E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Stereo Crackling

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 03:52 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too still have the static. It usually occurs after the 2nd start of the day. Drive it to work in the morning -fine. Drive it to lunch -fine. Drive it back from lunch -STATIC. Goes away anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour. I usually just mute the radio and then check back on it every 5 minutes or so. Very annoying. The dealer has already replaced the MASK unit on this - has not resolved the problem. I'm guessing they're going to try the TCU next, which is what they first diagnosed the problem as.....

I've been waiting until my next oil change to bring the car in so I can knock my laundry list out in one visit (hopefully)....

Let me know what your dealer tells you please.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by acribb' date='Mar 15 2005, 05:52 PM
I too still have the static.? It usually occurs after the 2nd start of the day.? Drive it to work in the morning -fine.? Drive it to lunch -fine.? Drive it back from lunch -STATIC.? Goes away anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour.? I usually just mute the radio and then check back on it every 5 minutes or so.? Very annoying.? The dealer has already replaced the MASK unit on this - has not resolved the problem.? I'm guessing they're going to try the TCU next, which is what they first diagnosed the problem as.....

I've been waiting until my next oil change to bring the car in so I can knock my laundry list out in one visit (hopefully)....

Let me know what your dealer tells you please.
[snapback]102066[/snapback]
I had my car in last week for a couple of issues, one of them being poor radio reception. I had the call from the service dept saying that they could not duplicate the problem... I head down to the dealer and pick up my car. As soon as I get in and turn the key the radio fires up and fined it's tuned to an AM station that was obviously part of the service dept's testing (as I left it with them set to FM) and the AM reception, right away, was (as always) just appalling - static, crackles etc - parked right in the dealer's lot............ But of course the dealer could not duplicate.......
Old 06-21-2005, 03:32 PM
Senior Members

see next post
Old 06-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by T silver e60' date='Jul 28 2004, 05:34 PM
THERE IS A FIX!!

Insist to have the product replaced.? The cost of this product is $1,400 to $1,500 so the dealerships are really reluctant.? I had my car brought in under the same conditions explained above on 4 occasions and so my dealership finally caved in.

This new replacement part has been in my car for over 3 months and not a problem with any static.
[snapback]19341[/snapback]
Ok, what is the part? It's the TCU isn't it? I believe the list on that item is $1400 or $1500? Does anyone out there who had static in their non-Logic 7 stereo system EVER get the problem resolved? Thanks, after living with this for 1 1/2 years, I think I deserve to have this fixed.....
Old 06-29-2005, 04:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

I'm still living with this. Dealer cannot fix it and they won't replace the entire computer.

I wish there was something more I could do. I hate all the crackling on AM and CD.

Originally Posted by acribb' date='Jun 21 2005, 05:35 PM
[quote name='T silver e60' date='Jul 28 2004, 05:34 PM']THERE IS A FIX!!

Insist to have the product replaced.? The cost of this product is $1,400 to $1,500 so the dealerships are really reluctant.? I had my car brought in under the same conditions explained above on 4 occasions and so my dealership finally caved in.

This new replacement part has been in my car for over 3 months and not a problem with any static.
[snapback]19341[/snapback]
Ok, what is the part? It's the TCU isn't it? I believe the list on that item is $1400 or $1500? Does anyone out there who had static in their non-Logic 7 stereo system EVER get the problem resolved? Thanks, after living with this for 1 1/2 years, I think I deserve to have this fixed.....
[snapback]141724[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 06-29-2005, 11:54 PM
Senior Members

If its crackling sounds it may be one of two problems. First, it could be that one or more speakers are gone. There could be a tear at the soft area surrounding the cone. This would happen if you have blasted your system too loud.

The other cause could be that your amplifier/head unit connections may have come loose. Try driving into road humps or uneven road surfaces and if the crackling noises are consistant with the bumps, then it is surely the cause.

With a car like the E60, we jump to conclusions blaming the software too often. Can't blame anyone of us because the servicemen at the dealerships around the world are doing the same.

Just my two cents worth from past experiences.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Do you have Logic 7? If you have Logic 7, the crackling is NOT a defect. It's just distortion from the processing. I get it all the time, because I use Logic 7 processing and listen to music loud... and the style of music I listen to requires a top-notch stereo to play it.... which, unfortunately, the Logic 7 is not.

You're just learning how crappy factory audio systems are.

The crackling is processing noise, or you're playing louder than the system's limits can comfortably allow.... nothing more.

If you are going to check the speakers, however.... be sure to check where the wires are glued to the inside of the speaker voice coil. inside a speaker, there will be 2 wires, and these wire are often glued to the speaker cone to prevent them from hitting the cone when it moves back & forth. Sometimes heavy use, and/or weather conditions cause the glue to unstick. Then the wires hit the spaker cone and make an awful buzzing noise. A little crazy glue can fix this problem.

But, honestly.... I think it's just processing noise.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

I do NOT have Logic 7.

(1) AM crackles / gets feedback with every spoken word at all volume levels.

(2) CD music crackles, shorts in and out, back and forth from one speaker to another at sporadic times at louder volumes (again it's not unreasonably TOO loud).

The first thing the dealer tried was to replace the speakers. Then they messed with some other connections. Then they changed some grounding thing. Then they blamed software and said to live with it. The speakers are NOT bad though. It's something else. I read that others have experienced this and the only thing that fixed the problem was replacing the entire TCU and my dealer won't do it.

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Jun 30 2005, 09:43 AM
Do you have Logic 7?? If you have Logic 7, the crackling is NOT a defect.? It's just distortion from the processing.? I get it all the time, because I use Logic 7 processing and listen to music loud...? and the style of music I listen to requires a top-notch stereo to play it....? which, unfortunately, the Logic 7 is not.

You're just learning how crappy factory audio systems are.

The crackling is processing noise, or you're playing louder than the system's limits can comfortably allow....? nothing more.

If you are going to check the speakers, however....? be sure to check where the wires are glued to the inside of the speaker voice coil.? inside a speaker, there will be 2 wires, and these wire are often glued to the speaker cone to prevent them from hitting the cone when it moves back & forth.? Sometimes heavy use, and/or weather conditions cause the glue to unstick.? Then the wires hit the spaker cone and make an awful buzzing noise.? A little crazy glue can fix this problem.

But, honestly....? I think it's just processing noise.
[snapback]144621[/snapback]
Old 07-01-2005, 07:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

If it's not Logic 7, then it's not the processing then.

It just means the stereo is crap.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Members

I MAY HAVE AN ANSWER - I had the popping occuring, sounded like a small stone hitting the windshield, and happened more when the temp was higher (pm) than in the cooler mornings. Noticed mostly on satelite radio.

Took it in and the dealer stated in short time it was the stereo amplifier. They had to order for replacement.

Note I do have logic 7 so that dealer who made that statement is nuts.

Quick Reply: Stereo Crackling