E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Strange Speaker Pop Sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 06:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2004 E60 525i standard system has a crackling popping sound from my unit when i listen to music for more than 20 mins and the outside temp is over 90 degress F. I think something is overheating. when i hit mute i don't hear the pops. it sounds like the music cuts in and out when it's popping or crackling.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Sport Package, Titanium Gray II Metallic, Wheel Style 124

I don't know about a pop sound but I had a cd under my car seat thAt was rattleing from the woffers I thought I blown a speaker .
Old 07-26-2009, 10:45 PM
Contributors

if you have a weird pop sound coming from your speakers, turn off the top 40 station.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Members

I have the same intermittent popping and crackling noise. I suspect the same thing that dv8ed thinks. It seems to only happen when it is hot out and something heats up. Any suggestions? I know the stealer will charge me an arm and a leg to diagnose and they will likely never experience it since it is intermittent.

Very annoying though. I have to shut the radio off because it gets so bad. Makes for a quiet ride.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by E60COYOTE' post='955770' date='Jul 27 2009, 02:56 PM
I have the same intermittent popping and crackling noise. I suspect the same thing that dv8ed thinks. It seems to only happen when it is hot out and something heats up. Any suggestions? I know the stealer will charge me an arm and a leg to diagnose and they will likely never experience it since it is intermittent.

Very annoying though. I have to shut the radio off because it gets so bad. Makes for a quiet ride.
Hey E60COYOTE,

The sad thing is that when it was under warranty they said to bring it in when it pops, crackles or makes the noise. Now my car is out of warranty. I wonder if it's the amp, speakers or radio I'll try to have my dealer look at in on my next service due very soon. Please keep me posted as to what you find.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i - Jet Black - Dakota Beige Leather - Huper Optik Tint - saving for a BB Exhaust

Originally Posted by wolf' post='921961' date='Jun 24 2009, 05:12 AM
I have the "logic 7" stereo system in my car. I have noticed an intermittent "pop" sound that is coming from the speakers. It tends to come from the driver's side front but does move around. It doesn't happen all the time. When it does happen, adjusting the volume (on the dash or steering wheel) causes more pops. That is, while I adjust the volume it triggers pops. When this gets really bad the system ultimately stops playing audio of any kind (phone, sat, aux...)

I have reset i-drive but this doesn't make the problem go away when it is acting up. The problem seems to go away on its own and never runs for more than 15 minutes.

As dictated by Murphy's law, the problem is not there when I take it to the dealer so they can't troubleshoot!

Any ideas? Is the amp going bad? Any ways to troubleshoot for the problem when the symptoms aren't there? Are there any service bulletins for this type of thing?
Have a 530i (over 70k miles) and only the subs were working in the car (very strong incoherent muffled speach-all sources, no chime for door, belt, bluetooth calls could not be heard by the person called) but, no popping at all (stay with me). I just have the HiFi system apparently. Hasn't been working since I bought the vehicle. Diagnosed as the MASK unit by my local shop. Extended warranty won't cover audio components. BLAH! Dealer says to obtain an "official dealer" opinion and attempt to excalate the issue to possibly cover the some of the cost of the new unit if indeed it's the MASK. Long story short, probably 110+ degrees today (7 days + like that). AC starts "spitting" drops of water from the two center vents around 2p. Start to hear gurgling sounds like a creek is in my dash when turning, etc. More spitting/gurgling after parking the car and leaving for some more errands again (less then 5 minutes the car was off). Around 6p after several hours of driving, I hear popping from the driver side speakers for the next 45 minutes of driving but, still no radio sound... only thru the muffled subs. Finally around 7p, I MAGICALLY get sound from all speakers, chiming door notice, and intermittent popping and spitting from the AC is still going on every 5-10 minutes.

Now, I'm no certified bimmer mechanic, only play one on the weekends but, could it be possible water (or sweat, if you will) is making its way from where it's suppose to drain from (clogged), in the dash somewhere... down to the MASK unit, or wiring? Or is it a fluke and should I expect to wake up to a silent radio again? If it is possible for water (AC condensation) to leak from where it's backed up/"stored", what should be my angle for getting it fixed, for the price of ON THE HOUSE?
Old 08-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Members

I'm convinced the only way to fix this issue for me is to trade it in...
Old 08-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Sounds like a dirty connector...it should be punished... or repaired by BMW whatever!