E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Strange experience in my 550 yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 06:19 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='586419' date='May 22 2008, 04:25 PM
Don't get your hopes up. It WILL happen again! Mine is in the shop right now for two weeks for the exact same symptoms (for the second time.) I had all those same symptoms on various occasions. First time I finally took it in, they said it was a faulty Intake Manifold Pressure Sensor and replaced that part. This time they "assure" me that it's a bad wiring harness.

Somehow, I see a "buy back" in my future... If so, I'll take that opportunity to get that M3 sedan!
Hey GT, how did this go for you? Did it happen once or twice and you brought it in, or did it start getting worse before you finally brought it in? Your's and Westcoast's experiences have me concerned to say the least...
Old 05-23-2008, 06:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='586419' date='May 22 2008, 05:25 PM
Don't get your hopes up. It WILL happen again! Mine is in the shop right now for two weeks for the exact same symptoms (for the second time.) I had all those same symptoms on various occasions. First time I finally took it in, they said it was a faulty Intake Manifold Pressure Sensor and replaced that part. This time they "assure" me that it's a bad wiring harness.

Somehow, I see a "buy back" in my future... If so, I'll take that opportunity to get that M3 sedan!
GT, if they agree to a Buy Back or as they refer to it "BMW Assist" it is conditional on getting the same car and color , they are very warey of anyone trying to use this scheme to get a different car ..............Just an FYI from my experiences with this process ...............good luck !
Old 05-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Alpine white

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='586885' date='May 23 2008, 09:06 AM
Search is your friend!

Others have had this issue and there is an SIB out on it. Go to the last post on this thread, Rudy has the SIB linked there...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=shifter
Thanks, Buddy
Old 05-27-2008, 05:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='586914' date='May 23 2008, 09:19 AM
Hey GT, how did this go for you? Did it happen once or twice and you brought it in, or did it start getting worse before you finally brought it in? Your's and Westcoast's experiences have me concerned to say the least...
Got the car back yesterday. Filled it with gas last night. This morning the fuel cap warning came on yet again. I don't know if that's tied to the other problems, but it has so far been a precursor to the "Engine Malfunction! Reduced Power." warning. The SA told me it sometimes takes about 100 miles of driving to find out for sure if the problem will be back. Offered to have a valet drive the car daily until that distance is reached. Not a chance! But I think they already did anyway. I could swear I only had ~7700 miles on it when I brought it in. The odometer read over 8200 when I picked it up. And I had a half tank of gas when I dropped it off. It was down to a quarter when I picked it up. But I could be mistaking the drop-off mileage with the first time a took it in.

But there's definite evidence that it has been driven more than I'd like/allow. It was clean when I dropped it off. I left instructions NOT to wash it. The SA told me he had them wash it because it had been rained on and the dust had it looking "terrible." There was barely any dust on it when I dropped it off, and I don't remember any rain in Charlotte in the past week (we're actually in a severe drought right now and rain barely ever comes.) More evidence is from the wash job. Everybody knows how lame the dealer detail shops are when it comes to washing cars. Dirty streaks everywhere. If it was just dusty, all they had to do was rinse it off and wipe it down. The most damning evidence is the fact that I always wash my wheel wells. Right now, they are absolutely filthy!! So somebody had to be out joy riding in my car! Whomever it was even had the audacity to muck around with my headrest cushion. I like to leave the "wings" out for support. They were pushed back in when I picked it up. It's as though somebody was just making themselves at home in MY car!
Old 05-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Alpine white

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='589085' date='May 27 2008, 09:06 AM
Got the car back yesterday. Filled it with gas last night. This morning the fuel cap warning came on yet again. I don't know if that's tied to the other problems, but it has so far been a precursor to the "Engine Malfunction! Reduced Power." warning. The SA told me it sometimes takes about 100 miles of driving to find out for sure if the problem will be back. Offered to have a valet drive the car daily until that distance is reached. Not a chance! But I think they already did anyway. I could swear I only had ~7700 miles on it when I brought it in. The odometer read over 8200 when I picked it up. And I had a half tank of gas when I dropped it off. It was down to a quarter when I picked it up. But I could be mistaking the drop-off mileage with the first time a took it in.

But there's definite evidence that it has been driven more than I'd like/allow. It was clean when I dropped it off. I left instructions NOT to wash it. The SA told me he had them wash it because it had been rained on and the dust had it looking "terrible." There was barely any dust on it when I dropped it off, and I don't remember any rain in Charlotte in the past week (we're actually in a severe drought right now and rain barely ever comes.) More evidence is from the wash job. Everybody knows how lame the dealer detail shops are when it comes to washing cars. Dirty streaks everywhere. If it was just dusty, all they had to do was rinse it off and wipe it down. The most damning evidence is the fact that I always wash my wheel wells. Right now, they are absolutely filthy!! So somebody had to be out joy riding in my car! Whomever it was even had the audacity to muck around with my headrest cushion. I like to leave the "wings" out for support. They were pushed back in when I picked it up. It's as though somebody was just making themselves at home in MY car!
wow thats the type of stuff that I am worried about when I bring my car in...Freakiing people I got pissed off just reading that..