E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Stolen Wheels & Tires - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 10:05 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Those are landscaping blocks I believe. They cost about $1 lol.

OP - Locks were a waste of money, go get your money back. There is nothing going to help you in the future. This was an inside job. If someone wants it, they'll get it. Just wondering what hotel this was because you mention you went on a trip and parked the car at the hotel when you went to airport. Noticed your location on your profile and TPA is about 35 miles away from you. A 4.5 hour drive? Not even the FL keys is that far! Where u going Atlanta?
You made a couple of assumptions my brother. I was temporarily in Miami doing a job, so it was the Miami airport I went to. I left the car at the hotel because that's my home away from home and took the hotel shuttle to MIA. And it IS a 4.5 hour drive from here to my home in Tampa. Capisce? :-)
Old 06-06-2012, 10:10 AM
New Members

My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

Originally Posted by flyingpuck
I would still buy wheel locks, I know they won't stop a professional, but if they stop ONE amateur, they've more than paid for themselves!
Yes. I agree - they may not deter the pros, but it should slow the amateurs and I will not give them the chance again - not here anyway. We've traveled a lot with my car, but only in Miami (no longer a US city...) would this happen in the open - just like in any Latin-American country. Years ago 4 wheels were stolen off a - get this - police car in Peru while the three cops were sleeping. I saw the picture. Back then, three cops would be on every patrol car - a driver, a sergeant and the dude with the firepower.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:37 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by sanjsanj
You can check if the alarm went off, cos if it did the hazard lights would have flashed, which should show up on camera?

Thats despicable though, they should dust for 4 identical prints! In fact, I doubt you'll find any other prints so low around the car anyway! D-bag cops!

Do you have the CCTV footage? Even though it's from high up, the make and model can be worked out (even if the footage is vague!), which is a start at least.
Have not seen the footage yet, but I have "formally" asked for it (in writing) - and have asked for some kind of acknowledgement from the hotel corporate/management. The local manager feels terrible about it but it is not up to her to do anything for me. She's asked her higher ups. I will continue to ask until I get something. They have that stupid "we're not responsible..." policy but it talks about stuff left IN the car - nothing about the overall integrity of the car. The SUV that was broken into last week is what they are claiming no responsibility for but in my case? I'll keep on them.

The Bimmer is safely home now and I'm waiting on ModBargains to deliver the wheels to the dealer who will mount & balance Continentals on the wheels and I'll take them home - mount them myself, and then slap the BMW wheel locks on them. I thought about buying a second set/differemt brand and putting two locks each on each wheel, but again, if they want to and can't take the wheels they'll damage the car anyway. The best thing is to not give them the opportunity again - so they win!

Regardless, thanks to everyone who answered with a positive message, advice, or a "sorry mate" type message. Those of you who stated the obvious "I would not have left the car parked at the hotel..." maybe you need to just say nothing, because you do not know what the circumstances were. I know it was a stupid thing for me to do - to trust my fellow man, and hearing it from you did not make it any more or less stupid. I hope nothing happens to your cars - but if it does, and you post, I will not say "you should not have done (whatever)". Just a thought...

About the prints - I specifically asked the cop who took the report and he told me "anyone's prints could be on the outside of the car" and I said - "yeah, but the same prints in all four fenders???" He told me they can't use prints found on the outside. Such BS. They also left all the bolts on the ground, and he told me they "can't get prints from them..." They KNOW it's illegal MoFos, and they probably know who they are, but will not do anything to "profile" them. Eric Holder would sue the police department. I am just waiting for the call to donate to the PBA and I'll tell them to go and piss up a rope...

I'll post pictures with the new wheels - same M6 replicas, but the gun-metal & black ones. No longer do they make the black ones.

Cheers everyone!
Old 06-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i xDrive, Space Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota Leather, automatic, comfort access, window shades, comfort seats, fold down rear seats, PDC, Navi, HUD, HD Radio, premium package, value package

Sorry about your car. That really sucks. Maybe next time they will get caught in the act and with any luck a bullet or two between the eyes. Friggin' cockroaches.

