E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

sudden noise increase on 525d

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 01:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Hi,

My brand new 525d started complaining about coolant level being too low... I had to go back to my dealer with like 10km on the car where they filled it up ... about a week later it started comlaining about that coolant level again, smelling awful an making smoke all around
back to the garage with my 1 week old card where they kept it for an entire day so they could replace something (didn't tell me what exactly)

about another week later the car started complaining about that coolant level again and all of a sudden (one split second) the engine noise increase drastically, not that it is really noisy but such a big difference to that second before

I went back to my dealer where they filled up my coolant again and took my car for a spin to hear the noise... the guy only told me he wasn't hearing anything special but I could make an appointment so they could try to resolve the noise thing

I really want my silent car back the way I bought it... I realize a diesel tends to increase noise level after some time but such an increase in a split second can't be normal

what would you guys do or advice me?

TIA

Destiny
Old 03-17-2005, 02:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by Destiny' date='Mar 17 2005, 05:29 AM
Hi,

My brand new 525d started complaining about coolant level being too low... I had to go back to my dealer with like 10km on the car where they filled it up ... about a week later it started comlaining about that coolant level again, smelling awful an making smoke all around
back to the garage with my 1 week old card where they kept it for an entire day so they could replace something (didn't tell me what exactly)

about another week later the car started complaining about that coolant level again and all of a sudden (one split second) the engine noise increase drastically, not that it is really noisy but such a big difference to that second before

I went back to my dealer where they filled up my coolant again and took my car for a spin to hear the noise... the guy only told me he wasn't hearing anything special but I could make an appointment so they could try to resolve the noise thing

I really want my silent car back the way I bought it... I realize a diesel tends to increase noise level after some time but such an increase in a split second can't be normal

what would you guys do or advice me?

TIA

Destiny
[snapback]102747[/snapback]
If the cars not doing what it should demand a replacement. Stand up to them, they're not used to dealing with customers who understand how cars work, thats why they treat people like idiots. Has anyone at your dealership said that the next software upgrade will sort out the noisy engine, if not be ready for it.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

If your coolant levels went down then there is a possibility of the engine overheating - if this happens then all hell can break loose in the engine and some sort of damage might occur. This happened to me a loooooong time ago with a car "of italian origin" and it warped the head of the engine.

You should definately pursue this with BMW - sounds to me like something is wrong.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

It really sounds that You have got coolant to the combustion (smoke) so it's head gasket then.

Skaffa
Old 03-18-2005, 03:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Water pump?