5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Stolen Wheels & Tires - advice? (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/stolen-wheels-tires-advice-123811/)

santiago fonseca 05-31-2012 12:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi guys, I spent a week in Belize for work and left the car at the hotel - used their shuttle to the airport. When I came back, I found my car on blocks.

I am attaching before and after pictures. The pisser is that Miró no longer makes the M6-replica wheels in black so I had to order the gun-metal ones. Not too bad, they are still beautiful, but everything in my car is black! Pisses me off...

Anyway, I had to put the old OEM 550i set back on (luckily I still had them) and the M6 wheels are backordered 'til the end of June.

My question is I bought a set of BMW wheel locks - they cost twice as much as commercially produced ones so is there any experience out there in this esteemed group about wheel locks' usefulness? Any tips - other that do not leave the car in the f*ing parking lot?

I do not know if the alarm went off - apparently, if it did no one noticed. They have the scumbags on video, but not good enough to see faces and/or a license plate, and of course, the STUPID hotel has a policy that the video can only be viewed by the manager, so the monitors are in her office - locked at night. These people came just as the guard left (06:00) and they were gone by 06:14). No one saw them! They've given the video to the cops but the cops figure I'm screwed and my insurance company will pay. They did. The deed happened on May 11 and I just got my car back today. They did a lot of damage to the underside, sills and frame with their jack, plus they bent the brake dust covers - they all had to be replaced. Almost $6000 later, I have my beautiful Bimmer back.

Does anyone know of any product that would prevent this from happening again? I'm considering a lowjack or a better alarm system.

Thanks!

Santiago

Attachment 133588 Attachment 133587

whoyuwit 05-31-2012 02:14 PM

Damn thieves! Sorry to hear this but at least you still have the car. Leaving my car always makes me nervous but it can always be replaced.

turboawd 05-31-2012 02:40 PM

that sucks

Iteachgolf 05-31-2012 02:41 PM

Wheel locks certainly would have dettered them and would have slowed them down considerably. Most likely wouldnt have tried to do steal them due to it taking much longer to remove wheel locks without a key

nomis_nehc 05-31-2012 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Iteachgolf (Post 1446456)
Wheel locks certainly would have dettered them and would have slowed them down considerably. Most likely wouldnt have tried to do steal them due to it taking much longer to remove wheel locks without a key

Sorry this is absolutely false. It may, for damn newbie thieves, but ones that know what they're doing, it makes no difference. Youtube and check out videos, there are a lot of demonstrations that wheel locks that basically a false sense of security.

Worse, more damages will be incurred by the vehicle if you actually have wheel locks on.

AUSaxon00 05-31-2012 04:23 PM

Sorry to hear about this.

Every time I leave my car in an airport parking lot for a week or more, I have nightmares that look just like this.

BMW fanatic 05-31-2012 04:25 PM

Man if I saw this going on to my baby I would be going to prison for American History curve stomping at least one of their jaws. :bash: :fcuk:

inktoxicated 05-31-2012 04:45 PM

fuck. ur heart musta sank when u saw that. uggg. unfortunalty their will always be cocksuckers who rather steal another mans hard work then earn there own this time around maybe go up a series sidewall in tire. fill out the fender a lil more

sanjsanj 05-31-2012 04:46 PM

Keep a lookout on ebay and craiglist for the surrounding area for them, they seem kinda unique which'll make them easier to spot. The fact that it's already been 20 days doesn't help though, but it's still worth a try.

Doesn't the CCTV show the car's alarm going off?

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc (Post 1446459)
Sorry this is absolutely false. It may, for damn newbie thieves, but ones that know what they're doing, it makes no difference. Youtube and check out videos, there are a lot of demonstrations that wheel locks that basically a false sense of security.

Worse, more damages will be incurred by the vehicle if you actually have wheel locks on.

How about 5 different locking wheel nuts in each wheel?

Also, do E60's have tilt alarm sensors in addition to the motion sensor?

Edit: How to add a shock sensor to the e60, cheap but effective mod this! (but make sure it's not too sensitive else you and your neighbours etc will become desensitised to it, rendering it useless!!!):
http://forums.5serie...to-stock-alarm/
http://www.youtube.c...d&v=yyWTmm75rD0

luigi524td 05-31-2012 04:51 PM

In most urban areas auto alarms are often ignored. However, based on the picture of your car on blocks, it looks like you parked in a busy part of the hotel's parking lot. It's pretty surprising no one saw the crime and it's even more amazing the hotel wouldn't be more cooperative and help you identify the perps. I'd think this would be bad news for any hotel's reputation - I'm sure you won't stay there any time soon.