E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Strange Misfire on startup only

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Metallic / Black Traded in: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Black/Black

Originally Posted by dawid_w
Do you have any news since the visit at the dealer?
Went to dealer and picked up the PRValves and seriously on the way home got a low coolant notification, confirmed by steam rising for the under the hood. Sorry for the slow repair update - this is not my daily driver.

I will update after coolant leak is fixed...again.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Check the intake valve adjuster unit.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Metallic / Black Traded in: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Black/Black

Originally Posted by crash2646
Went to dealer and picked up the PRValves and seriously on the way home got a low coolant notification, confirmed by steam rising for the under the hood. Sorry for the slow repair update - this is not my daily driver.

I will update after coolant leak is fixed...again.
Okay - so i had a thermostat issue that caused my lower intake coolant hose to blow... got all that fixed. Dealer still could not find any issues with misfires at start up. well i got another check engine light (increased emissions P128 - Prob Thermostat AGAIN! been replaced 2 times on my car in a year)

So the car is going back to the dealer next wednesday. If this was my daily driver i would be screwed.

Soooo... i found the following SIB, that i will be taking in to the deraler this time. car has been in 7 times in 2 years for this issue and the customer is the one that has to find the Service bulletin? weak sauce...

Let me know what yall think??

SI B11 07 06
October 2006

Engine
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SM B11 203 03 dated December 2004.

SUBJECT
N62 Engine- Rough Idle at Operating Temperature

MODEL
E60 (5 Series) 545i
E63 and E64 (6 Series) 645Ci and 645Cic
E65 and E66 (7 Series) 745i and 745Li

SITUATION
Intermittently, engine idle is rough after engine has reached normal operating temperature. There are no other driveability complaints and no faults stored in DME fault memory.

CAUSE
Insufficient Valvetronic adaptation.

PROCEDURE
On a customer complaint basis, verify condition, then perform the N62 Ignition and Injection Test using DISPlus V44.0 and MKA adapter 12 1 310 (see SI B04 32 01, May 2002). If all aspects of the N62 MKA Ignition and Injection Test are OK, proceed to procedure A.

PROCEDURE A: 1. Select "Function Selection".
2. Select "Service Functions".
3. Select "Drive".
4. Select "Engine Management ME9".
5. Select "Test Runs".
6. Select "Idling Quality".
7. Select "Test Plan".
8. Select right arrow.
9. Select "(1) Eccentric Shaft Calibration"

The Test Plan will check the calibration of the eccentric shafts and display the calibration angle. If the calibration angle is not within specification, follow the on-screen prompts to make necessary adjustment. After the calibration has been completed, and the Test Plan has been terminated verify the engine idle quality. If the engine idle quality has improved, take no further action. If the idle quality has not been improved, proceed to procedure B.

1. Select "Function Selection".
2. Select "Service Functions".
3. Select "Drive".
4. Select "Engine Management ME9".
5. Select "Test Runs".
6. Select "Idling Quality".
7. Select "Test Plan".
8. Select right arrow.
9. Select "(5) Minimum lift adjustment".
10. Allow vehicle to reach operating temperature. (The test plan will not let you continue without achieving this temperature level.) Arrow to the right when the screen indicates the vehicle is at operating temperature.
11. The next screen will show background information concerning the effects of valve lift adjustment. Select right arrow after reading this information.
12. The screen will then indicate the current valve lift (example: 0.3 mm or 0.8 mm ). Select the appropriate lift adjustment and then arrow to the right.
13. The tester will make the adjustment and ask if this adjustment should be permanently programmed. If the engine idle quality did improve, then answer "Yes" and arrow to the right.
14. The screen now confirms the adjustment has been programmed.
15. Selecting the right arrow will end the test plan.

NOTE: Whenever the minimum valve lift is changed a calibration of the eccentric shafts must be performed.

16. Select "(1) Eccentric Shaft Calibration"

The Test Plan will check the calibration of the eccentric shafts. The Test Plan will then display the calibration angle. If the calibration angle is not within specification, follow the on-screen prompts to make necessary adjustment. If the calibration is within specification, take no further action.

To confirm new minimum lift setting:
Select "DME" in Control Unit Functions. Then under "Diagnosis Requests", select "Minimum Valve Lift", then "Display". The minimum valve lift is displayed.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:05 AM
Members

Hi,

I have pretty much exactly the same problem seen in the video. Except that I don't get any warning light and fault stored in the memory.
Sometimes the car cuts out completly espcially during reversing.

I came to this foreign forum because there are hardly any 545i around in Europe and this kind of error hardly occurs. But here ive read about it
several times and ive seen videos on youtube which brought me here.

The car is 545iA 08/2004 done 132 000 miles.

Until now I can assure that following parts are not causing the problem

MAF, Airfilter, Battery, throttle body, Spark Plugs, the 2 regulating valves on top of the cylinder head, the tube of the crankcase ventilation.

Next step would be the valvetronics system. Ive read this SIB posted by crash2646.

Did your dealer perform the procedure? what happened?