E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Subwoofer in REAR DECK (Rear panel)?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 550i M Sport
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 4.8L V8

Originally Posted by nelson29
You should have check first if your subs were meant to be run in IB.

I'm also running my subs in IB, here's some pics of my previous set up. System is in the middle of an upgrade

Nelson...my man, that looks like a sick setup there!!! And you're putting something better than that in??!! Can't wait to see what you're up to! Btw, I picked up an M5 knob earlier this week at a junk yard here in Phoenix for cheap. Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

I'm keeping the speakers..Only changing amps

Pics of the amps are here

https://5series.net/forums/topic/122...1#entry1433566
Old 06-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535 Xi

I have seen your work Nelson - great job! You are absolutely right - i should have checked first, if it's not going to work - i'll think of a way to make it work
Thank you very much for sharing.
With my set up i'm not going to come even close to what you or some of the guys have. And i'm totaly fine with that, just keeping myself busy.

Here is some more photos...
Attached Thumbnails Subwoofer in REAR DECK (Rear panel)?!-p1010126.jpg   Subwoofer in REAR DECK (Rear panel)?!-p1010130.jpg   Subwoofer in REAR DECK (Rear panel)?!-p1010131.jpg   Subwoofer in REAR DECK (Rear panel)?!-p1010133.jpg   Subwoofer in REAR DECK (Rear panel)?!-p1010136.jpg  

Subwoofer in REAR DECK (Rear panel)?!-p1010138.jpg   Subwoofer in REAR DECK (Rear panel)?!-p1010144.jpg  
Old 06-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Great JOB on the rear deck brother!!!
Old 06-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Members

So, I have to say; it works pretty darn good! ...Except for the ratelling. I had to take out seatbelts, and I think I?ll be ordering a speaker covers and make holes in the panel so that more bass (air) could go through. Have to admit it was not a regular install. It took me good amount of time, effort, and patience!!! I'm not complaining because I knew what I?m getting myself into.
Here are few more pictures of amp and wiring. In the future I?m thinking of hiding the amp in rear left corner (as owners of Logic 7 would do).

For now I?ll drive and listen

P.S. I love the fact that I can enjoy the base inside, however it is complete isolation on the outside!
Attached Thumbnails Subwoofer in REAR DECK (Rear panel)?!-p6040005.jpg   Subwoofer in REAR DECK (Rear panel)?!-p6020002.jpg   Subwoofer in REAR DECK (Rear panel)?!-p6040007.jpg   Subwoofer in REAR DECK (Rear panel)?!-p6040009.jpg   Subwoofer in REAR DECK (Rear panel)?!-p6040010.jpg  

Old 06-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by zamestytel
So it begins...

Here is some picture of my progress, if anyone is interested. I have to admint it looked verry nice when i dropped one of the subs in the hole! Ran out of the time today,- to be continued
Hey bro I just talked to my installer last Friday about this. But let me start from the beginning. A couple months ago I replaced all speakers with a set of Focal coaxals, ARC Audio 600 watt D class amp, 12" JLW0 V3 in ported box, and the LC6i to get the most out of it. End result, all highs in the cabin and all bass trapped in the trunk :thumbsdown: . So after not being saticfied for almost two months I ordered a set of Pioneer SWS 8" subs to replace the stockers. When these went in, I ditched the 12" in the trunk because I didn't have another amp to run it anyway. First day of getting the 8's for some reason I wasn't really digging them and was really pissed because at this time I'm close to $1500 into this set up. I played around with the bass and fade and really got descent sound out of the speakers plus maybe they kinda got broken in at this point. So now they really pound for some free air subs, like seriously impressive. Only need to go back in and replace the stock sub grills with the new ones I have on order because of all the vibration. Vibrates really loud outside also, FYI. So I told the installer I'm really getting close to 100% happy with the sound and asked about doing something else in the future right. My car doesn't have the ski package so it's not an option to simply cut a whole where the arm rest is. With that being the case I asked specifically about the rear deck plate and installing an 8 or 10" free air sub---SAME IDEA as what you've done, I swear on everything. Told him I hadn't seen it done anywhere and what does he think it would run me to do so. Well you know installers, "man you're looking at easily 12 plus hours of labor, probably a two day job." "I'd have to remove your seats, the deck of course, cut through the two sheets of metal and probably double/tripple coat the deck with dynomat" "with the price of the one 8" sub I suggest and mono block amp you're going to need, you're looking at $1,200-$1,500 possibly." I'm like damn, that seems a bit up there but at the same time hadn't seen it done and would love to see it comepleted. Plus it sounds like it would be bitchin Also he suggested I go with the additional Audic Control EQS to crossover each individual channel speakers and RTA tune the entire system.

