E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange iDrive problem - then it fixed itself???

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I decided to clean out the inside of the car today and in the process the 4 doors were open for about 2-3 hours, and while cleaning the dash etc... probably every button was pressed, toggled, whatever.

Anyway, all done... go to move the car, it starts right up no problem but iDrive controller is dead! The controller is just freewheeling, no buttons on the steering wheel work, radio is not on, can't acknowledge the warning on the screen, nothing!!!!

Freaking out, I figure I somehow blew a fuse somehow when I was cleaning it. So I go inside to get my multimeter and start checking fuses. They are all fine, then I check the iDrive controller and it's got tension on it again. Start up the car, and everything is fine and working perfectly.

I didn't do anything to fix the problem, nor do I have any idea what caused it.

Anyone else heard of this? What happened, and why? VERY strange....

Thanks...
D
Old 12-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i

Originally Posted by dcaranci' post='716526' date='Nov 9 2008, 07:54 PM
Ok, so I decided to clean out the inside of the car today and in the process the 4 doors were open for about 2-3 hours, and while cleaning the dash etc... probably every button was pressed, toggled, whatever.

Anyway, all done... go to move the car, it starts right up no problem but iDrive controller is dead! The controller is just freewheeling, no buttons on the steering wheel work, radio is not on, can't acknowledge the warning on the screen, nothing!!!!

Freaking out, I figure I somehow blew a fuse somehow when I was cleaning it. So I go inside to get my multimeter and start checking fuses. They are all fine, then I check the iDrive controller and it's got tension on it again. Start up the car, and everything is fine and working perfectly.

Thanks...
D

Mine did this yesterday. The screen was on, but it would not react to the knob. I let the car sit for half an hour and it worked fine.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by dcaranci' post='716526' date='Nov 9 2008, 07:54 PM

Thanks...
D
If you are still under waranty, you might want to take it to the dealer. Maybe you can talk them into giving you a software upgrade.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Members

My Ride: Soon to be 2006 530xi Silver on gray. Premium, Premium Sound, Sports(lite), Cold Weather pkgs, Navi

Originally Posted by kgmccarthy' post='756169' date='Dec 30 2008, 09:10 PM
If you are still under waranty, you might want to take it to the dealer. Maybe you can talk them into giving you a software upgrade.
Same thing happened to me a dew days ago. I let the car sit about a 1/2 hour and read about the reset function. When I went to try that it was working fine.

Not sure, no problems since.