E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Strange Misfire on startup only

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Metallic / Black Traded in: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Black/Black

Originally Posted by tsaros
If i where to take a quess at this i would say cam or crank shafts sensors.
A friends 4.4 X5 does the same thing from time to time, missfire on all cylinders, this more or less rules out sparkplugs, they seldom go bad all at once.
Good and Valid point. Car is still at dealer being diagnosed/ repaired. Actually i need to call them now since my car has been there since 1/13. (put 2k mi on the loaner so far )
Old 01-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

No update to this yet? Surely they should find an RCA within a few hours of first diagnosis at best.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Metallic / Black Traded in: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Black/Black

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
No update to this yet? Surely they should find an RCA within a few hours of first diagnosis at best.
Update:
It appears that the dealers high quote for repairs (due to other non related repairs) triggered my extended warranty company to send out a inspector to verify repairs. Inspector came out this morning and verified non related repairs. Since I brought the car in for the non-related issues, the warranty company wants verified repairs completed before starting on the additional issue ticket. On top of that, my SA had knee surgery Friday and will be out for a week. The SA taking over his customers only got the open issues tickets today and needs to check back on warranty approval in the morning in order to get the techs approved to begin repairs. I'm sure once they get to this issue ticket they should find an RCA within a few hours
Old 02-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Members

I assume you have your car back now, did you find out what the issue was? My car is doing something similar not nearly as violent as yours but similar still, and I am also having a low rpm hesitation really annoying and I'm scared to take it in and get the run around if I can avoid it.

-Tyler
Old 02-13-2011, 08:30 AM
New Members

I have 92K on my 06 550i, same issue. Replaced plugs at indie and was ok for a few weeks, but did it again yesterday. Also notice a very slight rpm fluctuation (maybe 25 rpm) at idle. Was there a resolution crash2646??
Old 02-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sgtjcm
I have 92K on my 06 550i, same issue. Replaced plugs at indie and was ok for a few weeks, but did it again yesterday. Also notice a very slight rpm fluctuation (maybe 25 rpm) at idle. Was there a resolution crash2646??
Dealer was unable to replicate issue or find anything specifically wrong, while it was in their shop. 3 hours after i picked it up, i experienced the same idle symptoms...but it has been a few weeks now and it has not happened since...?

* Dealer noted my "purge valve" on my passenger side was failing... i declined repair (not covered by warranty). Can anyone briefly explain the function of the purge valve (or maybe it has another common name) ... and if it could be a source cause of the idle issue...?
Old 02-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by crash2646
Dealer was unable to replicate issue or find anything specifically wrong, while it was in their shop. 3 hours after i picked it up, i experienced the same idle symptoms...but it has been a few weeks now and it has not happened since...?

* Dealer noted my "purge valve" on my passenger side was failing... i declined repair (not covered by warranty). Can anyone briefly explain the function of the purge valve (or maybe it has another common name) ... and if it could be a source cause of the idle issue...?
As I said before, pressure regulating valve\purge valve is one of the most common problems causing rough idle.
It is extremely easy and cheap fix (DIY - you will need less than an hour + parts about $60)
See the links

https://5series.net/forums/topic/853...ssion-no-more/

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...g=15&lang=enUS

GL
Old 02-14-2011, 06:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dawid_w
As I said before, pressure regulating valve\purge valve is one of the most common problems causing rough idle.
It is extremely easy and cheap fix (DIY - you will need less than an hour + parts about $60)
THanks dawid_w! I will try this fix and see if it helps. (dealer wanted ~$300 for repair)
Old 02-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Members

My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

THanks dawid_w! I will try this fix and see if it helps. (dealer wanted ~$300 for repair)
Any updates?
Old 02-27-2011, 06:50 AM
Members

Thanks, the car is currently at the dealer and I have instructed them to look at the battery and Engine harness ground.

Update: Spark plugs were checked yesterday and appeared to be fine according to the technician. I went ahead and had them replaced since they were already in there and the car has 82k mi.
Do you have any news since the visit at the dealer?

Quick Reply: Strange Misfire on startup only