E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Stolen Wheels & Tires - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012 | 06:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Sorry this is absolutely false. It may, for damn newbie thieves, but ones that know what they're doing, it makes no difference. Youtube and check out videos, there are a lot of demonstrations that wheel locks that basically a false sense of security.

Worse, more damages will be incurred by the vehicle if you actually have wheel locks on.

Don't ask me how I know but I can tell you 100% that wheel locks are useless. They will not deter a thief in the least bit. There is a tool/piece that pro shops even own that will simply grab any bolt/lock and still allow the bolts to turn with ease.

The best thing is to be street smart. Park in a highly lit area..syne near the front gate so there is a lot of traffic & foot traffic near your car. Crime is a game of opportunity. Cut down the opportunity level to better your chances.

Be safe gents!
Old 05-31-2012 | 08:11 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by umichchris
Don't ask me how I know but I can tell you 100% that wheel locks are useless. They will not deter a thief in the least bit. There is a tool/piece that pro shops even own that will simply grab any bolt/lock and still allow the bolts to turn with ease.

The best thing is to be street smart. Park in a highly lit area..syne near the front gate so there is a lot of traffic & foot traffic near your car. Crime is a game of opportunity. Cut down the opportunity level to better your chances.

Be safe gents!
+1

In the end if they want it that bad they will find a way to steal it. Luckily you had insurance or you'd be paying out of your own pocket for the full boat.
Old 05-31-2012 | 08:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Be safe gents!
+10000

Sorry this happened to you my man. That shit just pisses me off. Thank goodness no one was hurt and that you have insurance. Btw...I believe that Lojack just tracks the car if it is stolen not individual wheels. Good luck on getting your new wheels.
Old 05-31-2012 | 09:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545 modded the F out

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Sorry this is absolutely false. It may, for damn newbie thieves, but ones that know what they're doing, it makes no difference. Youtube and check out videos, there are a lot of demonstrations that wheel locks that basically a false sense of security.

Worse, more damages will be incurred by the vehicle if you actually have wheel locks on.

Be safe gents!

+1

If they want it bad enough they've find a way. It's always something I fear when I'm walking back to my car. The one thing that I try to count on is that my ride is so damn low it will be a headache to get the bitch up. Sorry to hear about your troubles, but I'm glad it all worked out in the end.

Old 05-31-2012 | 11:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 e60 550i motorsport metallic grey, black leather interior, head up display, logis & stereo, sat nav, M sport pakage and full options. 19' twin spoke wheels and LED front and tail lights

deadshits !!! They don't have a life, you do so keep on working hard and leave them in your dust, where they belong!! :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Old 05-31-2012 | 11:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Yikes, sorry to hear about the situation. I'm glad everything with the insurance company went smoothly. There will always be haters in every town, every city, every country. It pisses me off.
Old 06-01-2012 | 02:45 AM
Members

well like somone else said and i know by working with my brother at his shop it doesn't take any longer to get the wheel locks off then a normal nut. there is a tool you can buy for $50 that you juts hit it with a hammer and the either put airgun on or a wrench and just turn it. they sell it so the people that lose their wheel lock "key". SO with that said if these guys really wanted them and they did this for a living stealling stuff wheels locks only deter the unprepaired...
Old 06-01-2012 | 07:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

This sucks and I hope you get it sorted out. That said, someone MUST have hear something, you cannot jack up our cars when they are locked without the alarm going off (ask me how I know ). My car does have wheel locks, it also has LoJack and GPS tracking (neither of which would help if they took just the wheels). As UmichChris said, park in a high traffic well lit area and you're better off. Bottom line, if someone wants it bad enough they will take it.
Old 06-01-2012 | 08:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

I wouldn't have left it in a hotel parking lot for a week personally.
Old 06-01-2012 | 08:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Sorry to hear about that. They didn't even have the decency to leave it on proper cinder blocks. Nooooo, the cheap bastards left in on pavers. :thumbsdown:

Quick Reply: Stolen Wheels & Tires - advice?