E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stolen Wheels & Tires - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 12:39 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

Hi guys, I spent a week in Belize for work and left the car at the hotel - used their shuttle to the airport. When I came back, I found my car on blocks.

I am attaching before and after pictures. The pisser is that Miró no longer makes the M6-replica wheels in black so I had to order the gun-metal ones. Not too bad, they are still beautiful, but everything in my car is black! Pisses me off...

Anyway, I had to put the old OEM 550i set back on (luckily I still had them) and the M6 wheels are backordered 'til the end of June.

My question is I bought a set of BMW wheel locks - they cost twice as much as commercially produced ones so is there any experience out there in this esteemed group about wheel locks' usefulness? Any tips - other that do not leave the car in the f*ing parking lot?

I do not know if the alarm went off - apparently, if it did no one noticed. They have the scumbags on video, but not good enough to see faces and/or a license plate, and of course, the STUPID hotel has a policy that the video can only be viewed by the manager, so the monitors are in her office - locked at night. These people came just as the guard left (06:00) and they were gone by 06:14). No one saw them! They've given the video to the cops but the cops figure I'm screwed and my insurance company will pay. They did. The deed happened on May 11 and I just got my car back today. They did a lot of damage to the underside, sills and frame with their jack, plus they bent the brake dust covers - they all had to be replaced. Almost $6000 later, I have my beautiful Bimmer back.

Does anyone know of any product that would prevent this from happening again? I'm considering a lowjack or a better alarm system.

Thanks!

Santiago

Stolen Wheels & Tires - advice?-clubhouse.jpg Stolen Wheels & Tires - advice?-hotel.jpg
Old 05-31-2012, 02:14 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 528i Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | STEPTRONIC | Xenon

Damn thieves! Sorry to hear this but at least you still have the car. Leaving my car always makes me nervous but it can always be replaced.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

that sucks
Old 05-31-2012, 02:41 PM
Members

Wheel locks certainly would have dettered them and would have slowed them down considerably. Most likely wouldnt have tried to do steal them due to it taking much longer to remove wheel locks without a key
Old 05-31-2012, 02:49 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by Iteachgolf
Wheel locks certainly would have dettered them and would have slowed them down considerably. Most likely wouldnt have tried to do steal them due to it taking much longer to remove wheel locks without a key
Sorry this is absolutely false. It may, for damn newbie thieves, but ones that know what they're doing, it makes no difference. Youtube and check out videos, there are a lot of demonstrations that wheel locks that basically a false sense of security.

Worse, more damages will be incurred by the vehicle if you actually have wheel locks on.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:23 PM
Members

Sorry to hear about this.

Every time I leave my car in an airport parking lot for a week or more, I have nightmares that look just like this.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Man if I saw this going on to my baby I would be going to prison for American History curve stomping at least one of their jaws.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

fuck. ur heart musta sank when u saw that. uggg. unfortunalty their will always be cocksuckers who rather steal another mans hard work then earn there own this time around maybe go up a series sidewall in tire. fill out the fender a lil more
Old 05-31-2012, 04:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Keep a lookout on ebay and craiglist for the surrounding area for them, they seem kinda unique which'll make them easier to spot. The fact that it's already been 20 days doesn't help though, but it's still worth a try.

Doesn't the CCTV show the car's alarm going off?

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Sorry this is absolutely false. It may, for damn newbie thieves, but ones that know what they're doing, it makes no difference. Youtube and check out videos, there are a lot of demonstrations that wheel locks that basically a false sense of security.

Worse, more damages will be incurred by the vehicle if you actually have wheel locks on.
How about 5 different locking wheel nuts in each wheel?

Also, do E60's have tilt alarm sensors in addition to the motion sensor?

Edit: How to add a shock sensor to the e60, cheap but effective mod this! (but make sure it's not too sensitive else you and your neighbours etc will become desensitised to it, rendering it useless!!!):
http://forums.5serie...to-stock-alarm/
http://www.youtube.c...d&v=yyWTmm75rD0
Old 05-31-2012, 04:51 PM
Contributors

In most urban areas auto alarms are often ignored. However, based on the picture of your car on blocks, it looks like you parked in a busy part of the hotel's parking lot. It's pretty surprising no one saw the crime and it's even more amazing the hotel wouldn't be more cooperative and help you identify the perps. I'd think this would be bad news for any hotel's reputation - I'm sure you won't stay there any time soon.

Quick Reply: Stolen Wheels & Tires - advice?