E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Stolen Wheels & Tires - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012 | 09:15 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

really sorry to hear about that
Old 06-01-2012 | 10:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black/BlacK

I was gonna post a picture of an infiniti Fx i saw on crates but damn look at this 1 series, at least yours were on blocks http://www.1addicts.com/forums/attac...1&d=1282671033
Old 06-01-2012 | 10:44 AM
Members

Agreed on the uselessness of wheelocks. I used to work in a tire shop, and all wheel locks are garbage. With the right tool, they are easier to remove than with the stupid key that comes with them.
Old 06-01-2012 | 10:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Luxurytax
I wouldn't have left it in a hotel parking lot for a week personally.
same here
Old 06-01-2012 | 12:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Yah, it's funny when I go into wheel or tire shop, and before they do work, they ask me if I have wheel locks. I almost always laugh.
Old 06-01-2012 | 01:02 PM
Members

What about the locks that go over the bolt and just spin? Yes, I know you can get these off with a drill and titanium bit, or maybe even a tap and a slide hammer..but I don't think the standard "hit it on with a sledgehammer and it'll grip any bolt" tool will work on them, so theives probably won't have a quick solution to get them off. Right, or is that just wishful thinking?

Old 06-01-2012 | 01:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Here's the thing, like I said above, when you put contraptions in to attempt to deter, you are going to get people that are going to "attempt" to remove it one way or another. Which most likely will mean more damage to your vehicle, even if they don't end up stealing the wheels. Heck, I'd imagine a pissed off thief would just go to town on your wheels if they don't have the tools to jack it out of rage.

You really can't win when someone wants to steal your shit.
Old 06-01-2012 | 03:07 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2014 535 Alpine White

Next time get a trunk monkey
problem solved. LOL
Old 06-02-2012 | 08:29 AM
New Members

My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Sorry this is absolutely false. It may, for damn newbie thieves, but ones that know what they're doing, it makes no difference. Youtube and check out videos, there are a lot of demonstrations that wheel locks that basically a false sense of security.

Worse, more damages will be incurred by the vehicle if you actually have wheel locks on.
You are correct here - organized thieves will have a kit with a number of different keys to do the job. This was an amateur job, but they'd watched the car for 4 days and came on the 5th. Inside help? Did they just drive by on a daily basis and went for it on the fifth day? I'll never know. I DO know they came prepared and brought their own bricks - those are not anywhere on the hotel grounds. They came prepared for my wheels, period.

Your second point, yes, the SOBs come and find wheel locks on the wheels, they would most likely throw the bricks through the windshield to hurt me and to teach me a lesson.

I think the best wheel locks would be one of these things that lock your steering wheel to your brake pedal - something like that, but long, and that can be hooked between each set of wheels underneath the car - but where the heck do you put them afterward? They'd have to be 5' long at least and again, the SOBs would probably damage the car to spite you.

I am now leaving my car home and taking a 4-Cyl Nissan Pick up with me but the 4.5 hour drive will suck! It is a breeze on the Bimmer as you guys know already.
Old 06-02-2012 | 08:38 AM
New Members

My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

Originally Posted by sanjsanj
Keep a lookout on ebay and craiglist for the surrounding area for them, they seem kinda unique which'll make them easier to spot. The fact that it's already been 20 days doesn't help though, but it's still worth a try.

Doesn't the CCTV show the car's alarm going off?

How about 5 different locking wheel nuts in each wheel?

Also, do E60's have tilt alarm sensors in addition to the motion sensor?

Edit: How to add a shock sensor to the e60, cheap but effective mod this! (but make sure it's not too sensitive else you and your neighbours etc will become desensitised to it, rendering it useless!!!):
http://forums.5serie...to-stock-alarm/
http://www.youtube.c...d&v=yyWTmm75rD0
I thought about that - the alarm had to have gone off - no one heard it enough to do anything and the hotel HAS CCTV, but stupidly enough, it is not monitored at night - the monitors are in the Mgr's office with the door closed and it is their "policy" that the front desk can't see what's going on in their own parking lot! WHY HAVE A CCTV THEN??? And also, the cameras are on the roof (7 stories high) so all you see is a car come in, park in front, two dudes get out, do the deed in 14 minutes and drive out. Can't see faces, can't see license plates, and since no one was monitoring this, they did it with impunity. The cops don't care. They tell me "call this number to get a written report in 15 days". They refused to dust the car for prints - they tell me "anyone could have touched the car.." Yeah, asshole, but two sets of prints on the four fenders would be a coincidence wouldn't it??

Quick Reply: Stolen Wheels & Tires - advice?