E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Stereo Crackling

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 07:32 PM
allenjdbimmer

I have it too, all sources. No logic 7. 11/03 build. But mine will usually just shut down for about 1 minute, then reappear working properly. Any help would certainly be appreciated, Info, Please!
Old 07-31-2004, 09:37 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same problem with the AM radio. The dealer installed a software update (version 12?). This did not fix the problem. I tried to schedule a second appointment with service and they told me there is nothing they can do until the next version of the software for Idrive is available (version 13). I am very upset that they would not schedule a service appointment to address an obvious problem. I have contacted BMWNA but so far no resolution.

I'd love to hear more from anyone who has worked with a dealer that can address this issue.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:42 AM
allenjdbimmer

This isn't a software issue. It's a defective amplifier somewhere. I just don't know much about how the e60 base audio system is setup. Yes, I have tried V 12 and no better.And there should be no reluctance among delers to replace this stuff under warranty. Guys, please stay on this one as it is quite frustrating to me and my tech.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:55 AM
trichman

Talking

I also have this problem. Scheduled an appointment with Hassel BMW for 8/18. They will have factory rep there on 8/19. My 530i is an Oct. 2003 build. Problem with temp loss of amp on all modes or crackling on all modes began in November. Clears up after a few minutes. Happens several times per week. Will log 15k sometime this week. Service Tech. at Hassel has observed problem.

Other than this issue, bluetooth and I-drive (which I knew about ahead of time) car is great.

Will keep you posted on repair.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

My service guy is completely aware of this problem that seems to be common to most of our cars.

Although it may be some problem with amplification, I think it is actually something related to software. The "static" I get is more of a crackle on real strong stations. No amplification is needed.

I think the problem is how the radio is dealing with the signal, not the signal itself.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:20 PM
Senior Members

Any update on this?

I first brought mine in for the 'STATIC' and they told me it needed a TCU unit and they would order it.

Brought it back and they say they replaced the 'ASK' unit, not the TCU unit.

Static is still there, only now it has more bass.

I know the FAQ say there is a service bulletin on this. Can anyone supply it so I can bring it to my dealer?

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Jul 29 2004, 12:45 PM
return/exchange under the lemon law is the last resort.
[snapback]19521[/snapback]
Here's a link to the Calif. Lemon Law.

Attorney Norman Taylor is a well known Lemon Law attorney.

It's not a short process.

I suggest asking for replacement parts if something can't be fixed. Don't accept anything less; that's what a warranty is for. It doesn't matter how much $$$ the replacement parts cost either. That's their problem.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed Titanium Silver/Black Interior Premium Package Sport Package Aux input 30 GB video iPod Cold Weather Package Xenon Red rear reflectors Tint Clear Bra

I had this exact problem 2 months ago (3rd week of ownership I think) but hasn't happened since (knock on wood).
Old 10-19-2004, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

Can everyone list how they got their hissing fixed on the Standard Audio (USA) system?

TCU? ASK unit? Both? Other items?

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2005, 11:12 AM
Contributors

I know this is an old thread, but still did not seem to have any final solutions.

The reason that I bring this up, is I am experiencing a static on all sources, CD, FM, SAT, etc. there is also a popping sometimes, and it is intermittent. Just started awhile ago. I have the L&.

Also, the volume seemed to control itself, as all of a sudden, it would be very loud. Thought it would blow a speaker. I turned the volume down, but the warning chimes were also very loud to the point it would scare the crap out of me and triing to adjust the volume would not work.

Seems like letting the car go into sleep mode cleared it up, but would return later. Wonder if it is like a loose connection, or software issue. Would not clear up with a quick car restart. I don't necessarily think it is a software issue, because it only started happening in the past month, and have not had any software update to the car when I got it in November.

It is going in on Monday since I also have the Idrive freezing up at the lawyer screen, and get Aux input installed, so I was curious to see what some of the final solutions were.

Quick Reply: Stereo Crackling