E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steptronic Slam is Back

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 12:33 AM
KAF
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Had a reply to my letter from the Managing Director of ZF. :thumbsdown:

Showing a nippy hand off the BMW he should play for the Raiders, they need a QB.

He has said he will write to BMW about my concerns.

Keep watching this space for BMW's response...............................

(Copy letter att.)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ZF.pdf (137.1 KB, 181 views)
Old 03-09-2006, 08:52 AM
KAF
Contributors

Attached is the response from BMW.
Basically "Nothing wrong with our cars, you are an idiot, get lost"

Whilst many who know me might agree with the idiot bit , I have to say BMW customer service in the UK is without doubt shit !

End of the road by the look of it, unless 'mixterk' has had any luck.

All I can do now is wait for some better software than 20.01 and make up some fault that will cause an upgrade to see if it improves.
I am very, very disappointed in BMW and will spread news of this issue as widely as possible.

My motto has always been - 'Don't get mad...................get even !'

BMW_response_Pg_1.pdf BMW_Response_Pg_2_.pdf
Old 03-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

Keith, if you get together with the Jags that have this problem, I'm sure you could interest the press.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:24 AM
KAF
Contributors

Shame I don't have the IT skills to set up a 'bmwstinks.com' website and hack thier corporate site to redirect to it.

That might make them pay attention !
Old 03-09-2006, 11:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by KAF' post='252151' date='Mar 9 2006, 05:52 PM

Whilst many who know me might agree with the idiot bit , I have to say BMW customer service in the UK is without doubt shit !

End of the road by the look of it, unless 'mixterk' has had any luck.

All I can do now is wait for some better software than 20.01 and make up some fault that will cause an upgrade to see if it improves.
I am very, very disappointed in BMW and will spread news of this issue as widely as possible.

My motto has always been - 'Don't get mad...................get even !'

Attachment 16386 Attachment 16387
typical...crap response, very disapointing, it seems endemic in the aftersales of all the big German brands...Ive heard MB is much worse!!

So an update, My car is back it was in the shop for 3 days. Heres the response from the dealer when describing what was done...remember it was in the shop for transmission issues, and I aked them to do two other tasks none related. This is what was said..

"Well the good news is that your door mirrors now fold on the key button" (they do and I'm happy) and "weve fitted your ACS splitters to the front of your car" (they have and they look great).............(then came the silence)........so I ask...."what about the transmision?", "after all thats why it was in here" and it was you guys who stated 3 days before I asked for the other jobs to be done....

"Oh yeah the guys ran the diagnostics and no problem was found" "we cant install any new software because you have the latest from your vist 2 weeks ago" Blah Blah Blah.

Anyhoo the upshot is that they did some cycling of the transmission in which they have a laptop in the car to monitor the changes and timings (all reported well),as they run it up to 70mph and then let the car coast down through the gear box by lifting off the juice. Not sure how many cycles they did (Ive heard it said 15 is needed). Since I picked it up Ive only done about 10 miles but it does seem much better. I have a sneaky feeling that they have simply done a more thorough version of the job they where asked to do last time the car was in.

Not counting any chickens yet but so far so good..

Fingers crossed.........

Mick
Old 03-09-2006, 11:59 AM
KAF
Contributors

I was thinking of getting a couple of boys from the local pub to give mine the once over...........................................wit h a molotov !!
Old 03-09-2006, 12:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by KAF' post='252151' date='Mar 9 2006, 11:52 AM

I am confused. They call it merely a delay of torque or some such thing. Aren't you talking about the slam with them? The sensation of getting rear-ended by a huge truck is far different than a delay as is mentioned in the letter. Is BMW downplaying the event or are we talking about two different things here?

In any case, I would not give up at this point. Write a new letter directly to the CEO of BMW in Germany and include all your related correspondence to date.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:02 AM
KAF
Contributors

One mans mountain is another mans molehill !

They are never going to admit to a major issue and will try to minimise things as much as possible.

You need to appreciate the consumer protection culture in Europe is light years behind the US. mainly because it is much more difficult and expensive to take legal action against big companies.

If you think big business has politicians in it's pocket in the US, you ain't seen nothing compared to Europe and other parts of the globe.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

Originally Posted by mixterk' post='252267' date='Mar 9 2006, 08:53 PM
"Well the good news is that your door mirrors now fold on the key button" (they do and I'm happy)
Mick,

Mine don't, didn't know they were supposed to. Found they unfold by themselves at a few mph but thought that was it for neat tricks. Do you have to have comfort access or something, or can I just request this be programmed when it is next in?

Chris
Old 03-10-2006, 02:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by blingo' post='252654' date='Mar 10 2006, 09:51 AM
Mick,

Mine don't, didn't know they were supposed to. Found they unfold by themselves at a few mph but thought that was it for neat tricks. Do you have to have comfort access or something, or can I just request this be programmed when it is next in?

Chris
You should be able to get them programmed when your next in...thats basically all I did.

Quick Reply: Steptronic Slam is Back