E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Subwoofer in REAR DECK (Rear panel)?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 01:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 535 Xi

Hello gentlemen,
I have recently upgraded myself to 2008 528xi (previously owned 2004 530i), after installing K40 Calibre I decided that I want to install a subwoofer. Since I have a JL 1000 and a couple of 10? subs (also JL) started looking around for DIY?
there are ton of information and DIY?s, but one question doesn?t leave me alone,- that is why not in rear panel? Why nobody tries it? Is it because no one wants cut and splice their cars? Or there is a specific reason for that?
I would like to hear what you guys think of it. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time

P.S. i found one DIY http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...nd-system.html where the guy says that he redid all of the install...

Decisions - decisions.....
Old 05-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Members

I stand corrected! I do NOT have JL amp and subs, what I have is Rockford Fosgate Punch 1000 and two RF Punch P3?s.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:43 PM
Members

I have a 550i w/Logic 7 and this is the setup I went with. I have an Alpine PDX12 powering a single Alpine SWX-1043D 10" sub in an sealed box. I replaced the underseat subs with SWS Earthquakes and powered them with an Alpine PDX-F4. I ran all the amps with the wiring harness the technic sells on this site:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/103...9#entry1235319
I was told by my installer that we would not see any added benefit to installing a sub(s) to the rear deck and felt that a controlled box was the way to go. Initially we were considering a "port" in the rear deck but after looking at the labor involved felt it not a practical answer to opening the trunk and instead we opened the ski hole with a framed hole that is covered with speaker cloth and looks more like a speaker. When the armrest is up you don't even know it's there and when it's down it doesn't really stick out or look unusual. I only have a single 10" and the bass is unreal! My next step is to upgrade the door speakers and tweeters. I feel that the highs and mids are really lacking now and I can't find the balanced sound I want (I listen to everything, rock, jazz, BPM, rapp, etc. so the factory speakers are not as versatile as I would like). I'm going to go with some Focal K2 Power 100KRS 4". A little pricey but I feel that the quality of the highs and mids are going to make or break my system - power is not the problem.

Another piece that I feel is invaluable is a bass controller knob, http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500RUXK...-RUX-KNOB.html. Mine is installed under the steering wheel by the obd interface. This allows me to control the amount of thump which allows me to play music at low to medium levels and not be blown away by the bass, yet I can turn it up when I really want to feel the music.
Good luck with your build, a little bit of time and research and I guaranteed you?ll be as happy as I am about your system.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Members

Thank you for you input jrmccain!
The labor part does not scare me, as i will be doing all of the work by myself. For some reason i reaaaaaly want to avoid having a box in the trunk, even though size wize it will be the same if i'll install two RF in the pannel. I guess it's one of those thing when: If you want it - you HAVE to have it!
And i'm relly afraid that i will feel the same way as you do now - where you want to upgrade the door speakers and tweeters. i want to keep it as stock as possible.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I went with a JL Audio 12W6 subwoofer in the trunk. JL Audio makes an E60 specific stealthbox. It fits perfectly into the left front corner of the trunk, behind the wheel well. Takes up minimal space and sounds great. The only thing is, I have to keep the rear ski port open to let more sound into the cabin. But that's not really an issue.

I personally don't like the idea of cutting into the rear deck, but we did cut the front doors for my new speakers. Had to because the factory locations were too small for the Hertz components.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

I don't think there's much space between the rear deck and what's underneath it. Just under the black trim there's the metal frame which you'd have to cut (have a look at where the rear speakers are from inside the trunk, and you'll realise what I'm talking about)
Old 05-31-2012, 07:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

build a box and have it ported thru the rear deck. thatll pound if u get all the measurements and science right
Old 05-31-2012, 08:24 AM
Members

subterFUSE I've seen the stealthbox, it does look neat, however it is expensive. I got my RF Amp and subs for free, not looking to spend money on this project, besides a couple of $$ for some parts.

sanjsanj I took the panel out last night - there is nothing but steal and some matereal covering the panel. Don't think there would be a problem if i'll cut two whole in it

inktoxicated i want to avoid boxes... I see that you are from Central NJ - which town?
Old 05-31-2012, 10:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

south brunswick
Old 05-31-2012, 10:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Originally Posted by zamestytel
sanjsanj I took the panel out last night - there is nothing but steal and some matereal covering the panel. Don't think there would be a problem if i'll cut two whole in it
Hmmm, I don't know how cars are structured these days, since the chassis is built into the whole body effectively...
I don't know if that's supposed provide lateral support for the car as a whole? Just like the struts you find under the bonnet (like the red one here )

Quick Reply: Subwoofer in REAR DECK (Rear panel)?!