I also think wheel locks are a waste of time and effort.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i xDrive, Space Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota Leather, automatic, comfort access, window shades, comfort seats, fold down rear seats, PDC, Navi, HUD, HD Radio, premium package, value package

Originally Posted by santiago fonseca
Have not seen the footage yet, but I have "formally" asked for it (in writing) - and have asked for some kind of acknowledgement from the hotel corporate/management. The local manager feels terrible about it but it is not up to her to do anything for me. She's asked her higher ups. I will continue to ask until I get something. They have that stupid "we're not responsible..." policy but it talks about stuff left IN the car - nothing about the overall integrity of the car. The SUV that was broken into last week is what they are claiming no responsibility for but in my case? I'll keep on them.

The Bimmer is safely home now and I'm waiting on ModBargains to deliver the wheels to the dealer who will mount & balance Continentals on the wheels and I'll take them home - mount them myself, and then slap the BMW wheel locks on them. I thought about buying a second set/differemt brand and putting two locks each on each wheel, but again, if they want to and can't take the wheels they'll damage the car anyway. The best thing is to not give them the opportunity again - so they win!

Regardless, thanks to everyone who answered with a positive message, advice, or a "sorry mate" type message. Those of you who stated the obvious "I would not have left the car parked at the hotel..." maybe you need to just say nothing, because you do not know what the circumstances were. I know it was a stupid thing for me to do - to trust my fellow man, and hearing it from you did not make it any more or less stupid. I hope nothing happens to your cars - but if it does, and you post, I will not say "you should not have done (whatever)". Just a thought...

About the prints - I specifically asked the cop who took the report and he told me "anyone's prints could be on the outside of the car" and I said - "yeah, but the same prints in all four fenders???" He told me they can't use prints found on the outside. Such BS. They also left all the bolts on the ground, and he told me they "can't get prints from them..." They KNOW it's illegal MoFos, and they probably know who they are, but will not do anything to "profile" them. Eric Holder would sue the police department. I am just waiting for the call to donate to the PBA and I'll tell them to go and piss up a rope...

I'll post pictures with the new wheels - same M6 replicas, but the gun-metal & black ones. No longer do they make the black ones.

Cheers everyone!
They can't use prints on the outside of the car? Ask the cop why EVERY cop touches is finger or hand to your trunk or rear fender when approaching your car on a traffic stop. See what he says then.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ssmokn
They can't use prints on the outside of the car? Ask the cop why EVERY cop touches is finger or hand to your trunk or rear fender when approaching your car on a traffic stop. See what he says then.
Two different reasons.

1. Linking someone to a crime. Prints on the inside mean the person has already broken in, but if the car wasn't broken in to, they won't use the prints on the outside of the car to link someone to the crime because it can easily be disputed. (ie. I touched all the fenders admiring the wheels, but I didn't steal them)

2. Marking a vehicle so it can be identified later. In a traffic stop, a LEO will put his print on the car so in case a crime is committed (taking off, shooting, etc)..they can use the print to help prove that the vehicle is the same one. Nothing to dispute.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Members

My Ride: | 2010 535i x-drive | Monaco Blue Metallic | Cream Beige Dakota | 6 Spd Manual | Sport | Cold Weather | Premium | HUD | Navi | Logic 7 |

Dirtbags, that's so grimey. It upsets me to think about crap that happens like this
Old 06-08-2012, 01:17 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by ssmokn
I am sure to put himself at the scene of the crime if I decide to shoot his ass...

yeah, two cops told me they "can't use" prints on the outside. It is preposterous!
Old 06-08-2012, 01:21 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by jcantanixon
Two different reasons.

1. Linking someone to a crime. Prints on the inside mean the person has already broken in, but if the car wasn't broken in to, they won't use the prints on the outside of the car to link someone to the crime because it can easily be disputed. (ie. I touched all the fenders admiring the wheels, but I didn't steal them)

2. Marking a vehicle so it can be identified later. In a traffic stop, a LEO will put his print on the car so in case a crime is committed (taking off, shooting, etc)..they can use the print to help prove that the vehicle is the same one. Nothing to dispute.
You must be an attorney... And yes, you are most likely correct! And yeah, I can't fault the cops and they are probably tired of emphatizing with idiots like me. I was just pissed that it was so matter of fact with this one guy and I was just powerless. His cohort was a bit better explaining the whys the next day.