E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steptronic Slam is Back

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 12:41 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Mine is fixed. BMW overnighted a laptop with software to reprogram the transmission shift algarithm. It hasn't been widely released to dealers, hence the need to have a special laptop with software to correct the problem initially, I assume they are still testing the fix. Works fine though, haven't had a issue since.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Jet Black, Auburn leather, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Prem Sound, Steptronic, PDC, Comfort Seats, NAV, Shades, SAT 2006 325i Cabrio, Electric Red, Beige leather, Sport, Premium, Prem Sound, Steptronic, Heated seats Previous Bimmers: 2004 330i ZHP, Imola Red, Black leather, Premium, Steptronic, Heated seats 2002 325i, Orient Blue, Beige leather, Premium

Had my 545i Steptronic in for reprogram for "The Lurch", on Sept 8th. It had to spend overnight in service. After service noticeable difference in shifting...engine revs to higher RPMs in first gear. Thought the problem was solved...until yesterday, Sept 17th...slowing to turn a corner in DS mode and WHAM! This is really unsettling for such an expensive automobile.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by g8ordoc' post='335854' date='Sep 18 2006, 03:47 PM
Had my 545i Steptronic in for reprogram for "The Lurch", on Sept 8th. It had to spend overnight in service. After service noticeable difference in shifting...engine revs to higher RPMs in first gear. Thought the problem was solved...until yesterday, Sept 17th...slowing to turn a corner in DS mode and WHAM! This is really unsettling for such an expensive automobile.
After my last software update, I had two slam exeriences, but none since. I don't know if the tranny learned not to slam or I am just subconciously avoiding it. Although, I recently tried pretty hard a few times to reproduce it and still could not get it to slam. Someone previously posted that you need to do a coast down from 6th gear at about 60-70MPH to a near stop (no braking) in order to train the tranny to properly downshift. You might want to give that a try.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Jet Black, Auburn leather, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Prem Sound, Steptronic, PDC, Comfort Seats, NAV, Shades, SAT 2006 325i Cabrio, Electric Red, Beige leather, Sport, Premium, Prem Sound, Steptronic, Heated seats Previous Bimmers: 2004 330i ZHP, Imola Red, Black leather, Premium, Steptronic, Heated seats 2002 325i, Orient Blue, Beige leather, Premium

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='335856' date='Sep 18 2006, 03:57 PM
After my last software update, I had two slam exeriences, but none since. I don't know if the tranny learned not to slam or I am just subconciously avoiding it. Although, I recently tried pretty hard a few times to reproduce it and still could not get it to slam. Someone previously posted that you need to do a coast down from 6th gear at about 60-70MPH to a near stop (no braking) in order to train the tranny to properly downshift. You might want to give that a try.

At this point, I will try anything short of driving with the moonroof open in the rain. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:09 PM
Contributors

Since my transmission software reprogram about 2 months ago I have not had a single slam, and I have tried all the things that used to produce a slam before. As far as I am concerned the problem has been fixed.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 525D, auto, xenon, navsat pro, brown leather, pd, hifi, heated seats, sun-screens

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='335983' date='Sep 19 2006, 05:09 AM
Since my transmission software reprogram about 2 months ago I have not had a single slam, and I have tried all the things that used to produce a slam before. As far as I am concerned the problem has been fixed.

I have a lot of transmission slams even from 3rd to 4th. Up to a point where my dsc kicked in doing about 100km/h, scary.
I am now considering my car to be a safety hazard to me and my family. I don't drive my kids in this car anymore. Last week I had a total transmission melt down, safety protocols kicked in and I could only drive in second. I had to stop the car and do a hard reboot (turning off and on the car;-) to get it working again.
The dealer is going to replace the whole transmission box. Now, is that because of a manufacturing issue (the card is 1 year old) or is this due to the many violent transmission slams I have had.......
Old 09-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by etmaniac' post='336078' date='Sep 19 2006, 02:42 AM
I have a lot of transmission slams even from 3rd to 4th. Up to a point where my dsc kicked in doing about 100km/h, scary.
I am now considering my car to be a safety hazard to me and my family. I don't drive my kids in this car anymore. Last week I had a total transmission melt down, safety protocols kicked in and I could only drive in second. I had to stop the car and do a hard reboot (turning off and on the car;-) to get it working again.
The dealer is going to replace the whole transmission box. Now, is that because of a manufacturing issue (the card is 1 year old) or is this due to the many violent transmission slams I have had.......
Sounds like your problem is quite different from the typical transmission slam issue, replacing the transmission sounds like a good idea.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

Do others find that in DS mode that the car changes down a gear violently when breaking for a corner? Not sure what gear it is but could be first? Is this the slam as described before or another symptom for a different problem? my car is 8 months old now and i'm unsure of CIP version.

It is never a problem with D mode but i am not totally happy with it compared to a 525i i drove for a few days (see http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=31491&hl=)
Old 10-19-2006, 11:23 PM
Members

Hi guys. Anyone know if the latest software builds fix this? Or even more spesifically, wich software version?

best regards te
Old 10-20-2006, 04:46 AM
Members

My car was in for a week-the guy from Germany with the laptop arrived-reprogrammed it. The next day I drove about 8/10th of a mile and SLAM! Have had 3 SLAMS with the new software. Car now back in to have entire tranny replaced!

I am not ecstatic about this!

Quick Reply: Steptronic Slam is Back