E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Strange experience in my 550 yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='586166' date='May 22 2008, 09:42 AM
Anyone else long for the days when cars were repaired with TOOLS, instead of "software updates and reinstalls"????
+1,
Old 05-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='586166' date='May 22 2008, 11:42 AM
Anyone else long for the days when cars were repaired with TOOLS, instead of "software updates and reinstalls"????
Hey! Are you calling me a tool? Just kidding!! You're right, the cars are almost becoming too complex...
Old 05-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Carbon Black 545i

I think bring it to the Peak, and redoing the

software will solve the problem.

Good luck with everything.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='586137' date='May 22 2008, 12:06 PM
Wow, thanks! I know your dealer bought back your car and got you a new one, but can you give me the condensed version of your issues? Did the dealer ever really resolve your issue before taking back the car?

Thanks,

Ken

Ken , the dealer never disclosed what the problem(s) were with the car despite me questioning them on it. Under the circumstances of getting a new one I felt that it was not appropriate to push the issue so I dropped it. As for the issues with the car , they were very similar to yours , the car did the same basic thing 3 times without warning , but in my case I was driving and the car just went into limp mode and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Also the car battery drained itself overnite the day I got it and would not sart the next morning. That happenned one other time as well.
Good luck
Old 05-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Contributors

Thanks for the replies, hopefully it was an isolated incident and won't happen again... , knock on wood!
Old 05-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='586339' date='May 22 2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the replies, hopefully it was an isolated incident and won't happen again... , knock on wood!
Don't get your hopes up. It WILL happen again! Mine is in the shop right now for two weeks for the exact same symptoms (for the second time.) I had all those same symptoms on various occasions. First time I finally took it in, they said it was a faulty Intake Manifold Pressure Sensor and replaced that part. This time they "assure" me that it's a bad wiring harness.

Somehow, I see a "buy back" in my future... If so, I'll take that opportunity to get that M3 sedan!
Old 05-23-2008, 03:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Alpine white

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='586033' date='May 22 2008, 09:56 AM
Leaving my kids swim team try outs and upon start-up get a message that DTC is not functioning and the DSC is operating only partially operational. I check the iDrive for check control messages and it says the same thing, so I press the DSC button and all the error messages clear. Thinking it is a software glitch, I drive off. As I pull on to the roadway, the car is now running rough and while I have the tranny in Sports mode, it will not shift out of S3 as I rev up to 3,500+ RPM. I limp along the interstate thinking "damn, I'm going to have to bring it in tomorrow morning". Thankfully the interstate stretch going home is short. As I drive down a busy street, this continues for a while until I finally hit a red light where I turn off the car for 10 seconds and restart. Now all is back to normal. Was all good this morning as well. Anyone experience anything like this? It's a 2008 550...
i don't know if my problem is related but can you guys help me out..I have had my car for 2 weeks now..and something strange has been happening..it happened twice..When i park my car in the parking lot somewhere anywhere..face in first..when I go to back out and stick the car in reverse and i take my foot off the brake to step on the gas it puts it in park..and I sit there trying to get my car to reverse without it putting itself in park before i step on the gas..its almost like i have to use two feet to get my car going..and I sit there putting the car in reverse and by time i stick my foot on the gas it sticks it in park by itself..is this normal????Yesterday was the second time..so I pressed the dtc button..and i got the same error dsc is operating only partially operational..whats wrong with my car..Help me out please..

Thanks guys..
Old 05-23-2008, 04:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wlkonacloud' post='586863' date='May 23 2008, 06:15 AM
i don't know if my problem is related but can you guys help me out..I have had my car for 2 weeks now..and something strange has been happening..it happened twice..When i park my car in the parking lot somewhere anywhere..face in first..when I go to back out and stick the car in reverse and i take my foot off the brake to step on the gas it puts it in park..and I sit there trying to get my car to reverse without it putting itself in park before i step on the gas..its almost like i have to use two feet to get my car going..and I sit there putting the car in reverse and by time i stick my foot on the gas it sticks it in park by itself..is this normal????Yesterday was the second time..so I pressed the dtc button..and i got the same error dsc is operating only partially operational..whats wrong with my car..Help me out please..

Thanks guys..
Have not experienced the reverse issue you are, but there have been some known issues with the shifter. Get it to the dealer. Mine has not repeated the problem so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and holding off taking it to the dealer...
Old 05-23-2008, 04:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Alpine white

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='586882' date='May 23 2008, 08:46 AM
Have not experienced the reverse issue you are, but there have been some known issues with the shifter. Get it to the dealer. Mine has not repeated the problem so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and holding off taking it to the dealer...
anyone else have any problems with this?? thanks for your reply...I really don't want to part with my car lol..
Old 05-23-2008, 05:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wlkonacloud' post='586883' date='May 23 2008, 07:55 AM
anyone else have any problems with this?? thanks for your reply...I really don't want to part with my car lol..
Search is your friend!

Others have had this issue and there is an SIB out on it. Go to the last post on this thread, Rudy has the SIB linked there...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=shifter

Quick Reply: Strange experience in my 550 yesterday...