But hey you look like you're making some serious progress. When I had the 12" in the trunk, my rear deck vibrated like hell so just make sure you do a hell of a job with the dynomat or eDead which ever you roll with. I was only going with one sub, but hey you have the right idea because you might as well have more than enough than not enough. Good luck, I'm stayin tuned to this.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Beaman528i
Hey bro I just talked to my installer last Friday about this. But let me start from the beginning. A couple months ago I replaced all speakers with a set of Focal coaxals, ARC Audio 600 watt D class amp, 12" JLW0 V3 in ported box, and the LC6i to get the most out of it. End result, all highs in the cabin and all bass trapped in the trunk :thumbsdown: . So after not being saticfied for almost two months I ordered a set of Pioneer SWS 8" subs to replace the stockers. When these went in, I ditched the 12" in the trunk because I didn't have another amp to run it anyway. First day of getting the 8's for some reason I wasn't really digging them and was really pissed because at this time I'm close to $1500 into this set up. I played around with the bass and fade and really got descent sound out of the speakers plus maybe they kinda got broken in at this point. So now they really pound for some free air subs, like seriously impressive. Only need to go back in and replace the stock sub grills with the new ones I have on order because of all the vibration. Vibrates really loud outside also, FYI. So I told the installer I'm really getting close to 100% happy with the sound and asked about doing something else in the future right. My car doesn't have the ski package so it's not an option to simply cut a whole where the arm rest is. With that being the case I asked specifically about the rear deck plate and installing an 8 or 10" free air sub---SAME IDEA as what you've done, I swear on everything. Told him I hadn't seen it done anywhere and what does he think it would run me to do so. Well you know installers, "man you're looking at easily 12 plus hours of labor, probably a two day job." "I'd have to remove your seats, the deck of course, cut through the two sheets of metal and probably double/tripple coat the deck with dynomat" "with the price of the one 8" sub I suggest and mono block amp you're going to need, you're looking at $1,200-$1,500 possibly." I'm like damn, that seems a bit up there but at the same time hadn't seen it done and would love to see it comepleted. Plus it sounds like it would be bitchin Also he suggested I go with the additional Audic Control EQS to crossover each individual channel speakers and RTA tune the entire system.

But hey you look like you're making some serious progress. When I had the 12" in the trunk, my rear deck vibrated like hell so just make sure you do a hell of a job with the dynomat or eDead which ever you roll with. I was only going with one sub, but hey you have the right idea because you might as well have more than enough than not enough. Good luck, I'm stayin tuned to this.
Thats some story! I'm glad that my total expense for this install and system was less than $100. I could tell you right now that if your installer will do the rear deck, he's not going to make it good from the first time! I'm not saying that your guy doesn't know what he's doing, but talking from my own experience! i deinstalled and installed the back panel 4 times by now, and i know for a fact that i will be doing it at least one more time to cut the holes for speaker protectors. I guess my point is, it is good when you do this kind of work yourself, saves you money and frustration. I think that most of us are capable of doing it on their own. If you need help - we are here!

I'll keep you guys posted on the progress. hoping to finish it up in a couple of weeks.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Members

Less than $100?!?!?!?! Well that's great. But you also have to figure I have over $900 in actual equipment which I'm not complaining about. But good on you for only being $100 into it. Hey if I were back in Jersey, which I miss Jersey, I'd have to come see you and check it out personally. I'm curious to see what yours turns out to be because I'd seriously like to put a single 8" back there. But looking at all the removal kinda scares me, but addressing the vibration scares me even more . You never know though, I might get a hair up my @ss one day and try it. I'm guessing you Dynomatted the heck out of that deck huh. So what were your reasons for the 4 removals so far?
Old 06-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I have a "stealthbox" I made. https://5series.net/forums/topic/123...resub-amp-cap/

I've been out of the audio business for quite some time (like 12 yrs or so) but i just lost interest in trying to modify cars. eventually you get bored with a master creation and if you don't find a master creation you end up going route "B' and lose some usability. For instance look at that guy's custom box in Link 1 or 2 above and ask yourself "what if I need to replace a rear bulb?" lol Sucks. I too do not have the Ski hatch but I've use a 2 inch door hole saw to create a few holes from the inside there is a velcro piece of leather.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Beaman528i
Less than $100?!?!?!?! Well that's great. But you also have to figure I have over $900 in actual equipment which I'm not complaining about. But good on you for only being $100 into it. Hey if I were back in Jersey, which I miss Jersey, I'd have to come see you and check it out personally. I'm curious to see what yours turns out to be because I'd seriously like to put a single 8" back there. But looking at all the removal kinda scares me, but addressing the vibration scares me even more . You never know though, I might get a hair up my @ss one day and try it. I'm guessing you Dynomatted the heck out of that deck huh. So what were your reasons for the 4 removals so far?

All 4 removals were done because of the rattling noise. Had to remove seatbelts then add more cushing, when i finally realized that the subs are hitting the pannel and that is what making noise. Still looking for the right speaker covers...
I did not use a lof of dynamat -one layer. That is enough considering that i secured the panel with MDF.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer in REAR DECK (Rear panel)?!