E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steptronic Slam is Back

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 07:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by mixterk' post='252673' date='Mar 10 2006, 11:05 AM
You should be able to get them programmed when your next in...thats basically all I did.

Just to report after 3 days in the shop I have seen a great improvement on the transmission problem, they sat that they havent re-intstalled the CIP (current 20.01), whatever theve done its seems great, fingers crossed
Old 03-12-2006, 07:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

If it is a lasting improvement, try and find out what they have done.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I have not had a Steptronic slam experience since right after my last software update. I suspect that my transmission has either learned not to do it or I have subconciously learned to avoid it.

How about the rest of you, did they really fix it this time or are you still getting the occasional whack-on-the-tail experience?
Old 05-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 523i. Alpine white, dakota leather, 8 speed auto, VDC, bluetooth, HID lights, parking sensors, sport seats, black window trim, tinted rear windows 1988 Ferrari 328 GTS, nero on rosso corsa. 1992 Mazda MX-5 / Miata 2009 Ford S-Max 2.5T

Originally Posted by blingo' post='252194' date='Mar 9 2006, 09:20 PM
Keith, if you get together with the Jags that have this problem, I'm sure you could interest the press.
Basically the conclusion is that this transmission sucks

The S-type Jag guys have the same problem. They even have a web page on it.

http://www.thelurch.com/lurching_zf_transmission.htm

On this site they also mention this BMW service bulletin:

"BMW TSB - SIB240305 bulletin:

SUBJECT
Harsh 2-1 Downshift

MODEL
E60 (545i); E63/64 645(Ci/Cic) with 6HP26 up to 04/05

SITUATION
Customer may complain of the following:

An excessively harsh 2-1 downshift when decelerating to a stop, or

Transmission "bangs" into gear when accelerating from a full or a "rolling" stop
(vehicle did not come to a complete stop).

CAUSE
EGS software.

CORRECTION
On a customer complaint basis only, reprogram/recode complete vehicle using SSS
with CIP on-line update 17.01, or higher.

Important:
Transmission temperature must remain below 50 deg C and trans shifter must be
placed in P position prior to the start of CIP programming."

This is also an interesting comment:

"I was a Jaguar test driver for about ten years before retiring a little less than two years ago. I have thousands and thousands of miles in the six speed ZF gearbox. A few early cars had the lurch that developed soon after going on the road but most didn't. The lurch I'm describing, and labeled Variant 1 on Dave's page, occurred when rolling to a stop and there is suddenly a severe bump and your first inclination is look in the rear view mirror to see who rear-ended your car. The engineers tore out their hair and e-mails and data flowed back and forth to the UK regarding this problem. As I recall the lurch was resolved in some cars at least temporarily and some cars just disappeared. We carried portable diagnostic units so we could pull fault codes, record data and clear the codes. The lurch produced no codes we could record."
Old 05-16-2006, 04:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i - ordered in January delivered April 21st! Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple.

I just had mine reprogrammed last week ? anyway I ran into a tech from another dealership at a BMWCCA event and he said bring the car in and tell the service writer your transmission problem and technicians are calling it a "California stop" -- when you don't come to a complete stop etc...
They found the error on my car and reprogrammed everything ? overnight process.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:12 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by Oaktree' post='283093' date='May 16 2006, 01:15 PM
I just had mine reprogrammed last week ? anyway I ran into a tech from another dealership at a BMWCCA event and he said bring the car in and tell the service writer your transmission problem and technicians are calling it a "California stop" -- when you don't come to a complete stop etc...
They found the error on my car and reprogrammed everything ? overnight process.

I have had no sensible response from either BMW UK or BMW AG.

The response of the latter which arrived last week is attached.

I may well have the car remapped by DMS, I suppose there is an outside chance that the performance improvement will mitigate the delayed take off that my car often experiences, but I'm not holding my breath.

In the meantime I just need to get in the habit of using DS mode a bit more.

File0019.pdf BMWAG2.pdf

:thumbsdown:
Old 05-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by KAF' post='283206' date='May 16 2006, 12:12 PM
I have had no sensible response from either BMW UK or BMW AG.

The response of the latter which arrived last week is attached.

I may well have the car remapped by DMS, I suppose there is an outside chance that the performance improvement will mitigate the delayed take off that my car often experiences, but I'm not holding my breath.

In the meantime I just need to get in the habit of using DS mode a bit more.

Attachment 18993 Attachment 18994

:thumbsdown:
Hmmmm... "...comprehensively explained the concept related functionality..." :'(

Now that's a mouthful of horse manure if I ever heard it. I'll keep that phrasing in mind for future use with our product marketing staff.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My Cars: 2004 545i Black with Balck | 6 Speed Manual | Sports Package | Moon Roof | Adaptive Steering | Smoking Package | Cold Weather Package | Adaptive Xenon | Premium Sound, LOGIC7 | Hard Wired V1 | AUX Input | Only 13K Miles! 2001 530i Green with Tan | Sport Package | Streptronic | Moon Roof | SOLD 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L (Beat my 530i off the line until about 40 MPH) | SOLD 1981 320i destroyed Other family members cars: 2008 Yukon Denali Black with Black 2007 Aston Martin DB9 Cabriolet Black with Black 2006 Mercedes G55 Black with Black | 2004 Yukon XL Denali Black with Tan | 2003 BMW X5 3.0 Silver with Black | Every option available | 2001 Porsche C4 Cabriolet Silver with Black | 6 Speed Manual | 1958 Austin Mini Green with Black Interior 67k Miles, Fully restored in 2003 | Beach Car

In my 530i Steptronic, I had this happen. It was as a result of my floormat resting on the accelerator and setting the idle limit higher than normal. I pulled the mat back and drove around for a bit, all fixed. Not sure if this could be similar but I thought I'd mention it.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:39 PM
Members

Hi. I just wanted to add that I myself have felt this "slam" feeling many times on my 520IA E60. First time i felt it was 2 weeks after i bought my car. I was breaking down for a red-light and suddenly i felt a thump in the whole car and like the feeling of a circular gas tank or whatever rolling into the car from behind. After that episode ive had it several times. Its hard to reproduce it on purpose and the sales guy though i was imagining it .. I had the car on service and they told me that the firmware for the xtronic system and the engine control circuits were very old, hence they decided to update it. It sorta better now, at least it doesnt happen as often as it did before
Old 08-05-2006, 07:58 AM
Members

Any X5 3.0 Diesel 6 Speed Auto Owners out there ? ... How many of you have this same "slam/Lurch" problem with the X5 3.0 D 6 Speed Auto ? Mine has exactly the same probs as described as you all have with the E60 (& the S Type Jag) - Funny, as they all have the same gearbox ??????? Any thoughts ?

Quick Reply: Steptronic Slam is Back