bricked my onboard computer, and had to order another one) and fixed it.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Members

This happened to me quite some time ago as well, the issue resolved itself and it thankfully hasn't happened since.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

is simple..
when is verry cold outside and is left open..then does that to close it

this happen to me 3times in 5 years..
Old 02-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

Originally Posted by thomassteen
Hi all

Today I decided to open the sun-roof eventhough it is freezing and snowing

Anyway - it soon became necessary to close. But when I tried, the roof would move to close position, and then open again I had to use the wrench in the tool set to manually close the roof.

Anyone know what could be my problem? Bad sensor or something?

Any help is appreciated.
Ditto on the WD40
Old 02-18-2010, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

This happened to me as well yesterday -- I couldn't close the roof from the tilt position. It kept tilting back up even if I pressed down from the outside while closing it...

It was the first time I've opened the roof since a new seal was installed by the dealer. I'm thinking it was binding up in some way and causing the anti-trap to kick in. Unfortunately, the anti-trap reset procedure won't fix this because when you hold the close button down, it still tilts back up.

I was about to get some silicone spray or something but I ended up getting it to close after trying a zillion times...
Old 02-18-2010, 06:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

sounds like your roof is bi-polar... lol..
my seal was messed up too and hte dealer replaced it, but all my sunroof was doing was making noise.. sounds like its an annoying pain in the ass.. hope it gets fixed soon, how are you going to drive around with snow and freezing weather and the sunroof open? lol
Old 02-18-2010, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think they may have changed the seal in some way. I seem to recall that the earlier seals had more of a felt flocking on it and now they seem to be more smooth and made of a soft rubber material. I think the softer rubber is binding up in some way but it's hard to tell...
Old 02-18-2010, 07:14 AM
Senior Members

i think you guys all got ripped off, and the dealers are well stealers!!!! i have heard all kinds of claims from you will have to get the whole thing replaced to, the seal to all kinds of pricing. Our moonroofs are known to shift, i have a bmw mechanic who fixed mine in 10 minutes at his house and charged me 20 bucks tip. The stealer wanted 1400!!!!

Some guy here in one of my posts tried to help me fix it but didnt undestand how, until i saw it done. try closing as far as you can get it without allowing it to retract,

remove the accordion looking pieces on the sides they slide lock in to place but becareful you might break it if you are too rough.

Once you remove them you will see torx screws, remove the screws completely.

Then from the outside ask for someone to hold it as you push the glass from the inside have the guy on the outside remove it from the track and hold it.

then put it back on the track and have them level both the front end and the back of the moonroof to allign properly while you from the inside tighten the torx

Wahhhla!!! everything was fixed

the problem is after wear it becomes misalligned and it shifts slightly causing the retraction problem
Old 02-18-2010, 09:09 AM
Members

Luckily I still have factory warranty so I didn't even care about how much they charge back to bmw.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2013 535i xDrive AW/Black M-kit

[sub]dealer replace my whole sunroof because they tried to fix this problem 3 times with no luck... im good to go now[/sub]

Quick Reply: Sun roof closes - then opens again :-(